I Called In Sick Today

Wang, I love you, but that would have been fucking awesome if that shot went in.
**** you. Nobody likes you at all.
There was a split second there when the ball was in the air where I thought, "holy shit that's going to go in."
A palooza of dorks is exactly what that thing was.
That was all very awesome.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Poppy - so what is this thing you went to actually called?So that was an amazing game last night, and if that shot would have gone in, it may have been the second best shot in NCAA history (second to airball layup for NC State(maybe)). What are your most memorable NCAA shots/moments?

There was a split second there when the ball was in the air where I thought, "holy shit that's going to go in."
I thought it was banking in, right untill it hit the inside of the rim and popped out. That thing was centimeters from going in.
What are your most memorable NCAA shots/moments?
The thing is, there are too many to count...you get a handful every single year in the tournament. But I guess you have to go with shots that win Final Four or Championship games. I dunno, Laettner? Though I know you hate Duke...are you just on the hater bandwagon, or is there reasoning behind it?I've really never understood hating Duke for anyone but conference rivals. It's like people prefer their basketball players to have double digit IQs and get arrested all the time. And get mad when a team's fans are a bunch of smart kids. God I hate kids that work hard, do well in school, AND root for their team (no harder than any other big sports program, when you think about it).
It's like people prefer their basketball players to have double digit IQs and get arrested all the time. And get mad when a team's fans are a bunch of smart kids. God I hate kids that work hard, do well in school, AND root for their team (no harder than any other big sports program, when you think about it).
OK I'll say it. It's not their IQ, it's white people we hate.

I can't really put my finger on the exact reason I hate Duke. I know Laettner was a big reason for it, I just couldn't stand his consant whining. Also my little brother was a big Duke fan back then, which gave me more reasons to root against them, but I think Laettner is the big reason.As for my most memorable moment, I think it's when Bryce Drew hit that long 3 pointer for Valparaiso in 1998 to upset Ole Miss. That was back when a 13 beating a 4 was a big deal.

OK I'll say it. It's not their IQ, it's white people we hate.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how to address that, because it's even weirder. It's like even white fans don't like the idea of a team with 50% white players actually doing well. That's just the way it is...college basketball is more of a team game, plus obviously the talent pool is weaker, so whiteys can actually be active parts of dominating squads. Why good white players are easy to hate, I have no idea.And it is partly the IQ thing, which may be why the common fan seemed to hate black Duke players like Jason Williams and Shane Battier. Although they probably just hated them because they played for Duke.
Poppy - so what is this thing you went to actually called?
MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference
So that was an amazing game last night, and if that shot would have gone in, it may have been the second best shot in NCAA history (second to airball layup for NC State(maybe)). What are your most memorable NCAA shots/moments?
I don't know where it would've ranked because I don't know all the history behind some of the other memorable shots, but it's a stone cold lock that ESPN et al would've immediately ranked it as the greatest of all-time. Of course, it might've been just that.The Laettner one stands out for me because it was such a great game and it's one of the few plays where I remember where I was when it happened (at some little out-of-town mostly empty Mexican restaurant that had one small TV up in the corner). I was there with a few friends and we all had the same "OOOHHH" reaction and the few people who were there all stopped to look at us. I remember the Tyus Edney coast-to-coast winner against Illinois. That fantastic Bryce Drew game-winner.Scottie Thurman hitting that rainmaker 3 to beat Duke.My earliest memory is the Keith Smart winner for Indiana over Syracuse.Those are the first ones to come to mind.

Also, I think any time a team has really strongly identified fans, and has some success too, there is going to be some kind of backlash. For example, when it becomes so central to their identity that they distinguish themselves as Red Sox fans, it becomes more important to me that I'm not, somehow. disclaimer: I am giving a talk this afternoon on the brain systems for social identity in sports fans.regarding the tournament, I am still scarred because my freshman year at michigan Chris Webber called that non-existant timeout and ruined everything we had vicariously worked for.

Also, I think any time a team has really strongly identified fans, and has some success too, there is going to be some kind of backlash. For example, when it becomes so central to their identity that they distinguish themselves as Red Sox fans, it becomes more important to me that I'm not, somehow. disclaimer: I am giving a talk this afternoon on the brain systems for social identity in sports fans.
Be sure to let them know how the fictional people you speak to through and electric box feel about Duke.
Be sure to let them know how the fictional people you speak to through and electric box feel about Duke.
It took a survey of 120 fictional people on said box to confirm that fans of our school really do hate that other school. Ground-breaking work I am doing here.

Man I hate Duke, but I'm happy for Wang. I feel bad for Butler. I don't know how Wang could have possible handled watching the last 30 seconds of that game. I was stressed out for him and I had nothing riding on it.

If I was a high school basketball player that was good enough to be a starter at a big program, but not NBA material, I would want to go to Duke. I just think it would be so much fun to play in front of that crowd and it's a great school to boot.But if I was a John Wall-type player, I'd just go with whichever coach I think would best prepare me for the NBA.

The whole sports fan thing is also funny because it's a good demonstration of how most people will try to identify themselves with a group whenever possible. Our high school vs the next town's high school. Then we're buddies with the next high school when it's our county vs another county. Then we're all friends when it's our state team vs another state. Then our country vs another country. And, when aliens arrive, we'll finally have a reason to band together as a planetary community.

