gsn high stakes poker

suprised nobody mentioned the great Sammy quoute...As he was pondering a call he asks Sheiky,"If I bust you will you buy back in?"Sheiky "Yes"Farha (not sure exatly on the quote ) "So I lose either way?"
Excellent quote! It had me laughing. I love the fact that Shawn is the whipping boy and he brings it all on himself.
LoL...i missed that, I guess I'm gonna have to hit up the torrents to catch some of this stuff. Sheik is the one person that I genuinely hate in poker. Maybe he's a ok guy away from that table but he just is an asshole at it. Other's like Matusow, Hellmuth, and Tony G. can be annoying but I find a way to laugh at them from time to time.
He is from Pittsburgh. You shouldnt be hatin' on him.
Really?...geez...well then he is the coolest person in the history of the world.
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished watching the show and just have the following to add, "I PLAY GOOOT!"  I felt like I played awesome throughout that show.  Poker skill truly shows in the way losing hands are played and I had a lot of tough decisions but thought I did well with them.
I agree, some of your folds were amazing. I enjoy watching the high stakes guys play, you defenitely learn alot. Farha caught some nice cards or you might have done much better.
Ummm... AA vs. KK = 4 to 1 preflop. Barry was correct to call and will win with that hand over time. He gave up 150K this time but will win 3-4x that over time. Unless Farha was 100% sure that Barry had AA his call was correct' date=' too. I know I would not be able to get away from that hand.[/quote']wha?...4 to 1?....long run?....wha dat mean? thank you mr. einstein, i understand odds, i understand long run, and im quite sure i know the odds of 2 preflop hands better than you.my point was that in NL you have tremendously increased volitility, and that i'd rather be happy at the end of a day that i grinded a steady profit than i would having done a full day of work only to see it all go in one hand. let me ask you this, if barry was the one with the KK and sammy had the AA, do you think all the money would not have ended up in the middle of the table? why do i want my whole stack in the middle preflop due to a cold deck?
So you have made it clear that your prefered game is LHE. Yes, I do think Barry would of called with KK, because Sammy had been playing all type of hands.You have made it clear that you don't..you would of folded and Barry would have won that pot.

I wondered the same thing about y barry wouldnt run it twice after that flop. Then i noticed that they didnt turn over the cards till after the river so i dont think barry knew he flopped trip kings. And as to the exchange between sammy and the shiek at the end , the sheik made some comment about sammys luck and sammy said to him i hope ur not coming back tomorrow. And it wasnt said with a grin.

