Scientology, A Cult?

Why would the romans document that which they barely recognize? It woud be fun to get deep enough into catholocism to actually have access to the things they have hidden. Considering they were the driving force behind the almost abolition of the bible, and had it not been for the curiosity of King James we may not have it today. Can anyone tell me why King James had the bible translated from greek?
LOL... Lois you're so crazy sometimes... Are you kidding me? King James saved the Bible??!?!? Dude seriously, are you even a Christian? Don't you think that GOD probably had something to do with it?!?!!?ROFL. ps. the King James bible is not the 'correct' version... or else everyone that died before 1566 would not have had the 'right' version. How can you not see how crazy it is to think that a direct translation from the ORIGINAL manuscripts is worse than the King James... oh and "although it is often referred to as the King James Version, the only active part King James took in the translation was lifting the criminal (death) penalty attached to its translation and setting very reasonable guidelines for the translation process (such as prohibiting partisan scholarship and footnotes.)"
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL... Lois you're so crazy sometimes... Are you kidding me? King James saved the Bible??!?!? Dude seriously, are you even a Christian? Don't you think the GOD probably had something to do with it?!?!!?ROFL. ps. the King James bible is not the 'correct' version... or else everyone that died before 1566 would not have had the 'right' version. How can you not see how crazy it is to think that a direct translation from the ORIGINAL manuscripts is worse than the King James... oh and "although it is often referred to as the King James Version, the only active part King James took in the translation was lifting the criminal (death) penalty attached to its translation and setting very reasonable guidelines for the translation process (such as prohibiting partisan scholarship and footnotes.)"
Whatever.
Whatever.
That was the flippant answer. My actual reply would be this- there are always going to be versions claiming to be better-the KJV is the closest you can get to the original text and still be understood, without losing some of it's original poetice style. God is, well, he is musical in his ways.

Besides being pretty accurate (though the wording is way out of date to trust with our wording today)...what is another possible reason that the KJV was so popular? Yes lois the KJV is pretty accurate..but in terms of most accurate it isnt anymore. More scrolls have been uncovered since then and that has only led to more accurate versions. Also the fact that when read in english the KJV is poetic is a major indication of the problems with the KJV. There is not a smooth transition from greek to english and so the fact that the "poetic" word was chosen and not the best word should make u question it.

Besides being pretty accurate (though the wording is way out of date to trust with our wording today)...what is another possible reason that the KJV was so popular? Yes lois the KJV is pretty accurate..but in terms of most accurate it isnt anymore. More scrolls have been uncovered since then and that has only led to more accurate versions. Also the fact that when read in english the KJV is poetic is a major indication of the problems with the KJV. There is not a smooth transition from greek to english and so the fact that the "poetic" word was chosen and not the best word should make u question it.
I have a problem when the NIV changes doctrine by replacing words that are not there in the KJV. It's very subtle, and most definitely the work of satan. I guarantee you that any versions you claim are more accurate have been financed by baptist organozations.
I have a problem when the NIV changes doctrine by replacing words that are not there in the KJV. It's very subtle, and most definitely the work of satan. I guarantee you that any versions you claim are more accurate have been financed by baptist organozations.
:club: Best line on this thread!
Lets see, you point out your reasons for the KJV being 'the' Bible.I show them to be blatant mistakes.You get pissy at me because making you admit those mistakes somehow tarnishes a deceased friend.Then you come over to this thread and continue to bang on that anything that is not the KJV is the work of Satan...You sir are scum
Who said anything about the NIV? The NIV is a phrase for phrase translation so yes it isnt as accurate as others.But you will find the most accurate to be the NASB version which is a word for word translation. If you read the NASB you will notice that it is a harder read because the "best" word was chosen. Not the words that made it easiest to read or the most poetic but the one that best fulfilled the greek word. Like I said..even you admitted that the KJV is "poetic" and frankly the translation from greek to english is a pretty rough one and it definately isnt poetic.
If the bible is so important to understanding our existence, why don't people bother to learn Greek?The only "true" copy of the Q'uran according to Islam is the Arabic one.
b/c for the most part translations are good...but yes when there is a problem we do go to the greek or hebrew for clarification of an issue
Lets see, you point out your reasons for the KJV being 'the' Bible.I show them to be blatant mistakes.You get pissy at me because making you admit those mistakes somehow tarnishes a deceased friend.Then you come over to this thread and continue to bang on that anything that is not the KJV is the work of Satan...You sir are scum
I admitted those mistakes immediately, and you still feel the need to talk ****, saying that he was "obviously" a member of some sort of KJV movement and that I should question evrything he ever told me. I wonder why nobody else is joining in on your little crusade- is it because your only goal is to be as big an *** as you can? Hmm, I wonder. When other translations take away from doctrine- which they do- then yes I will continue to call it the work of satan(because it is) and gladly accept you calling me scum. Matt, I will be going out this weekend and buying a NASB, because I am interested in comparative analysis. Which one do you personally use?
  • 1 month later...

