I Called In Sick Today

My wife and I had our own little Seder last night. We did not do any of the actual prayer stuff but she made a brisket w apricot gravy, spinach pie with matzoh layers, charosets (the apple and nuts spread SBriand mentioned), and a hungarian chocolate tort. Very good stuff.I have to agree with VB that Passover is a very odd holiday but it is fun for kids (usually an adult hides a piece of matzoh somewhere in the house and after the meal first kid to find it gets 20 bucks). Also, it is the most important holiday in Judaism after Yom Kippur so it's not one you can just cut loose. Chanukah is the "joke" holiday that we pretend is important so Jewish kids don't feel left out at Xmas.I am the only person on the planet who likes gefilte fish. And even I can only take it once or twice a year.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

My wife and I had our own little Seder last night. We did not do any of the actual prayer stuff but she made a brisket w apricot gravy, spinach pie with matzoh layers, charosets (the apple and nuts spread SBriand mentioned), and a hungarian chocolate tort. Very good stuff.I have to agree with VB that Passover is a very odd holiday but it is fun for kids (usually an adult hides a piece of matzoh somewhere in the house and after the meal first kid to find it gets 20 bucks). Also, it is the most important holiday in Judaism after Yom Kippur so it's not one you can just cut loose. Chanukah is the "joke" holiday that we pretend is important so Jewish kids don't feel left out at Xmas.I am the only person on the planet who likes gefilte fish. And even I can only take it once or twice a year.
Yeah I got to go with the kids and hunt for the matzo. I didn't find it. I could have used the $20. I liked it. They didn't get too crazy with it, there was a lot of laughing. We were all reading from this book and it was pretty poorly written so we got some good laughs out of it. My bosses wife explained that this was one of the more "whinier" jewish holidays. I think we are going to hang with them for sukkot(?) which they say is probably the funnest holiday.I just found it much more interesting than say Easter. At least a lot of the stuff that was said and done made sense to what the holiday was about. I still don't get why Bunnys and Cadbury Eggs has to do with the resurrection of christ.Cue Brv.
My other beef with it is that its just about time to get over the whole slavery thing. This particular historical event needs to be commemorated for eternity, or just 10 thousand years? It's not like we are still commemorating when Thok finally got out after being trapped in that cave for a month.
I like that judaism celebrates events like passover and that other one with the oil and whatever else...it keeps the faith rooted in history as opposed to just the whole "this is how you better live your life or else" aspect of religion.
I know people probably think I'm anti-religion given what I've expressed elsewhere, but I am really in favor of good, meaningful rituals and celebrations. I just don't think this is a good one, especially with what's available this time of year to celebrate.
You want religions to celebrate the coming of good weather and exciting basketball tournaments?
I still don't get why Bunnys and Cadbury Eggs has to do with the resurrection of christ.
All three are metaphors for rebirth. Bunnies are symbols of fertility because they screw like rabbits, and eggs are new life itself. That's what spring should be about!
You want religions to celebrate the coming of good weather and exciting basketball tournaments?
NOW YOU'RE TALKIN!
Yeah I got to go with the kids and hunt for the matzo. I didn't find it. I could have used the $20. I liked it. They didn't get too crazy with it, there was a lot of laughing. We were all reading from this book and it was pretty poorly written so we got some good laughs out of it. My bosses wife explained that this was one of the more "whinier" jewish holidays. I think we are going to hang with them for sukkot(?) which they say is probably the funnest holiday.I just found it much more interesting than say Easter. At least a lot of the stuff that was said and done made sense to what the holiday was about. I still don't get why Bunnys and Cadbury Eggs has to do with the resurrection of christ.Cue Brv.
What the fuck? You want Matzo over Eggs? Jesus.
All three are metaphors for rebirth. Bunnies are symbols of fertility because they screw like rabbits, and eggs are new life itself. That's what spring should be about!NOW YOU'RE TALKIN!
NO, NOW YOU'RE TALKIN!
Penn.My brother-in-law went to KU, as an aside.That story about UCF is hilarious.
I think there are 3-4 KU people on FCP. obv poopy, who now resides in CA. daveyg in the hockey forum had a few semesters there, and some douchebags in genpo were supposedly students as well. I would say 'small world' but it's not really that improbable considering KU's size.
I think there are 3-4 KU people on FCP. obv poopy, who now resides in CA. daveyg in the hockey forum had a few semesters there, and some douchebags in genpo were supposedly students as well. I would say 'small world' but it's not really that improbable considering KU's size.
Yeah, her whole family was bummed about Northern Iowa. My bro-in-law is a morning sports radio host in KC so he took it really hard.
I just found it much more interesting than say Easter. At least a lot of the stuff that was said and done made sense to what the holiday was about. I still don't get why Bunnys and Cadbury Eggs has to do with the resurrection of christ.
WHO WERE THE AD WIZARDS THAT CAME UP WITH THAT ONE!?
I like that judaism celebrates events like passover and that other one with the oil and whatever else...it keeps the faith rooted in history as opposed to just the whole "this is how you better live your life or else" aspect of religion.
I agree with this.
Yeah, her whole family was bummed about Northern Iowa. My bro-in-law is a morning sports radio host in KC so he took it really hard.
haha. IOWA!
So...how was Phoenix? Any good stories involving homosocial behavior?
It was amazing...a lot of hiking, whiffleball, sitting by the pool (populated by ASU girls), and general hanging out. There wasn't too much homosocial behavior, unless you count three guys sleeping on a futon together to be in that category, but it did get pretty weird. My buddy bought a scion xb when he moved out there, which has been a constant source of amusement for all of us, and this is the first time we've seen it. The running joke has been that he rides around in that thing blasting ridiculous techno music, so we made a few mix cds of exactly that, which I guess isn't too weird, but it went to a whole new level when, after a night of drinking, we all piled in the scion (in the garage), smoked some non-bitter herbs, and then did a solid half hour of intense car-dancing, interrupted only by uncontrollable laughter. Yeah, we're almost 30.We also did more normal things like going to the ASU bars and getting shot down by hot girls that probably didn't even fit the half plus seven rule.

Things I googled after reading your post:"half plus seven""Scion""where is ASU located" followed by "how far is Tempe from Phoenix"But it sounded like a good time.

I just found out that the Ted's "band" from Scrubs is an actual band called "The Blanks." They are playing in Miami this Saturday but I will be out of town (in Kansas City in fact). I am pretty disappointed.....tickets were only 15 bucks.

Reposted from religon forum for awesomness. There are a bunch of good letters on the links to the left aside from the one shown.http://www.27bslash6.com/easter.html
It's the guy who did that series of emails with the spider picture, you know, this one:spiderdrawing.gifHis stuff has been posted a bunch before but usually the spider one ("Overdue Account") is what gets mentioned. The easter one is good but I can't be bothered to read the really long emails he writes so I just skimmed and read the chaplain's responses.
It's the guy who did that series of emails with the spider picture, you know, this one:spiderdrawing.gifHis stuff has been posted a bunch before but usually the spider one ("Overdue Account") is what gets mentioned. The easter one is good but I can't be bothered to read the really long emails he writes so I just skimmed and read the chaplain's responses.
I thought it might be him but only read a few. It does inspire me to write some creative emails to the people that email me over cars though.