dont reraise with ak

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, instead of posting something like this where you're telling us the best way to play a hand, why not ask us if we think this is the best way? Your post implies that you're giving us advice on how to play AK, and you're clearly too new to the game to be giving advice. You might want to use this forum to improve your game by asking for advice, just a thought.Secondly, is this limit, NL or PL? What position are you in? What's the stack sizes at the table? Is this a tournament or a ring game? If it's a tournament, what are the blind sizes? How big are the stacks in the blinds? There's so much information you must consider before playing a hand, that making a blanket statement like "don't reraise with AK" is truly ignorant.

First off, instead of posting something like this where you're telling us the best way to play a hand, why not ask us if we think this is the best way? Your post implies that you're giving us advice on how to play AK, and you're clearly too new to the game to be giving advice. You might want to use this forum to improve your game by asking for advice, just a thought.Secondly, is this limit, NL or PL? What position are you in? What's the stack sizes at the table? Is this a tournament or a ring game? If it's a tournament, what are the blind sizes? How big are the stacks in the blinds? There's so much information you must consider before playing a hand, that making a blanket statement like "don't reraise with AK" is truly ignorant.[/quoteWell said. Spinnuh is one of the worst posters in the history of FCP. He is either asking for $, asking for a "transfer", or asking us to watch him play in a play money tournament. Spinnuh is a clown.
theres no pointyou dont have a hand yet  if you do reraise, then after a flop of A26, someone holding AJ or AQ can suspect that you have AK easier then if you would have just called.  you'll win more money if an ace comes this wayif an ace or king doesnt come you dont lose as much money and its not as hard to get away from than if you did reraise and the pot was bigger
Your my Hero :roll:

back to the opin limit. i made a post about 4 betting AK, 50/50 on yes/no. i say no, most good players said in general, no but it depends. many said yesi in nl i would suggest not coming over the top of a re raise, this is live in MTT play, in single table or the final table AK is pretty much an all in situtatioin when everyone is short stacked.AK has what we can FOLD EQUITY. you want a huge preflop pot to take down before the flop. A reraise, to a reraise allin w/ ak when your opponent has a big call to make is ideal. AK is mostly a 50/50 rarley a huge favorite, and rarley a big dog. so its moeny comes from FOLD EQUITY... maikng them call your reraised hand. otherwise its a 50/50 prop for you. BTW NEVER call, that's just stupid when stacks are deep.

case ace... i like youbut i really wasnt trying to say something to do in all situations.. i just know that when i play the AK by just calling a big raise preflop instead of a reraising i have won more many when the A or the K comes.i dont really like having alot of my chips in the middle when its a coin flip situation because i dont win those alot of the time, so i would just much rather see what the flop looks like if its a decent raise that would get most other players out.. but if its a minimum or small raise i would reraise but when the bet gets me and the other player heads up i just call and play the flop

back to the opin limit. i made a post about 4 betting AK, 50/50 on yes/no. i say no, most good players said in general, no but it depends. many said yesi in nl i would suggest not coming over the top of a  re raise, this is live in MTT play, in single table or the final table AK is pretty much an all in situtatioin when everyone is short stacked.AK has what we can FOLD EQUITY.  you want a huge preflop pot to take down before the flop.  A reraise, to a reraise allin w/ ak when your opponent has a big call to make is ideal. AK is mostly a 50/50 rarley a huge favorite, and rarley a big dog. so its moeny comes from FOLD EQUITY... maikng them call your reraised hand. otherwise its a 50/50 prop for you. BTW NEVER call, that's just stupid when stacks are deep.
Wow, I now have a headache. :wall:
back to the opin limit. i made a post about 4 betting AK, 50/50 on yes/no. i say no, most good players said in general, no but it depends. many said yesi in nl i would suggest not coming over the top of a  re raise, this is live in MTT play, in single table or the final table AK is pretty much an all in situtatioin when everyone is short stacked.AK has what we can FOLD EQUITY.  you want a huge preflop pot to take down before the flop.  A reraise, to a reraise allin w/ ak when your opponent has a big call to make is ideal. AK is mostly a 50/50 rarley a huge favorite, and rarley a big dog. so its moeny comes from FOLD EQUITY... maikng them call your reraised hand. otherwise its a 50/50 prop for you. BTW NEVER call, that's just stupid when stacks are deep.
Wow, I now have a headache. :wall:
?anyway, yeah, calling with the ace or king hitting is usually no good IMOi'm not a big fan because you a re 50/50 to any pocket pair WITH 5 CARDS TO COME. if you wait a round for the ace you will be 33% to hit, and that really reduces your coin flip. remember its FOLD equity, you want them to lay down jacks, tens, etc. if you see a flop and fold your screwed to a 33% winner, and try getting more loot out of the tens once an ace is on board. i'm still not sure the game your playing though. could you specify?
I forget how new you are around here.  Here's what I'm thinking...The "what does bb/hr" thread was just a ruse to make us think you are new to poker.  You created that thread only to create that illusion so you could then post this idiotic theory and make us believe that you were serious.I call shenanigans.  I'm so fucking smart it kills me.
....I'll go get my broom... :club:
theres no pointyou dont have a hand yet  if you do reraise, then after a flop of A26, someone holding AJ or AQ can suspect that you have AK easier then if you would have just called.  you'll win more money if an ace comes this wayif an ace or king doesnt come you dont lose as much money and its not as hard to get away from than if you did reraise and the pot was bigger
No possible way you are actually that stupid. Really? You are? Amazing. Incidentally, online tourney, A-Q and A-J are most likely going all in anyway, so I really have no clue where you are coming from. This theory is so wrong I truly have no idea where to start- there is just so much to say. What's that quote from Billy Madison? I Mexico knows it best.