I am bumping this thread because I have become good friends with the author of the article. Mark did his investigative work back in 1995 and the article was published in 1996. Mark has lost jobs because of the dead agent tactics of Scientologist, including a gig with Rolling Stone. If you have not read this article, I strongly suggest you do so. I also agree that Scientology is a form of terrorism and if Bush was serious about threats of terrorism, he would put money and efforts towards eradicating all cults, especially this very dangerous organization.

I also agree that Scientology is a form of terrorism and if Bush was serious about threats of terrorism, he would put money and efforts towards eradicating all cults, especially this very dangerous organization.
he's too busy with the agenda of his own cult
I am bumping this thread because I have become good friends with the author of the article. Mark did his investigative work back in 1995 and the article was published in 1996. Mark has lost jobs because of the dead agent tactics of Scientologist, including a gig with Rolling Stone. If you have not read this article, I strongly suggest you do so. I also agree that Scientology is a form of terrorism and if Bush was serious about threats of terrorism, he would put money and efforts towards eradicating all cults, especially this very dangerous organization.
The easier way to say this:
Scientology, A Cult?
Yes.
Shouldn't be too hard for you to provide a small sample then.Just one.Please.And don't talk for others. It's rude and it adds no weight to your arguments. I'm sure all the educated Muslims, Jews, Scientologists and agnostics have their own voices.
1. The people who had first hand knowledge of Jesus died horrible deaths while spreading the news about him. Why would they die for something they knew to be false (ie, he didn't rise from the dead, but the diciples stole his body). If they knew he was just a man, and didn't really rise from the dead, then why did they go to their deaths teaching this. 2. How did Rome, who for hundreds of years had worshiped thousands of gods, convert completely to Christianity less than 100 years after Christs death. Something extraodinary obviously happened during that time period.
1. The people who had first hand knowledge of Jesus died horrible deaths while spreading the news about him. Why would they die for something they knew to be false (ie, he didn't rise from the dead, but the diciples stole his body). If they knew he was just a man, and didn't really rise from the dead, then why did they go to their deaths teaching this.
are you gonna bring this up in every thread? people have historically died for cult beliefs they "knew" to be true first hand many times. there is nothing unique about christianity in that respect.
2. How did Rome, who for hundreds of years had worshiped thousands of gods, convert completely to Christianity less than 100 years after Christs death. Something extraodinary obviously happened during that time period.
what are you talking about? christianity was still considered a subversive fringe cult by the roman government and christians were still being persecuted as late as 180 AD (marcus aurelius).
2. How did Rome, who for hundreds of years had worshiped thousands of gods, convert completely to Christianity less than 100 years after Christs death. Something extraodinary obviously happened during that time period.
Edit: Removed because of the inevitable misinterpretations of what I was saying...too lazy to deal with the fallout.
are you gonna bring this up in every thread? people have historically died for cult beliefs they "knew" to be true first hand many times. there is nothing unique about christianity in that respect. what are you talking about? christianity was still considered a subversive fringe cult by the roman government and christians were still being persecuted as late as 180 AD (marcus aurelius).
Sorry, I wasn't talking to you this time, just responding to a specific question in this thread. 1. Give examples, do it in new post though. This is about Scientology.2. I edited my post, you are right, I will have to go back and research the time period again, thanks alot :club:
  • 11 months later...
I also agree that Scientology is a form of terrorism and if Bush was serious about threats of terrorism, he would put money and efforts towards eradicating all cults, especially this very dangerous organization.
You shouldn't say stuff like this if you want people to take you seriously.Just trying to help.