Ummm... AA vs. KK = 4 to 1 preflop. Barry was correct to call and will win with that hand over time. He gave up 150K this time but will win 3-4x that over time. Unless Farha was 100% sure that Barry had AA his call was correct' date=' too. I know I would not be able to get away from that hand.[/quote']wha?...4 to 1?....long run?....wha dat mean? thank you mr. einstein, i understand odds, i understand long run, and im quite sure i know the odds of 2 preflop hands better than you.my point was that in NL you have tremendously increased volitility, and that i'd rather be happy at the end of a day that i grinded a steady profit than i would having done a full day of work only to see it all go in one hand. let me ask you this, if barry was the one with the KK and sammy had the AA, do you think all the money would not have ended up in the middle of the table? why do i want my whole stack in the middle preflop due to a cold deck?
So you have made it clear that your prefered game is LHE. Yes, I do think Barry would of called with KK, because Sammy had been playing all type of hands.You have made it clear that you don't..you would of folded and Barry would have won that pot.
wrong.my point was precisely that all my money probaby would have ended up in the middle and that is what i dont like - that my whole stack would have ended up in the middle preflop.
Now, how Barry wouldn't have taken Sammy up on his offer to run it twice after Sammy felt bad about sucking out on him is beyond me. That is definitely -EV. At that point Barry was a 9-1 dog and to not take Sammy up on his offer to run it twice, that's just dumb, but it does show a lot of integrity if Barry has a rule about never running it more than once. He definitely gave away a lot of equity there.
If I remember it correctly, Sammy asked Barry to run it twice before the river, and Barry declined. When Sammy asked again after the flop, Barry declined again. My read was that it was very gracious of Sammy to offer it (as he had flopped the set) and also gracious of Barry to decline it (as he had already declined it while he had a big advantage, and he was now at a big disadvantage). Seemed like a couple of class moves from both of them, if it happened as I remember.
If I remember it correctly, Sammy asked Barry to run it twice before the river, and Barry declined. When Sammy asked again after the flop, Barry declined again. My read was that it was very gracious of Sammy to offer it (as he had flopped the set) and also gracious of Barry to decline it (as he had already declined it while he had a big advantage, and he was now at a big disadvantage). Seemed like a couple of class moves from both of them, if it happened as I remember.
Yeah, I thought it was cool that Sammy offerred to run it twice. You could tell from his voice that he really knew how unlucky Barry was.
I just finished watching the show and just have the following to add, "I PLAY GOOOT!" I felt like I played awesome throughout that show. Poker skill truly shows in the way losing hands are played and I had a lot of tough decisions but thought I did well with them.
It did look like you played fantastic. The only hand where it looked like you made a mistake was the big hand against Eli Elezra. I really don't know quite what you were thinking there.To recap the hand Eli limped from the cutoff, Sammy raisy-daisy'ed it to 2,600, and Daniel called from the big blind with A:diamond: T:heart: as did Eli.Flop: 6 :club: T :D 8 :) $8,800 potDaniel bets out 5kEli raises to 15kSammy foldsDaniel sticks the rest of it in, about 88k totalWhat's interesting is that Daniel commented that he knew that if he moved in Eli was going to call. If you knew that why would you move in since the only hands that he can call with have AT beat (2pair, set, straight, maybe maybe an overpair) or has a big draw like Q :D J :D or A :) 7:spade: that make it even money at best. I don't think there's any way Eli calls with KT or QT there.I understand the play if you thought Eli could have that kind of hand. But Eli did as Daniel said and called, with bottom two pair. Is there something I'm missing here because honestly Daniel usually makes better decisions than that.
I just finished watching the show and just have the following to add, "I PLAY GOOOT!" I felt like I played awesome throughout that show. Poker skill truly shows in the way losing hands are played and I had a lot of tough decisions but thought I did well with them.
It did look like you played fantastic. The only hand where it looked like you made a mistake was the big hand against Eli Elezra. I really don't know quite what you were thinking there.To recap the hand Eli limped from the cutoff, Sammy raisy-daisy'ed it to 2,600, and Daniel called from the big blind with A:diamond: T:heart: as did Eli.Flop: 6 :club: T :D 8 :) $8,800 potDaniel bets out 5kEli raises to 15kSammy foldsDaniel sticks the rest of it in, about 88k totalWhat's interesting is that Daniel commented that he knew that if he moved in Eli was going to call. If you knew that why would you move in since the only hands that he can call with have AT beat (2pair, set, straight, maybe maybe an overpair) or has a big draw like Q :D J :D or A :) 7:spade: that make it even money at best. I don't think there's any way Eli calls with KT or QT there.I understand the play if you thought Eli could have that kind of hand. But Eli did as Daniel said and called, with bottom two pair. Is there something I'm missing here because honestly Daniel usually makes better decisions than that.
Actually it wasn't a mistake at all. The pot was laying me a price, and there were a ton of hands you didn't mention that I could beat.
I just finished watching the show and just have the following to add, "I PLAY GOOOT!"  I felt like I played awesome throughout that show.  Poker skill truly shows in the way losing hands are played and I had a lot of tough decisions but thought I did well with them.
Actually it wasn't a mistake at all. The pot was laying me a price, and there were a ton of hands you didn't mention that I could beat.
Then you jumped out of your seat in jubilation when they ran the cards again and you hit the Ace on the turn, just to be CRUSHED on the river with a full house. OUCH!! :evil:
Well, as the cards lie it was a mistake but I wonder what kind of hand range you put Eli on that made moving in there a good decision. And by moving in there would Eli call with a hand that you're way ahead of like KT, 99 or 87?I'm really curious about you thought process there because in my experience moving in with top pair/top kicker when stacks are that deep is usually not profitable against good opponents.

