I Called In Sick Today

A job at a family business always gets discounted by interviewers because you probably didn't have to do anything to get the job, and probably wouldn't get fired if you screwed up. If the family business doesn't have your last name or anything in it I wouldn't mention it was a family business, you crazy jackass.I hate applying and interviewing for jobs...it's a dumb process that seems to me to be pretty unrelated to how well someone will do the job
hard to avoid that the supervisor is my mom. I know what you're saying, but honestly I think it's a positive that I have experience managing and doing all the rest.
well at least I have some sympathizers in here.and strat, that sucks but at least you got a reason as to why they didn't hire you. I think one of the things that sucks the most for me is that even though I'm applying to tons of jobs, I never know the reason why I'm not chosen (either for an interview or for the job). makes it pretty damn difficult to improve on your approach.
it was pretty spineless, they just sent a letter in the mail. at least call me so I'm not waiting for you to respond for the few days it takes to send that shit.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

After this semester I will start the job hunt again. Not looking forward to it at all. I screw up in every interview I do. I just hope I can still get that job at my friends brothers firm.I feel dirty. I was in that apartment again today. I need a shower. This will bug me all day long.

hard to avoid that the supervisor is my mom. I know what you're saying, but honestly I think it's a positive that I have experience managing and doing all the rest.
I don't really understand how this is such a big negative for a guy thats still in college. I mean tons of kids work for their parents; does that experience not count for anything? I know you probably won't get in trouble as easily but I mean come on, isn't it a little better than sitting at home eating snickers and watching spongebob? I swear I have no idea what goes through a person's mind when they are hiring somebody else. different fucking breed of people man.
it was pretty spineless, they just sent a letter in the mail. at least call me so I'm not waiting for you to respond for the few days it takes to send that shit.
did the letter actually say that was the reason they didn't hire you? if so then you are super lucky actually, cause I've never gotten anything like that. most of the time its the email saying "we have hired a more qualified individual, since you are basically terrible", and the one interview I've had recently they called, but none of them ever give a reason at all. that's all I really want, just a reason why I'm not chosen. THAT SO MUCH TO ASK MRS HIGHTY TIGHTY HUMAN RESOURCES WOMAN HUH?
I don't really understand how this is such a big negative for a guy thats still in college. I mean tons of kids work for their parents; does that experience not count for anything? I know you probably won't get in trouble as easily but I mean come on, isn't it a little better than sitting at home eating snickers and watching spongebob? I swear I have no idea what goes through a person's mind when they are hiring somebody else. different fucking breed of people man.did the letter actually say that was the reason they didn't hire you? if so then you are super lucky actually, cause I've never gotten anything like that. most of the time its the email saying "we have hired a more qualified individual, since you are basically terrible", and the one interview I've had recently they called, but none of them ever give a reason at all. that's all I really want, just a reason why I'm not chosen. THAT SO MUCH TO ASK MRS HIGHTY TIGHTY HUMAN RESOURCES WOMAN HUH?
my friend was basically pissed that they didn't take his word about me. I didn't screw up the interview at all, and plus, it's an entry level $10.50 an hour type job, babysitting products that sell themselves. he was saying how they complain about how they get nothing but retarded people in the section he had me apply for... and it's like, yeah, wonder why that happens...the letter just said they were going after more qualified applicants or some BS. the inside information came directly from my friend, who actually spoke with the HR people during the decision-making process.
my friend was basically pissed that they didn't take his word about me. I didn't screw up the interview at all, and plus, it's an entry level $10.50 an hour type job, babysitting products that sell themselves. he was saying how they complain about how they get nothing but retarded people in the section he had me apply for... and it's like, yeah, wonder why that happens...the letter just said they were going after more qualified applicants or some BS. the inside information came directly from my friend, who actually spoke with the HR people during the decision-making process.
ah ok, that makes sense. well I mean, them not hiring you doesn't make sense, but the letter part. and the whole hiring stupid people thing always gets me too. two of the places I've been trying to get jobs at are NOTORIOUS for hiring morons. I mean I know one guy who worked at one of them who I wasn't really sure could read, and he got hired no problem. another dude I know who worked at one of the other places was a IT guy there and he had to get my buddy to show him how to install AVG on his personal computer. really? REALLY?maybe I need to put some typos in my resume and fart into the phone the next time an HR person calls me. hell, they'd make me CEO.
you mean, like, if you have AIDS, they let you in under compassionate guidelines?
that's at UC-San Francisco silly
job turndowns
Strat - How did they know it was "your family"? Tell them you work at a family business, just don't tell them that it is your family... unless they ask.Sal - I agree. The whole interview process is nuts. My experience has always been "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Keep networking and something will come up.
ah ok, that makes sense. well I mean, them not hiring you doesn't make sense, but the letter part. and the whole hiring stupid people thing always gets me too. two of the places I've been trying to get jobs at are NOTORIOUS for hiring morons. I mean I know one guy who worked at one of them who I wasn't really sure could read, and he got hired no problem. another dude I know who worked at one of the other places was a IT guy there and he had to get my buddy to show him how to install AVG on his personal computer. really? REALLY?maybe I need to put some typos in my resume and fart into the phone the next time an HR person calls me. hell, they'd make me CEO.
my brother and I each take turns farting in each others office after a big lunch. You would fit in here. We have a CEO already though.

