Should A Christian Date A Non-christian?

All my life, I thought I would never date a non-Christian. Not that I have a problem with them, I just didn't want them to bring me and my walk down. I've read the verse in Ephesians, I think, where it says "Do not be un equally yoked." and have always thought that was in reference to relationships of any kind. But, here lately, I have been dating a non-Christian. The girl completely amazes me. She's a partier, drinker, and cusses every now and then. Not that I have a serious problem with any of those traits, I'm just not any of them. She believes in the God of the Bible, but likes the life she's living in too much to really follow Him. I'm not a believer in "missionary dating" so that's not why I'm with her, everytime I think about breaking it off, she just says something that blows my mind, or does something that looks so beautiful. She's knows that I'm a Christian of strong faith, and actually says that is one of the reasons she's attracted to me, so those differences we have really don't bother her that much at all. I'm just not sure what, as a Christian, is the right play here. So I'd appreciate any advice from some of you believers out there. Thanks.P.S. To all the non-believers, your advice is welcome too, but just save your breath if it's something like "Just become an atheist and problem solved." Thanks.

The bible says to guard your heart above all. As Christians we have to sacrifice much more than many others, and that includes a limited choice of those we should become involved with. The bible says not to marry a nonbeliever (do not be yoked with unbelievers or non Christian) but if the relationship exist prior to one being reborn, this may sanctify the relationship, and may lead to both persons in the relationship to Christ. Bad company corrupts good character, and when you are unsure, ask yourself...can a non Christian partner help you in your spiritual walk?

Hey dude, i dont think it is a huge problem to date an unbeliever as long as the person you are dating isnt going to bring your walk with God to bad places. It really all depends on what your looking for in a woman as well. Personally i am looking to date a Christian because it is something that we would share together and is a thing we can build our relationship off of. Its great that your GF believes in God . And her liking you being a Christian is great to. Maybe one day she will become a christian, but who knows, and that would take your relationship to a whole new level. You could be the person who does lead her to Christ, but also, as i am sure you know that pestering about it might lead her away from you and from the church since you said you dont believe in missionary dating. But if you love this girl i assume you would want her to become a christian. I know some people in my church who have husbands who are unbelievers, but that hasnt stopped them from being a christian or from sharing a life together. I dont see a big problem with dating a non christian. Maybe some conservative christians might, but you never know, because one day she may decide to come to church with you and that could be a life changing event for her. Remember what the very first thing Paul describes love as in 1 Corinthians 13. Love is Patient. If you love this girl and live a christian life by example, she will see the glory of God and the Joy that you get from your salvation. I hope this was kinda helpful.

All my life, I thought I would never date a non-Christian. Not that I have a problem with them, I just didn't want them to bring me and my walk down. I've read the verse in Ephesians, I think, where it says "Do not be un equally yoked." and have always thought that was in reference to relationships of any kind. But, here lately, I have been dating a non-Christian. The girl completely amazes me. She's a partier, drinker, and cusses every now and then. Not that I have a serious problem with any of those traits, I'm just not any of them. She believes in the God of the Bible, but likes the life she's living in too much to really follow Him. I'm not a believer in "missionary dating" so that's not why I'm with her, everytime I think about breaking it off, she just says something that blows my mind, or does something that looks so beautiful. She's knows that I'm a Christian of strong faith, and actually says that is one of the reasons she's attracted to me, so those differences we have really don't bother her that much at all. I'm just not sure what, as a Christian, is the right play here. So I'd appreciate any advice from some of you believers out there. Thanks.P.S. To all the non-believers, your advice is welcome too, but just save your breath if it's something like "Just become an atheist and problem solved." Thanks.
she sounds like a temptress. you should try to avoid temptation in life.i'm sorry, but that quote is horrible: "Do not be un equally yoked." You should not have relationships with those who are not equals?Really, what does: "I just didn't want them to bring me and my walk down" mean?And yes I am an "unbeliever" so feel free to ignore me if that is how you go about things.

