how big is your bankroll

my bankroll is a function of how much I can lose that week. i've played anywhere from 2/4 to 2000 nl. i lost 5k playing blackjack on party poker the first day they updated their software, so now i don't play on that site anymore. I'm trying to get rid of my other gambling problems and just focus on poker now. So, I'm at pacific now playing with a 600 dollar bankroll and just playing 100 nl and 30 to 50 dollar sit and go's. I can afford to have a larger bankroll but I'm trying to discipline myself to play well with emotional control.
Im not being rude, I just want to offer some advice. STOP PLAYING POKER. It is apparent that you have a gambling addiction, and playing poker will just feed the addiction further. It is like like an alcoholic saying "Im only going to drink beer."Also, if you are playing 100nl and $50 sngs with a $600 bankroll, you are bound to go broke, even if you are a great player. Seriously man, stop playing.
I appreciate the advice but I know that I can beat the addiction. Even smokers can quit and alcoholics become reformed and my gambling addiction isn't that severe. The losses I've sustained so far in gambling is still affordable, just a chink in the armor. I haven't gone so bad that it's going to be that hard to reform myself. If i lose the 600, i can still afford to buy in again. Besides I love poker, I can never quit. Besides playing online sharpens my skills when I play with buddies. I won 1k on the weekend playing 5-5 nl with the boys.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my bankroll is a function of how much I can lose that week. i've played anywhere from 2/4 to 2000 nl. i lost 5k playing blackjack on party poker the first day they updated their software, so now i don't play on that site anymore. I'm trying to get rid of my other gambling problems and just focus on poker now. So, I'm at pacific now playing with a 600 dollar bankroll and just playing 100 nl and 30 to 50 dollar sit and go's. I can afford to have a larger bankroll but I'm trying to discipline myself to play well with emotional control.
Im not being rude, I just want to offer some advice. STOP PLAYING POKER. It is apparent that you have a gambling addiction, and playing poker will just feed the addiction further. It is like like an alcoholic saying "Im only going to drink beer."Also, if you are playing 100nl and $50 sngs with a $600 bankroll, you are bound to go broke, even if you are a great player. Seriously man, stop playing.
I appreciate the advice but I know that I can beat the addiction. Even smokers can quit and alcoholics become reformed and my gambling addiction isn't that severe. The losses I've sustained so far in gambling is still affordable, just a chink in the armor. I haven't gone so bad that it's going to be that hard to reform myself. If i lose the 600, i can still afford to buy in again. Besides I love poker, I can never quit. Besides playing online sharpens my skills when I play with buddies. I won 1k on the weekend playing 5-5 nl with the boys.
Take his advice, sir. Many smokers and alcoholics can beat their addictions, but they do so by stopping. You seem to think you can beat your addiction while continuing to play. This is illogical and impossible. Further, I doubt people who quit do so with the attitude that "they love XXXX and can never quit."I highly recommend talking to a professional. Maybe you can still play, but you should seek some advice. I wish you the best of luck, but with your current bankroll, it is almost a mathematical certainty that even a world-class player would go broke playing the games you are currently playing.cheers,daniel
I put $500 in to start back in April with the understanding when it was gone I wouldnt add more til the first of the year. Ive worked it up to about $800 playing mostly sin n gos with a lil $25 buy max no limit.
Not to derail the subject, but can we get a larger version of that avatar?
hear hear
I appreciate the advice but I know that I can beat the addiction. Even smokers can quit and alcoholics become reformed and my gambling addiction isn't that severe.
Not if they keep smoking and drinking they can't.
I haven't gone so bad that it's going to be that hard to reform myself. If i lose the 600, i can still afford to buy in again. Besides I love poker, I can never quit.
That doesn't sound like a complete addiction at all.You can "beat the addiction" but you can also "never quit"...

Had 70 dollars at the start of the semester and ran it up to 2k before a few setbacks. I've had to pay about 500 in expenses, and I'm currently on a horrendous downstreak that has put me down to 1k. I lay 1/2 limit hold em and 10-20 dollar NL tournys.

$2000I mainly play $25 and $50 buy in No Limit Holdem and have been taking shots at .50/$1 and $1/$2 NL recently.I have also been mixing in 1-2 & 2-4 Limit Holdem as well as $1-2 Limit Omaha HL.

mines around 200. i start with 50$, run it up to about 200 then cash out 150 playing 25/50c. its my spending money/bills money here at school.

$200,000 all from idiots who think they can play golf, especially when they are getting no shots. Thats why Im looking to change careers and give it all away.
Whats your handicap Ozium, I was going to school to be a golf professional, but hated working 60-70 hours weeks, i'm a 2. I'm sure by the way you talk you must be in the plus.
$200,000 all from idiots who think they can play golf, especially when they are getting no shots. Thats why Im looking to change careers and give it all away.
Whats your handicap Ozium, I was going to school to be a golf professional, but hated working 60-70 hours weeks, i'm a 2. I'm sure by the way you talk you must be in the plus.
+5, and unless you are willing to work 60 hrs a week for dirt pay....The PGA of America is not for you. I was a Head Professional for a long time which is the only way to make decent money. I supplemented my income with high stakes matches for years. You might get lucky and land a job at a Private Club for good money, but those jobs are difficult to come by.
+5, and unless you are willing to work 60 hrs a week for dirt pay....The PGA of America is not for you. I was a Head Professional for a long time which is the only way to make decent money. I supplemented my income with high stakes matches for years. You might get lucky and land a job at a Private Club for good money, but those jobs are difficult to come by.
Yah, thats pretty much what my head professional told me when i was on intern, he was making around $150K/year, but he still felt for the amount of work he put in it wasn't enough. Its funny there are a lot of idiots out there who think they're good and have no idea. I consider myself no beter then average at a 2 handicap. There is so much talent out there now, that you have to be at least a +1 just to be taken seriously.
Yah, thats pretty much what my head professional told me when i was on intern, he was making around $150K/year, but he still felt for the amount of work he put in it wasn't enough. Its funny there are a lot of idiots out there who think they're good and have no idea. I consider myself no beter then average at a 2 handicap. There is so much talent out there now, that you have to be at least a +1 just to be taken seriously.
The players are 10x better now than when I was a Junior Golfer - College. They hit it 30 yards farther now and with the video technology, there swings become easier to fix. At one time I was Top 10 in the Country as a Junior Golfer, these kids now are much better than I was. But if I needed a 3 footer for $5000...its in the heart of the cup, I had no fear.
The players are 10x better now than when I was a Junior Golfer - College. They hit it 30 yards farther now and with the video technology, there swings become easier to fix. At one time I was Top 10 in the Country as a Junior Golfer, these kids now are much better than I was. But if I needed a 3 footer for $5000...its in the heart of the cup, I had no fear.
this was one reason, why i stopped playing seriously after high school, I was one of the top 5 golfers in state senior year, several scouts from schools were coming to watch me at the state tourney, but i forgot to do one thing, qualify for the state tourney, i shot a 77 and missed the cut by one, this wasnt the first time i did something like this. I then realized, i was a choke artist and could never really play well under pressure. Now, i just play because i simply love the game, only about 2 ro 3 times a week.