the most infuriating thing about the ordeal? I called and left a message saying I had more availability and to check up on how the process was going yesterday... and then got the letter in the mail. not sure how I could ever feel more awkward.

My experience has always been "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Keep networking and something will come up.
I'm pretty much already set for the real job job after college. I just want to get something part-time right now and this is strikeout #28467624 in the last few months.
One company sent me an email with no subject and nothing in the body of the email. All it had was the attached file "Rejection Letter.doc"
One company sent me an email with no subject and nothing in the body of the email. All it had was the attached file "Rejection Letter.doc"
That's pretty harsh. My worst is a company that just did not contact me after my second interview. I called them a week later and they said someone would call me back. I called again a week after that, and they said I didn't get the job and I should have been sent a letter. So harsh.
That's pretty harsh. My worst is a company that just did not contact me after my second interview. I called them a week later and they said someone would call me back. I called again a week after that, and they said I didn't get the job and I should have been sent a letter. So harsh.
damn, that is pretty shitty for having a second interview. did you pee on one of them or something?
damn, that is pretty shitty for having a second interview. did you pee on one of them or something?
No, I think the problem was that I said my ultimate aim was to work somewhere else, and this job was like a step on the way to that. The first interview thing was so dumb, they made all the interviewees do stupid tasks like building a tower out of paper.

From a quote I got today:This includes dealing with hazard waste. (ie: Mold, Feces, old food, sanitary napkins (possible use) unwashed clothes and dishes used and uncleaned for some length of time) this is just what was visible by eye in a quick walk through and a room we could not even get into.

Sorry about the dog beans.You guys having trouble finding jobs should talk to someone we know in the resort industry that has lots of girls with big boobs working there.
like i'd ever hire any of these slackers.
From a quote I got today:This includes dealing with hazard waste. (ie: Mold, Feces, old food, sanitary napkins (possible use) unwashed clothes and dishes used and uncleaned for some length of time) this is just what was visible by eye in a quick walk through and a room we could not even get into.
yeah hazard pay for bio cleanup is great, a buddy made a killing cleaning up after a dead body that was found in staff housing.umm, made a lot.
yeah hazard pay for bio cleanup is great, a buddy made a killing cleaning up after a dead body that was found in staff housing.umm, made a lot.
was it a murder, or just a normal death?
was it a murder, or just a normal death?
just a normal death, but the guy had been sitting on the couch for a week or something. when the next guy walked into the room, at first he thought it was just a pile of clothes on the couch.

Anyone listen to the new Metallica single? Aside from St. Anger, I've generally enjoyed most of their stuff to some extent. Some is better than others, and the band themselves are arrogant douches, but the last 3 minutes of the new song isn't half-bad. The first 4 minutes are a little long, and I'm not sure what the current market is for 7 minute songs, but I probably won't turn off the radio if I hear the new song. Might not even choose it on my winamp list again though.