Be careful dude. Trust me, I've been there done that, and it tore me up inside.Especially the aftermath, because once you start setting aside your beliefs for this girl...what do you have left after that?

You already know the answer... it's just not what you want to hear. 60% of marriages end in divorce, if you marry someone with a different belief system, it's 80%. DON'T DO IT!!! RUN!!!!

From an athiest...If her not being Christian is a problem, or if you see that it will cause problems later, then you probably should think of cutting it off now. It's unrealistic to expect that she's going to change much for you and vice-versa, so why make it harder on the both of you? Get out now and perhaps you'll still have a good friend. Stick together and it's bound to turn ugly. Good luck with whatever you decide.

All my life, I thought I would never date a non-Christian. Not that I have a problem with them, I just didn't want them to bring me and my walk down. I've read the verse in Ephesians, I think, where it says "Do not be un equally yoked." and have always thought that was in reference to relationships of any kind. But, here lately, I have been dating a non-Christian. The girl completely amazes me. She's a partier, drinker, and cusses every now and then. Not that I have a serious problem with any of those traits, I'm just not any of them. She believes in the God of the Bible, but likes the life she's living in too much to really follow Him. I'm not a believer in "missionary dating" so that's not why I'm with her, everytime I think about breaking it off, she just says something that blows my mind, or does something that looks so beautiful. She's knows that I'm a Christian of strong faith, and actually says that is one of the reasons she's attracted to me, so those differences we have really don't bother her that much at all. I'm just not sure what, as a Christian, is the right play here. So I'd appreciate any advice from some of you believers out there. Thanks.
A few years ago, I met a great girl and we ended up dating. She told me she was a Christian, but I knew she probably wasn't very strong in her faith. Well, a month into the relationship, it comes out that she's actually atheist. There was extreme stress in the relationship from that point on. The differences in belief led to a fundamental conflict in things like forgiveness...which is a very important concept in relationships. I'm not saying that you can't be friends with the girl...or even love her. Being in a dating relationship is a bad idea.As for Christians married to non-believers, you shouldn't go into a marriage like that. If one of the partners is converted in the middle of marriage though, they shouldn't get divorced.

Seriously though, I went out with a super-Christian girl in High School for a couple weeks, and she was really awesome and we got along great. She'd never dated a non-Christian, and after a couple weeks she said she didn't think she could do it. It wasn't a huge deal or anything, and we stayed friends, but it really made me angry. Why didn't she want to be with me, just because she's a Christian? So what? Yeah stick with your own kind right? Whites with whites and blacks with blacks.....Christians with Christians....it's bullshit. Relationships and marriage are about this life, not the next one. It's really up to you, yourself. You'll never find a partner who will accept the fact that you don't accept them.