I remember the Tyus Edney coast-to-coast winner against Illinois.
I forgot who it was, but yeah, that was a great one that will always stick in my mind.
Also, I think any time a team has really strongly identified fans, and has some success too, there is going to be some kind of backlash. For example, when it becomes so central to their identity that they distinguish themselves as Red Sox fans, it becomes more important to me that I'm not, somehow.
I'm still a sox fan, but I definitely try to separate myself from the Pink Hats.
disclaimer: I am giving a talk this afternoon on the brain systems for social identity in sports fans.
That's pretty awesome. Can you tape/post it for us?
If I was a high school basketball player that was good enough to be a starter at a big program, but not NBA material, I would want to go to Duke. I just think it would be so much fun to play in front of that crowd and it's a great school to boot.But if I was a John Wall-type player, I'd just go with whichever coach I think would best prepare me for the NBA.
If I'm John Wall, I'm either going to my local state school where I can be a hero, or I'm going somewhere that's warm and full of hot coeds that'll fuck me because I'm a star.
So that was an amazing game last night, and if that shot would have gone in, it may have been the second best shot in NCAA history (second to airball layup for NC State(maybe)). What are your most memorable NCAA shots/moments?
It's already been said, but the Tyus Edney coast to coast is the first shot that comes to mind, even above the Laettner turnaround.For some reason the other basketball moment that sticks out was about 5 years back during a conference tournament. Memphis was down 2 with very little time on the clock and a guy is fouled at the buzzer shooting a 3. He makes the first, misses the next 2, and collapses in the lane.Edit: For some reason, this is one of the 3 moments in my life where I remember where I was (9/11, OJ verdict). There may be more, but they aren't coming to mind right now.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...04373/index.htm
The whole sports fan thing is also funny because it's a good demonstration of how most people will try to identify themselves with a group whenever possible. Our high school vs the next town's high school. Then we're buddies with the next high school when it's our county vs another county. Then we're all friends when it's our state team vs another state. Then our country vs another country. And, when aliens arrive, we'll finally have a reason to band together as a planetary community.
Yes, this is totally fascinating to me. Part of the reason I decided to study it in the realm of sports is that its one of the few areas where we really have no shame about expressing our group membership. People color themselves up, wave flags, etc., and its totally acceptable to just really hate the other side. I can't really think of any other situation like that, except maybe gangs. (fraternities/sororities?)
That's pretty awesome. Can you tape/post it for us?
Only if you're willing to start an internet campaign to help the victims of the 2010 colliding worlds disaster. I'll post a summary later on though.
I remember the Tyus Edney coast-to-coast winner against Illinois.
Missouri. And it became even more special years later when I decided to go to KU.Also, I remember crying when UNLV lost to Duke in the Final Four in 1991.And also, when I watched the Hank Gathers, err Paul Westhead 30 for 30 this weekend, I retroactively despised myself for rooting for UNLV to beat Loyola Marymount in the '90 Elite 8. I hope the 7 year old me just didn't understand the situation.

Last nights game was hard to watch. Except for the last 56 seconds. Butler doesn't even play basketball. Their offense consists of holding on to the ball for almost the whole shot clock and their defense is just a bunch of clutching and grabbing. Sadly it didn't pay off because I freaking hate Duke. I don't have any hatred towards Butler. They just aren't good enough to play real basketball. They remind me of the NJ Devils back in the day. Trap style hockey. Boring. Got the job done but slowed the game down to a crawl because they weren't good enough to compete any other way.If they go to 96 teams it will kill the greatness of this tournament.

Last nights game was hard to watch. Except for the last 56 seconds. Butler doesn't even play basketball. Their offense consists of holding on to the ball for almost the whole shot clock and their defense is just a bunch of clutching and grabbing. Sadly it didn't pay off because I freaking hate Duke. I don't have any hatred towards Butler. They just aren't good enough to play real basketball. They remind me of the NJ Devils back in the day. Trap style hockey. Boring. Got the job done but slowed the game down to a crawl because they weren't good enough to compete any other way.If they go to 96 teams it will kill the greatness of this tournament.
The point of basketball is to get more points than the other team, not how you score or keep the other team from scoring. Do you hate football teams that primarily run or pass the ball, or baseball teams that don't steal any bases or sacrifice? Is there only one style that can be considered the right way to play a "sport"?Agree with your last statement though...
Missouri.
Oh, right.
If they go to 96 teams it will kill the greatness of this tournament.
This was my initial feeling as well, but now that I hear the details, it might not be so bad. Basically, the tournament absorbs the NIT teams. 1-8 seeds get a first round bye, while the other 64 teams play down to 32. Then you've got 64 teams left. So the first round that we're used to gets played on Saturday and Sunday. The second round we're used to gets played on the following Tuesday and Wednesday. Then everything else is the same.Personally, I like the fact that I'll finally be able to sit at home all day and watch all the "first round" games.So I guess I'm actually in favor of the change.
Oh, right.This was my initial feeling as well, but now that I hear the details, it might not be so bad. Basically, the tournament absorbs the NIT teams. 1-8 seeds get a first round bye, while the other 64 teams play down to 32. Then you've got 64 teams left. So the first round that we're used to gets played on Saturday and Sunday. The second round we're used to gets played on the following Tuesday and Wednesday. Then everything else is the same.Personally, I like the fact that I'll finally be able to sit at home all day and watch all the "first round" games.So I guess I'm actually in favor of the change.
dude, it's april.APRIL.
I'm sorry, but what game were you watching? Butler basically ran a motion offense that consisted of a very well run 3 man weave at the top of the key. They would occasionally flash a big guy to the paint and look for opening to either get to the hole or drive and kick.Their defense was fantastic. It was a little aggressive, but so was Duke. I thought the refs did a great job calling the game, especially with all the jump balls. The only call that I thought was missed was when the point guard for Duke took the charge under the hoop. It was a pretty obvious block and the announcers even said so.