could the lottery be +ev???

i have done a very small amount of research on lottery odds and winnings and have determined that it mathmatically could have +ev to play MEGA millionsfrom what i understand the overall odds of you winning the MEGA millions lottery jackpot these days is 41.4 million-1 but the payout as it stands is 53 million-1 (ussually is more)now mathematically is it +ev to play the lottery or do i have wrong numbers and incorrect information????just the thoughts of an innocent bored kid in chemistry classP.S. dont bring taxes and that bs in to it its just a thought

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the lottery,i read recently in TIME magazine that a man from Kenya moved to Iowa, and on his first day as a US citizen, he bought a lottery ticket, won it, and got 1.89 million. Pretty lucky,huh?

i have done a very small amount of research on lottery odds and winnings and have determined that it mathmatically could have +ev to play MEGA millionsP.S. dont bring taxes and that bs in to it its just a thought
yeah, taxes and that stuff isn't important, it would only take away about 1/3 or so of the total. also if you take the lump sum you wont't get the full amount, and last but not least big jackpots usually have multiple winners. sorry to shoot so many holes in your theory. states don't lose money on lotteries.

For Powerball the overall Odds are 1 in 146,107,962according to there website. I bought 10 since its up over 180 million for tonights drawing. So that means ive got a 1 in 14,610,796.2 chance. Or about the chances of Aces not being cracked on pokerstars.

here's how I see it:If you start playing the lottery when you're 18, and only play once a week, and your state lottery is $1 a ticket, then if you win, it could be +EV.Let's say you play once a week from the time you're 18 until the time you're 70. A year has about 52 weeks a year give or take because of leap years, but we won't include that into our calculations.$1 a week + 52 weeks a year = $52 a yearNumber of years from the time you turn 18 until you're 70 = 52 years52 years of lottery playing + $52 a year in lottery tickets = $2704So that's $2704 you could spend from the time you're 18 until you're 70 for a chance to win millions of dollars. Sure, the odds aren't even close to being there, but I'm willing to spend a measly $1 a week for that small chance.

This summer I worked at the Chicago Board of Trade and we had an awesome lottery pool. My group had 3 owners/ partners and like 15 total employees. The employees bought $10 each and each of the partners matched it.=$600 per week.So I guess our odds of winning were like 1 in 69000. But, since everyone, including the parners take an equal share of the prize it is way =EV for the employees.Pretty sweet eh

My rule is once the lotto reaches 100 million, I buy a ticket.  If I'm going to get lucky, I'm going to get a shiiiit load, not  "dinky" five million
I agree.Anything less than $100 million, I could spend in one lifetime.... :roll: sw
here's how I see it:If you start playing the lottery when you're 18, and only play once a week, and your state lottery is $1 a ticket, then if you win, it could be +EV.Let's say you play once a week from the time you're 18 until the time you're 70.  A year has about 52 weeks a year  give or take because of leap years, but we won't include that into our calculations.$1 a week + 52 weeks a year = $52 a yearNumber of years from the time you turn 18 until you're 70 = 52 years52 years of lottery playing + $52 a year in lottery tickets = $2704So that's $2704 you could spend from the time you're 18 until you're 70 for a chance to win millions of dollars.  Sure, the odds aren't even close to being there, but I'm willing to spend a measly $1 a week for that small chance.
Nice.

One thing people fail to account for when the pot gets large is that with so many people playing the odds of splitting the jackpot go up.One of the wierdest (but completely logical) strategies that I've heard is that if you are going to throw your money away on this thing, always pick numbers above 30. The logic being that most people play their birthdays. Very few people will pick all of their numbers above 30. So while your overall odds of winning the jackpot are just as microscopic as everyone else, you improve your odds of being the ONLY winner of the jackpot.

There was a company a few years back that had done the math and found that it was +ev and did something about it. They tried to buy all the number combinations but only got 2/3 of the way done before the draw and luckily enough they had the winning ticket and there where no other winners so they took it all for a nice profit. They even did a story on it on "how'd they do that".