Seriously though, I went out with a super-Christian girl in High School for a couple weeks, and she was really awesome and we got along great. She'd never dated a non-Christian, and after a couple weeks she said she didn't think she could do it. It wasn't a huge deal or anything, and we stayed friends, but it really made me angry. Why didn't she want to be with me, just because she's a Christian? So what? Yeah stick with your own kind right? Whites with whites and blacks with blacks.....Christians with Christians....it's bullshit. Relationships and marriage are about this life, not the next one. It's really up to you, yourself. You'll never find a partner who will accept the fact that you don't accept them.
wow this is quite an interesting view. Comparing christians dating christians to whites dating whites or blacks dating blacks is like comparing apples to oranges.When the bible says to not date nonbelievers does it give a race? Check 2 Corinthians 6 to see what it says. The fact is actually a common sense type thing. If you were a recovering alcoholic would you want to date somebody who drank everyday? Of course not. If you had just quit smoking do you want to date a chain smoker? again of course not. So what the Bible says is that you should date people who are going to help your faith grow, not hinder it. I am sorry the girl broke up with you but if you cared about her then you should be glad she stuck to her beliefs. You dont fit those beliefs and so she made the right choice.
wow this is quite an interesting view. Comparing christians dating christians to whites dating whites or blacks dating blacks is like comparing apples to oranges.When the bible says to not date nonbelievers does it give a race? Check 2 Corinthians 6 to see what it says. The fact is actually a common sense type thing. If you were a recovering alcoholic would you want to date somebody who drank everyday? Of course not. If you had just quit smoking do you want to date a chain smoker? again of course not. So what the Bible says is that you should date people who are going to help your faith grow, not hinder it. I am sorry the girl broke up with you but if you cared about her then you should be glad she stuck to her beliefs. You dont fit those beliefs and so she made the right choice.
Fair enough, but I think that if a person shares the same moral values as you do, then it doesn't matter whether they have accepted Jesus or not. The girl I was talking about went off to Christian college and married a Christian. That's fine. I just don't like that she stopped making out with me because I'm not Christian. What does the Bible say about making out? just kidding
Fair enough, but I think that if a person shares the same moral values as you do, then it doesn't matter whether they have accepted Jesus or not. The girl I was talking about went off to Christian college and married a Christian. That's fine. I just don't like that she stopped making out with me because I'm not Christian. What does the Bible say about making out? just kidding
haha..except as you know..to a christian...good morals are a great start but as you know...if both a christian and nonchristian have good morals and there is a God, then while the good morals were great, both arent going to the same placeas for the making out...well ive never heard of righteous making out so im gonna chalk that one up to lust and we all know what lust means
Relationships are about this life, not the next one. Tim and I don't agree on much. This happens to be one of the times we do.
Relationships are about this life, not the next one. Tim and I don't agree on much. This happens to be one of the times we do.
Whoever said that there are two different lives? The "afterlife" is really just a continuation of this one. We all live a never-ending life basically, so I don't agree with the point that relationships are for "this life not the next one" because to me there is no next one.
Whoever said that there are two different lives? The "afterlife" is really just a continuation of this one. We all live a never-ending life basically, so I don't agree with the point that relationships are for "this life not the next one" because to me there is no next one.
I don't believe in heaven either. That's why I think you should do what you can to be happy now.
I don't believe in heaven either. That's why I think you should do what you can to be happy now.
either you were being a smart-aleck or you didn't get what I said. Heaven exists.
as for the making out...well ive never heard of righteous making out so im gonna chalk that one up to lust and we all know what lust means
This is crap. Lust for lips? For a personal connection? If you're really into them, if you really care about them, if you love them, it's chill. To think you can go into a healthy marriage without having touched your partner is -EV.
This is crap. Lust for lips? For a personal connection? If you're really into them, if you really care about them, if you love them, it's chill. To think you can go into a healthy marriage without having touched your partner is -EV.
lets be honest...whenever you started kissing a girl..was that all that was on ur mind?...lust is a sin...is it freakin hard to deal with yeah it is...but that doestn mean you shouldnt try. And its a bad thing to wait till marriage why? B/c you dont want to? Im not gonna sit here and act like ive never done some thigns before i became a christian and i will say that it ruined several relationships one of which that was heading towards marriage....all that can wait...
lets be honest...whenever you started kissing a girl..was that all that was on ur mind?...lust is a sin...is it freakin hard to deal with yeah it is...but that doestn mean you shouldnt try. And its a bad thing to wait till marriage why? B/c you dont want to? Im not gonna sit here and act like ive never done some thigns before i became a christian and i will say that it ruined several relationships one of which that was heading towards marriage....all that can wait...
Making out can wait? If you have "urges" that are tied to you being human/being an animal, then you have them, period. Original sin. If you make out with someone with the point of getting them in bed, or are imagining you're making out with something else besides their mouth, OK. But, if you're really just kissing them, I think that's OK. "Lust" is a mental thing...and if you can control your thoughts than you can enjoy life a lot more.Smooching pwns.