if raymer wins the main event...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, back to back in these size fields would be simply sick. Would Chan going win-win-second be better? Chan's fields were 156, 167, 178. Merely a fraction of the number now, but the average talent was much higher, but less landmines drawing at you, but less dead money to double through, but a longer tourny, but....you get the idea.

It has to be the greatest poker related accomplishment of all-time. I really don't see how you could argue otherwise.Even making the final table this year would be good enough for me to say that...

Yes it would definately be up there. He could then go on to write a strategy book on tournament poker. Perhaps he would title it Raymer Style: Getting heads up w/ A-A preflop 6 times late in the tournament and winning every coinflip situation.[/u]

Yes it would definately be up there. He could then go on to write a strategy book on tournament poker. Perhaps he would title it Raymer Style: Getting heads up w/ A-A preflop 6 times late in the tournament and winning every coinflip situation.

Guest Anonymous
Yes it would definately be up there. He could then go on to write a strategy book on tournament poker. Perhaps he would title it Raymer Style: Getting heads up w/ A-A preflop 6 times late in the tournament and winning every coinflip situation.
hater.

Can you say Phil Ivey? He is up there with the leaders at around 750k I believe. He will make it two bracelets this year and everyone with him on their fantasy team will be very happy with his decision not to play two events.

...would it be considered the greatest poker achievement of all time??
Probably not. After all, he is running well, and he is catching cards. But what it will prove, to me at least, is that learning to be a good player, and learning to beat a real skill game like limit hold 'em, over a period of years, at a high level, makes you a better all around player and pays dividends in the long run.

I haven't seen Phil Ivey play all that much (I'm new to poker) but the few times I have he seems more like a final table guy than the winner.Raymer is holding about 1.2M in chips so he's well stacked and he has a few more days to increase that.

...would it be considered the greatest poker achievement of all time??
Yes, considered I believe Chan's accomplishment has been the best so far with back to back years.

If Raymer wins the main event this year, it is EASILY- by leaps and motherfucking BOUNDS people- the greatest poker achievement of all time. Chan's achievement was absolutely incredible, but to suggest that "the players were better, then" is just ignorant. Do you REALLY believe that there aren't 150 very strong players in this year's and last year's events?? There are a ton more bad players and weak-ass internet qualifiers, but there are hundreds and hundreds of solid players and hundreds more very strong tournament players. Poker has changed so much since the mid eighties... knowledge of the game is spreading at an exponential rate, and for Raymer to even come CLOSE to besting these fields on more than one occassion is... it's unfathomable.No question.Ice

So to those who say that it wouldn't be the best achievement, then what is? I thought Daniel's 2004 run was quite astonishing.
I'd have a hard time putting it ahead of Doyle's or Johnny's 10 bracelets over multiple decades. Longevity is hard to brush aside. Don't get me wrong, though, it'd be right up there. I like Greg, from everything I've heard and seen of him he's a class guy with real poker knowledge. And that's actually one of the reasons I'd love to see him take it down ... a real skill player proving he's not a fluke like the previous two winners.
I haven't seen Phil Ivey play all that much (I'm new to poker) but the few times I have he seems more like a final table guy than the winner.Raymer is holding about 1.2M in chips so he's well stacked and he has a few more days to increase that.
Watch more poker then and be shown the light that is Phil