sometimes you just gotta lay it down.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so I am playing at a pretty good Party Poker 10/20 table, when I am dealt the rockets (A:diamond: A:club:) UTG.  I bring it in for a raise, and folded to MP2 who calls, BB calls.The flop comes A:heart: 10 :club: 9:club:, and BB bets out.  I have the nuts, so I  raise to charge anyone who wants to draw, MP2 cold calls, and BB calls.The turn is the 2:spade:, a pretty good card for my hand.  BB checks, I bet,  MP2 calls again, and BB check-raises me.  I still have the nuts so I 3-bet it,  MP2 folds, and BB calls.The river is the 8:diamond:.  When I see the card I get a sinking feeling becuase I no longer have the nuts.  BB checks, I bet, and BB check-raises me.  I fold to save the $20, disgusted by what looks like a horrible  suckout.I'm not going to post results yet, but I would appreciate any comments on my play.  Thanks.
You are likley toast but you HAVE to call this. Your opponent gained when you folded.Best...
Very simple:If you are going to lay down to a check-raise on the river, why did you bet?
Um, for value.
Clearly, you have no idea what the point of the question was. But if you were betting for value, you thought you had the best hand, and therefore you should have three-bet it. Instead you folded. A Fillmaffian "value fold."This is what it comes down to: You have two alternatives:Either A) You had a killer read, and therefore your bet on the river was urinating your money away when you could have gotten a free look to validate your brilliance, therefore NOT for value or B) You made a horrible fold on a chicken KaKa impulse when you thought you had a winning hand. Or, as you put it, you were betting for value.Which is it?And either way, you are leaving WAY too much money on the table by making a habit of folding in this situation. And I still think you are full of feces.

everyone is missing the purpose of this post here...think about it...thread started by the "LAYDOWNKING" and makes a post about a great laydown that saved himself a whole bigbet or $20 when he knew for a fact he was beat. he obviously wants to be congratulated and applauded for this magnificent "laydown". Allow me to be the first, you make plays that I could only dream about making...So in my defense, you have a gift for reading people and making great laydowns even though the odds suggest otherwise!ok, with all that being said, When and where do you play??? I'm sure all of us here are dying to see just how good of a laydown you can make in such situations :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Very simple:If you are going to lay down to a check-raise on the river, why did you bet?
Um, for value.
Clearly, you have no idea what the point of the question was. But if you were betting for value, you thought you had the best hand, and therefore you should have three-bet it. Instead you folded. A Fillmaffian "value fold."
When I bet on the river, I thought I had the best hand since he could have had a set or something. But when he check-raised me I realized that he had QJ, so it would be stupid to reraise.
OK guys I really do appreciate all the discussion (from those of you who aren't just flaming). But I cite Sklansky's Fundamental theorem of poker: any time you make a decision that isn't what you would have made if your opponents cards were face up, you lose money and your opponent gains money. QED.
tell me why it applies here
Why? Because if he showed me that he had QJ, I should fold - if I call, I am making a mistake according to the FTOP. I made the right play. Also you guys aren't factoring in my read on him.
Why would you bet then
Um, for value.
Clearly, you have no idea what the point of the question was. But if you were betting for value, you thought you had the best hand, and therefore you should have three-bet it. Instead you folded. A Fillmaffian "value fold."
When I bet on the river, I thought I had the best hand since he could have had a set or something. But when he check-raised me I realized that he had QJ, so it would be stupid to reraise.
And of course, it's completely unfeasible that he might check/raise a lower set or worse a tiny fraction of the time, making folding the undoubtedly correct play. This was a brilliant laydown. Congrats.Ay Caramba.
  • 4 weeks later...

You should almost never fold the river when you are heads up for 1 more bet. Especially when you have top set, hell I wouldn't even fold with top pair.

You know what I think is funny tho, that someone posted a story about Barry Greenstein making a fold with his KK full house to a AK full house in some tourney against the poster.And I dont think that many people were yelling about how Barry Greenstein is a major fish.

You know what I think is funny tho, that someone posted a story about Barry Greenstein making a fold with his KK full house to a AK full house in some tourney against the poster.And I dont think that many people were yelling about how Barry Greenstein is a major fish.
Refresh my memory, was that a limit tourney (I honestly don't remember)? If it was, I'll start flaming him right now because it does seem like that would be a terrible laydown. Unless there were better clues to give away what hand his opponent had.The way this hand went down, the OP folding top set is nothing short of ridiculous.
Is this the OP's other SN?I don't know the specific situation You're referring too, but I can venture that:1. It was such a different situation that it's not even close to comparable2. Greenstein would be laughing at how bad OP's fold is3. David Skalansky, who OP referenced, would laugh WITH Count Chocula
OK so I am playing at a pretty good Party Poker 10/20 table, when I am dealt the rockets (A:diamond: A:club:) UTG. I bring it in for a raise, and [it is] folded to MP2 who calls, BB calls.The flop comes A:heart: 10 :club: 9:club:, and BB, believing his underpair is good, bets out. I have the nuts, so I raise to charge anyone who wants to draw, MP2 cold calls, and BB calls.The turn is the 2:spade:, a pretty good card for my hand. BB checks, I bet, MP2 calls again, and BB check-raises me with that same underpair. I still have the nuts so I 3-bet it, MP2 folds, and BB calls.The river is the 8:diamond:. When I see the card I get a sinking feeling becuase I have a sad little shriveled sack. BB checks, I bet, and BB check-raises me. Undaunted, because I have been check-raised on the turn by this assclown, I re-raise, and he caps it. I fold to save the $20, disgusted by what looks like a horrible suckout, as I clearly can't call this without the nuts.I'm not going to post results yet, but I would appreciate any comments on my play. Thanks.
OK guys, you have all told me "this is a horrible laydown." Well how about this: I mucked my aces face up, and BB, looking very surprised showed me 88. I smiled and said "wtf? you were supposed to have QJ?"
FYP.