Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Hmmm, I must really not understand what you do. Why would earning more money be worse for you?

Also, I too was surprised to learn that Frau didn't already make $70ish....

I work in non-profit, as a fundraiser. I'm happiest in small to mid-range organizations, and don't want to be part of the admin side (like executive director). If I wanted to make a lot of money (and frankly, had a different skill set) I could make six figures as a development officer (sometimes called major gifts officer) at a large organization. USC has an enormous campaign going right now--they're always hiring.

It's a $6 billion total, with $3 billion to endowment, and $3 billion to annual fund type programs. I would be miserable at a place like that--they have several hundred fundraisers.

I want my next place to have about 10 people in Development, and I'm imagining the total operating budget to be $10-15 million. While I'm still sweating the end of this month, if all the gifts come in the way they've been promised, I think we're going to finish about 20% ahead FY13. That's pure revenue dollars, not counting multi-year pledges.

I've job hopped a little, using each job as leverage for the next one. This organization has been my best fit, I've been able to radically improve my title, and get raises within 12 months.

As for your surprise at my lower pay, I point back to Napa's post. I know my situation isn't the same as BC's, but there might be some parallels. My immediate supervisor (male, obv) probably makes between $70-80K. He's seriously underperforms in this workplace--this has been okay for me up to a point. He's had a much more serious career than I have (at other prestigious organizations), and his recommendation and general professional network is one of my best future bets.

I've been able to expand my current job, and just do as much work as I can. I take on a lot of responsibilities. Internally, most people in the organization know I'm running the day-to-day. Externally, I'm referred to as "one of Immediate Supervisor's girls."

Don't worry, I already make as much as she did in 3 years here than she did in 8 and if she's not exaggerating how big of raise I'm budgeted for in a month than I'll be making almost as much as she does now.

I'm assuming that I'm as excited as everybody else that as of today we start paid vacation until mid July.

Going to the Art Institute tomorrow.

!!!!!!!

I just joined LACMA, primarily to get around stupid long lines for the upcoming Van Gogh/Kandinsky show. I joined at a higher level, and will get into Art Institute for free. I also get invited to art classes, after hour parties, etc. I gotta use this head shot, you know?

• Like 1

Chicago residents go to the art institute for free through the taxpayer waste loser-employment machines known as 'libraries'

The Field has a carved stone Egyptian head that looks just like Michael Jackson.

Egyptian-Michael-Jackson-bust_custom.jpg?s=3

It finally got media and internet attention but it used to be an inside thing.

I saw it before Michael had fully completed his transition into a white woman but even then, it was pretty startling and I thought it was some sort of troll job by the curators. The fact that over time he had himself carved up to look *exactly* like that is just bizarre.

The missing nose thing just caps it.

• Like 2

Scram,

Please confirm the ethnic stereotype science. Anyone who is low to middle class, and has a hairdresser making house calls can only be a black woman.

• Like 1

Adam Carolla calls that Rich man/poor man. Something that only the very rich or the very poor do. Stars and mega rich getting the stylists to come to them, or Juanna having L'Rochael come over to tighten up her braids.

• Like 1

Adam Carolla calls that Rich man/poor man. Something that only the very rich or the very poor do. Stars and mega rich getting the stylists to come to them, or Juanna having L'Rochael come over to tighten up her braids.

Adobe houses are that way.

If you live in an adobe house, you're either very wealthy or very poor.

Scram,

Please confirm the ethnic stereotype science. Anyone who is low to middle class, and has a hairdresser making house calls can only be a black woman.

Low/middle class white women don't care about their hair, so yes.

I just joined LACMA, primarily to get around stupid long lines for the upcoming Van Gogh/Kandinsky show. I joined at a higher level, and will get into Art Institute for free. I also get invited to art classes, after hour parties, etc. I gotta use this head shot, you know?

Awesome!

Chicago residents go to the art institute for free through the taxpayer waste loser-employment machines known as 'libraries'

I definitely would have taken advantage of this, especially for The Field and Shedd, but you have to be an IL resident to get a Chicago library card. If they ever change that rule, I'll be first in line to take your money.

78? thats criminal.

Truth brother, truth.

There is Zero chance I wouldn't have my wife tell her mom that we will be staying in a hotel unless the AC is no higher than 70 at night. The mom will then take care of the dad, since she wants the grandkids at her house.

My in-laws have a pretty big house and electricity in CA is crazy expensive. When they first moved into the house after having it built they were surprised (to say the least) to get a $1200 electric bill the first hot month of summer. Since then the father in law is very miserly, like I said, with the temp. Hard to blame him really.

I've never put my foot down like that but I've thought about it. I have made comments to my wife that I'll be getting a hotel room if it's too hot to sleep. I think the mother in law told

him to let us control the A/C in our room while we're here because he doesn't bitch anymore, too much, when we turn it down. They have a studio apartment over their garage where we stay when we are here and it's got it's own climate zone. I turn it down to about 75 at night. I like the guy and don't want to be the cause of his heart attack when he opens the electric bill the month after we've visited.

Sweet tea really is awful.

I honestly don't know how anyone drinks it. My first trip out to my last company's headquarters in South Carolina we went out to local hamburger joint/landmark called the beacon. Wanting to experience the southern culture a little bit I ordered sweet tea. I might have taken 4 sips of it before I just couldn't do it anymore. Slightly tea flavored syrup is a better description. Awful.