Finished reading the article, and as I was expecting, there is some pretty strange behaviour and beliefs among scientologists. However, there is nothing really that surprising and shocking considering it is just another cult/religion. It is beyond my comprehension how a Christian will say that Mormon's believe in "crazy" things, and Mormons will say the same thing about scientologists, but none of them are able to acknowledge that ALL their beliefs are equally illogical.Why is it crazy to believe in thetans and whatnots, but to believe in a virgin giving birth makes perfect sense? I really don't mind people believing in whatever they want, but it is disturbing to see people apply standards to other beliefs using logic and rationality, but will refuse to do the same when examining their own beliefs. If you think Mormonism is stupid/crazy/wrong whatever, fine. If you think scientologists are terrorists because of all the mobneys they have and how they use it to influnce over serious matters, that is fine too. But please, stop for a second and acknowledge that the same is true for every religion in the world. I know it has been said over and over again, but an atheist is just like any other religious person, except that he doesn't believe in only ONE extra religion. We don't discriminate these myths, we treat them all the same way.Scientology is not a big deal outside the US as far as I'm concerned... Don't we have enough ways of achieving eternal happiness already?One last thing I'd like to add. Do people really want to spen the rest of eternity strolling around heaven with god, J-C and the rest of the gang? How boring does this seem? The thought of heaven and an eternity with the most boring people in the world is the opposite of appealing to me. Unfortunately I feel that assuming that there is Heaven and Hell as described by the bible, I feel that I would rather spend my eternity with the likes of Bill Hicks, Jimi Hendrix, Albert Einstein, Darwin, Bertrand Russel, John Lennon, Ghandi, Karl Popper, Albert Camus..etc etc. The list is endless.

Finished reading the article, and as I was expecting, there is some pretty strange behaviour and beliefs among scientologists. However, there is nothing really that surprising and shocking considering it is just another cult/religion. It is beyond my comprehension how a Christian will say that Mormon's believe in "crazy" things, and Mormons will say the same thing about scientologists, but none of them are able to acknowledge that ALL their beliefs are equally illogical.Why is it crazy to believe in thetans and whatnots, but to believe in a virgin giving birth makes perfect sense? I really don't mind people believing in whatever they want, but it is disturbing to see people apply standards to other beliefs using logic and rationality, but will refuse to do the same when examining their own beliefs. If you think Mormonism is stupid/crazy/wrong whatever, fine. If you think scientologists are terrorists because of all the mobneys they have and how they use it to influnce over serious matters, that is fine too. But please, stop for a second and acknowledge that the same is true for every religion in the world. I know it has been said over and over again, but an atheist is just like any other religious person, except that he doesn't believe in only ONE extra religion. We don't discriminate these myths, we treat them all the same way.Scientology is not a big deal outside the US as far as I'm concerned... Don't we have enough ways of achieving eternal happiness already?One last thing I'd like to add. Do people really want to spen the rest of eternity strolling around heaven with god, J-C and the rest of the gang? How boring does this seem? The thought of heaven and an eternity with the most boring people in the world is the opposite of appealing to me. Unfortunately I feel that assuming that there is Heaven and Hell as described by the bible, I feel that I would rather spend my eternity with the likes of Bill Hicks, Jimi Hendrix, Albert Einstein, Darwin, Bertrand Russel, John Lennon, Ghandi, Karl Popper, Albert Camus..etc etc. The list is endless.
As soon as you used the term mobneys I stopped reading. Not really,I finished, but didn't want to. If you can't see the difference between somebody saying,"Hey, a guy came and died for your sins, believe in it and he will help you be a better person. Tell a friend" and,"Hey, we owe a debt to our alien father. Strap this to your head and lets take a gander at your brain. By the way, whats your credit like?" Man, if you can't see the difference... words can't express how much I hurt for you.
As soon as you used the term mobneys I stopped reading. Not really,I finished, but didn't want to. If you can't see the difference between somebody saying,"Hey, a guy came and died for your sins, believe in it and he will help you be a better person. Tell a friend" and,"Hey, we owe a debt to our alien father. Strap this to your head and lets take a gander at your brain. By the way, whats your credit like?" Man, if you can't see the difference... words can't express how much I hurt for you.
I didn't think there was a problem with the term "mobneys", thankfully you read the rest anyway. I' ll refrain from using it in the future.Now, let's address what you said, because you're implying something that is completely altered by YOUR perception on Christianity and Scientology. If you could try and be slightly more objective you would perhaps understand why we can't see a difference between the two. Wait. Don't start hurting for me yet.First of all, regarding the bolded statement above you must realize that most people do not boil down christianity to that, and neither should you. A more correct statement would be:"Hey, a guy came and died for your sins (alarm bells 1), he is the son of a virgin with God (alarm bells 2) and if you believe in him you will go to the most amazing place forever and ever, but if you don't you will go to the worst place imaginable (alarm bells 3). I've heard this from a book, written by men who never actually met him but they MUST be telling the truth because why would they believe in something that could get you killed if it wasn't true (alarm bells 4). Believe in this, and you will become a better person. Tell a friend. By the way, if you give should give us some of your money (alarm bells 5) every month (tithe)."I'll be brief with the scientology, because I basically agree with what you wrote about it. You did however forget (omit?) to add that they also tell followers that they will become better people. And omitting that is pretty dishonest IMO seeing as that is the crucial aspect of religions/cults in general.Tried to keep it short, hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying. How's your hurt for me now?