I believe Barry was asked by Farha if he wanted to run it twice after the flop came out. Even though Farha didn't show his hand he told Barry he had pocket Ks. When they run it twice, they just run the turn and the river so it would have been idiotic for Barry to do that with his pair up against a set. Farha was just needling Barry...whoa, and what a needle it was. Sammy is brutal-flops a set against aces with a monster pot and asks the guy he just cracked if he wants to run it twice. Hilarious...well, to everyone except Barry.

thank you mr. einstein' date=' i understand odds, i understand long run, and im quite sure i know the odds of 2 preflop hands better than you.my point was that in NL you have tremendously increased volitility, and that i'd rather be happy at the end of a day that i grinded a steady profit than i would having done a full day of work only to see it all go in one hand. let me ask you this, if barry was the one with the KK and sammy had the AA, do you think all the money would not have ended up in the middle of the table? why do i want my whole stack in the middle preflop due to a cold deck?[/quote']You obviously don't understand NL poker. Typically good players have far LESS volatility in NL poker. Sure there will be hands where you will lose your stack (just part of the game and it should be expected) but there should be many more where you double up or win big pots. Typically a very good player will have a much higher session win rate in NL vs Limit. Very much easier to exploit poor players in NL and make poor players make BIG mistakes. Since Barry G. is a main topic of this thread...read his book...he quotes he is a 57% session winner playing limit and a +75% winner playing NL.
wrong.my point was precisely that all my money probaby would have ended up in the middle and that is what i dont like - that my whole stack would have ended up in the middle preflop.
Yes...sometimes all of your money ends up in the middle in NL...but hopefully it is not ALL your money...just reload and go get it back...the poor NL players will give it all back and then some in short order if you are playing the game well.

Wow, that was a ****ing amazing episode again. High Stakes Poker gets better every time, it's extremely interesting to watch those great players in a cash game, with much, much less editing than in the tournaments (the first 5 episodes, 45 minutes each covered only 8 hours of play). Their table-behaviour is interesting too.And again, many thanks for recording the show and making the torrent, Etaipo!

after Sammy hit his K on the river ,,didn't he ask Barry if he wants to run it 2 times.!why would Barry not agree to it. Or he has too much money and was worth the risk ?
Well, Barry declined to run it twice before the flop when he was the favourite, so on the flop when he was the underdog I guess he thought he doesn't need any gifts from Farha, his offer to run it twice was kinda arrogant imo.

Got to give this show great props. I have problems with some of it - the announcing is a less funny and a little too biting I think - better to highlight the clever comments that the players make at the table. There's quotables galore.But, otherwise where else can you watch high stakes poker like this except being at the table? The tourney scene is great, but this is closer to "real" poker - or at the least it's cash game poker that has not been accessible to the public.Anyway, Daniel's highlighted plays were perfect - and his play style is perfect for TV. Visually, tossing out the $50K bundles is something no one has seen before. Cool to see that Daniel never lies on camera - something to know if he shows up at your feature table! But for most of us, this show is good stuff to watch while your home game is going on.But these last episodes have become the Sammy Farha show.I hope others keep posting questions... I'll approach a few players and try to get some answers.

El,There's one thing that puzzles me. On one hand Barry raised and Jen called and then Sammy pointed to Jen and said something like "that scares me".Kaplan said that Jen was probably mad at Sammy because "he should not tell the table that he thinks Jen has a big hand."Is this really a big deal? These are skilled players and are more than capable of interpreting bets and calls for themselves. Is this nothing more than another playful comment from Sammy? Or would Jen really take offense at something like this?

El,There's one thing that puzzles me. On one hand Barry raised and Jen called and then Sammy pointed to Jen and said something like "that scares me".Kaplan said that Jen was probably mad at Sammy because "he should not tell the table that he thinks Jen has a big hand."Is this really a big deal? These are skilled players and are more than capable of interpreting bets and calls for themselves. Is this nothing more than another playful comment from Sammy? Or would Jen really take offense at something like this?
ya i was wondering that too. Kaplan said that Harman was mad about that but I don't know if she really was or not. They all have played with each other plenty off camera I'm sure so I think have an idea for whats ok and whats too much. As long as your not Shieky.