I definitely would have taken advantage of this, especially for The Field and Shedd, but you have to be an IL resident to get a Chicago library card. If they ever change that rule, I'll be first in line to take your money.

You live on "the northside" yet haven't a single friend who could be asked something like "Hey, I need someone with a Chicago library card to check me out some passes to the museums... Can you take care of that?" ?

The last time I was at the Art Institute, I got pretty effing hilarious cel phone video of the black guards having a conversation that was so comically loud, stereotypical and disruptive, I actually felt the need to record it.

Tilt,

Your father-in-law is house poor. He put all his money into a house he can't afford to keep at an equitable temperature, and takes it out on others. I would be sure to bring that up next time you are over there.

• Like 5

I honestly don't know how anyone drinks it. My first trip out to my last company's headquarters in South Carolina we went out to local hamburger joint/landmark called the beacon. Wanting to experience the southern culture a little bit I ordered sweet tea. I might have taken 4 sips of it before I just couldn't do it anymore. Slightly tea flavored syrup is a better description. Awful.

Your upcoming interview will probably have a social situation with sweet tea consumption being the power move.

• Like 2

Your upcoming interview will probably have a social situation with sweet tea consumption being the power move.

It's going to be like George Castanza's interview in the loud suit, except instead of food poisoning, everyone else will get diabetes.

• Like 2

Sweet tea really is awful.

Booooo.

I had a delicious Arnold Palmer today at a wedding reception. I ordered one a few weeks ago at a Carrabba's but had forgotten that the heathens around here default to unsweet iced tea.

Maybe I'm a hummingbird, cause I love me some liquid sugar.

You live on "the northside" yet haven't a single friend who could be asked something like "Hey, I need someone with a Chicago library card to check me out some passes to the museums... Can you take care of that?" ?

The last time I was at the Art Institute, I got pretty effing hilarious cel phone video of the black guards having a conversation that was so comically loud, stereotypical and disruptive, I actually felt the need to record it.

I don't have any good friends that live in Chicago, and I'm super far north. Kenosha.

I just shot a load in a futuristic silicon Japanese sex cylinder, settled an argument over whether the restaurant Shoney's serves shirley temples, using my iPhone, and am now looking at the ingredients in a Roy Rogers, so as to compare them to a shirley temple, using my iPad. These companies are finally starting to get what it is I'm passionate about in life, and build things that can help me with those passions.

Also, don't go to Shoney's. The shirley temple is not on the menu, and they aren't even good anyway, to my recollection.

• Like 1
Also, don't go to Shoney's. The shirley temple is not on the menu, and they aren't even good anyway, to my recollection.
Doubtful that most of them know Shoney's. It's basically a southeast thing. We used to go for their breakfast buffet frequently when we were kids. Haven't been to one in over a decade though probably.

Tilt,

Your father-in-law is house poor. He put all his money into a house he can't afford to keep at an equitable temperature, and takes it out on others. I would be sure to bring that up next time you are over there.

Oh, I don't need to tell him, he's quite aware. They bought 85 acres of bare land sometime around 2000/2001 with the plan being to build a house and retire out there. They got around to putting their house in town on the market less than a year too late, as the housing boom was starting to bust. They still got $350k for their 1450 sq ft track house but could have got $400 - $450k several months earlier.

Then, and to this day I don't know why, they had a house built that is way more house than a retired couple really needs and upgraded everything. I don't know that it was the intent going in but it evolved into their dream house...with a price tag of somewhere in the $750 - $800k range. Of course by then the housing market and stock market had taken a beating (which is where my father in laws money is/was) so he ended up having to work another 8 years or so longer than he intended.

2 or 3 years ago they were very close to having to sell the place or risk losing it as the mortgage was higher than they had planned on and my father in laws income from investments was lower than expected. They managed to refinance and the market came back so they're okay now but not so okay that he can absorb $1200 electric bills 4 months out of the year.

The whole thing has been kind of surreal because, though it may not seem like it from what I've written, he's always been very conservative and good with his money.

While that's not likely in Chicago it would be just my luck. But hell, by that time I will probably need the sugar rush just to have a minimum level of cognitive thinking ability.

Doubtful that most of them know Shoney's. It's basically a southeast thing. We used to go for their breakfast buffet frequently when we were kids. Haven't been to one in over a decade though probably.

My partner and I have have a combined 40ish years living in the south. I've been there <10 times, and my partner remembers it well enough that they think Shoney'ses have a bars. I'm kind of impressed even you remember Shoney's at all. I was surprised it's still open, too.

The last time I was at a Shoney's was probably one near Six Flags over GA, in grade school.

The whole thing has been kind of surreal because, though it may not seem like it from what I've written, he's always been very conservative and good with his money.

It's amazing how one dumbass decision can completely change a person's retirement picture. The extra few hundred K not compounding in his IRA/etc. coupled with that extra $2-3k/mo expense... over 20 years, that's like a 1-2mm swing, if not more.

Probably the funniest is watching clients convince themselves that they can downsize instead of cutting other expenses... pay selling costs, etc. only to land in a new place that costs about the same.

• Like 1