Mr. spinnuh, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Playing AK depends on what you want to accomplish, by limping in you are making it easier to fold post-flop without hitting an A or K. By raising or re-raising you could easily trap yourself for more bets, however, it makes it +EV. Think about this:I limp with AK with 4 callers and flop nothing, it is one-bet to me and I fold (there are 6 cards I expect that give me a winner, so if I see 4th street and catch a card, I will get an A or K and win 6/47 times -- hardly worth a 4-1 payout).I raise with AK and get 4 callers and flop nothing, it is one-bet to me and I call (there are still 6 cards for a winner and now I am getting paid 8-1 on a 6/47 shot, this is +EV)I raise with AK and get re-raised and call with 4 callers, now it is very worth it to draw IF I BELIEVE THAT AN A or K gives me a winner (you are getting paid 12-1 with 4 callers in this case)So playing AK depends on your style, and a good player is going to mix it up all the time. By saying NEVER in poker, you are playing too robotically. I have had times where I fold an AK to a raise and re-raise by a solid player, and times when I 3-bet it in the same position to a fishier player.

theres no pointyou dont have a hand yet if you do reraise, then after a flop of A26, someone holding AJ or AQ can suspect that you have AK easier then if you would have just called.  
I feel like I've come across a lot of guys online who think ace king is big enough to slowplay preflop. I give you credit, Spinnuh, for recognizing that holding ace king is not the same as holding a (we'll assume you meant "made") hand, but the play you're advising adds up to a kind of slowplay anyway. Ace king actually IS a hand (and a pretty good one) preflop -- you're the favorite against a number of decent raising hands and only a slight dog against most others -- but after the flop, as you say, unless an ace or king hits it becomes very tricky to play (although it may still be best). The point is, unless of course you read your opponent for aces or kings, you should almost always be reraising preflop and should be happy to take down the pot right there. The advice you're giving could apply to any preflop hand -- call raises and try to flop something huge. The times you do flop a monster maybe you'll get paid, but the (much more frequent) times you don't you've just put yourself in a position of paying off the aggressor. Also, what do you care if people put you on ace king and lay down after you bet the flop, giving you the big pot that you mananged to create with your preflop reraise? It's not like top pair with a king kicker is such an uncrackable monster that you're just dying to take it to a showdown. By just flat calling raises with ace king you're putting yourself in a position where you need to hit your gin flop ("if an ace flops AND my one of my opponents is holding ace queen AND no one makes two pair or trips or a straight or a flush or sucks out on me...") to make any money.

SSHE has a whole little 3 page sub-section on why you MUST raise/re-raise AK in limit. The edge you gain on the flop does not nearly make up for the edge you pass up preflop. It goes on to say that most people who dont push with AK preflop in a limit game are people who are trying to avoid taking a bad beat. Even Lee Jones's low stakes hold'em book (which is an incredibly tight style) now advocates raising/re-raising with AK. I haven't read it in a while, but I believe he says he used to advise playing it more conservatively but has recently been convinced that raising or re-raising AK preflop for value is the right play. I think the only legitimate discussion to be had about AK preflop in a low-stakes limit game is wether to cap or call a 3-bet. So OP, you are very very wrong about the right way to play AK preflop. If you live in a free country, then feel free to continue passing up large preflop edges in limit games. That's your right, and who am I to insist that you play poker in the most profitable manner?

I absolutely love posts like this...i'd love to be the guy at his table with A x suited and either hit my 2 pair or nut draw...bet into him, have him come over the top and bust him... change your name to 'trout boy' and lets break out the fishing poles...