ivey winning his 5th bracelet adds weight

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
Anyone who takes the $1M is short sighted and frankly quite stupid. I also think that they somehow think $1M is a lot of money.
LMAO. Give it up buddy.
This reminds me of the Harrington story at the 1995 WSOP: "When Dan made it to the final table of the 1995 World Series of Poker, he proposed a nine-way settlement to the other players. He explained how they would each get enough money that they could invest it and be rich. Chuck Thompson, one of the players and a friend of mine, rejected the idea and told the other players that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make a million dollars. One by one, as each player got knocked out, Dan tried to sell the idea, even offering investment counseling. There were no takers and eventually Dan came away with the full million."
So Chuck would take the million :club: I liked your idea of backing yourself to lose so that you win money either way. Win Win. You've won me over. Of course I would need to find $10 million dollars to place the bet .... got some spare change ?? And this way I get to go on forever about the time I lost $100 million to Phil Ivey.

This is amazing, in a poker forum there are so many people that would pass up on such an incredible chance to play poker for a huge payout. Do you guys even play poker? Do you really favor Ivey that much that you would take the guaranteed 1 mil vs. the chance at 100 mil. Seriously i think that this question shows a lot more about the people answering it than it seems. If you say you would take the 1 mil without even having to consider it, then poker just isn't for you.

This is amazing, in a poker forum there are so many people that would pass up on such an incredible chance to play poker for a huge payout. Do you guys even play poker? Do you really favor Ivey that much that you would take the guaranteed 1 mil vs. the chance at 100 mil. Seriously i think that this question shows a lot more about the people answering it than it seems. If you say you would take the 1 mil without even having to consider it, then poker just isn't for you.
Poker's about picking your battles too. How many tournaments have been finished by deals than the players playing to the finish ??And that $1 million would really help a lot us get off these small limit tables.And yes, I think Phil Ivey is one of the greats. In a skill game that makes me think he would win. I'll take the money and live to fight another day.

take the money and run!! You haven't got a chance heads up against this guy it will take him 6 to 7 hands before he's got you figured out . You wouldn't get the cards long enough to chop him down . Just have to hope for one big hand and even at that this guy is so skilled you won't be able to trap him he'll know ... beleive me he'll know . Like i said in another post it's like ho knows what your holding. I've seen him play in cash games and it just plain out amazes me how he can make the calls he makes or how he can read the table and each individual player . Sitting at a table with this guy just means you truly are DEAD MONEY!!

take the money and run!! You haven't got a chance heads up against this guy it will take him 6 to 7 hands before he's got you figured out . You wouldn't get the cards long enough to chop him down . Just have to hope for one big hand and even at that this guy is so skilled you won't be able to trap him he'll know ... beleive me he'll know . Like i said in another post it's like ho knows what your holding. I've seen him play in cash games and it just plain out amazes me how he can make the calls he makes or how he can read the table and each individual player . Sitting at a table with this guy just means you truly are DEAD MONEY!!
That reminds me of what a friend told me last Fall. He'd won his entry to this year's WSOP and moved to Vegas (where I was living at the time) to get some experience in live poker. Phil Ivey came up in conversation one night. He claimed that Ivey would be able to read him so well that he could beat him without ever even looking at his own cards. I don't think he was kidding. He might be wrong, but I don't think he'd be far wrong.
That reminds me of what a friend told me last Fall. He'd won his entry to this year's WSOP and moved to Vegas (where I was living at the time) to get some experience in live poker. Phil Ivey came up in conversation one night. He claimed that Ivey would be able to read him so well that he could beat him without ever even looking at his own cards. I don't think he was kidding. He might be wrong, but I don't think he'd be far wrong.
i'd put money on that bet !!
Anybody who says they would play for 100 million rather than taking 1 million is LYING! The only caveat is if they are already filthy rich. Give me a break. :roll:
i would go for the 100mil without hesitation for two reasons: first, i'm a sickie that craves action like any other poker player; second, the aforementioned odds. also, i am a very good heads-up player.also, while it isn't exactly part of the equation, i would probably also try to hire someone for some instruction beforehand, maybe allowing them 10% if i win. would DN or another pro take $10mil to train me for this match for a few weeks if i can win? i think so. that's +ev for them, i'd think.then, there's always the book deal, which would cover my $1mil "loss" easy if i can't beat ivey. can we sell tv rights? sure! will i get a sponsorship by some third-rate online poker site? maybe!always think about all of the angles before you decide.
Simple solution... turn down the guaranteed million. Offer Phil 50% of the 100 million to throw the game. Everybody wins.
haha. now, you're thinking! except throwing the game would probably be illegal. Obviously, deal making is the way to go for this ridiculous situation. However, Phil has a lot of leverage here with the deal making and your negotiation skills may suck. I'm sure you would get well over $1M though in any deal.Again, the rest of you have no heart for fictional poker matches! :club:
Anybody who says they would play for 100 million rather than taking 1 million is LYING! The only caveat is if they are already filthy rich. Give me a break. :roll:
i would go for the 100mil without hesitation for two reasons: first, i'm a sickie that craves action like any other poker player; second, the aforementioned odds. also, i am a very good heads-up player.also, while it isn't exactly part of the equation, i would probably also try to hire someone for some instruction beforehand, maybe allowing them 10% if i win. would DN or another pro take $10mil to train me for this match for a few weeks if i can win? i think so. that's +ev for them, i'd think.then, there's always the book deal, which would cover my $1mil "loss" easy if i can't beat ivey. can we sell tv rights? sure! will i get a sponsorship by some third-rate online poker site? maybe!always think about all of the angles before you decide.
Finally, a gambler posts. Any gambler would jump at the action.Not to make fun, but after reading the post I wasn't surprised to see LA as your location.

Ok, some of you angle shooting bastiges are trying to trick your way out of the implied point of the post, so I'll edit. =PYou are given the choice to do it on the spot.You do not have time to place side bets.You do not have time to hire anyone for anything.Ivey will not deal.The blinds do NOT go up.

Ok, some of you angle shooting bastiges are trying to trick your way out of the implied point of the post, so I'll edit.  =PYou are given the choice to do it on the spot.You do not have time to place side bets.You do not have time to hire anyone for anything.Ivey will not deal.The blinds do NOT go up.
sure. i'd still do it. i can do a lot with $1mil, but i can do 100x more with $100mil. if i don't win, hey. i took a shot.

I work 40hrs/week for $40k/year and have a mortgage. I'd take the 1mil in a heartbeat. PLEASE NOTE I am taking into account the updated "rules" for this hypothetical question where you can't make any kind of deals with Ivey. Most of the prior responses keep mentioning deals.1 million IS a lot of money - but that is relative. For elkang 1mil may not be a lot of money. Again it is relative.

if you raise every hand allin pre flop, overall you're only a 3:2 dog.That means playing Phil heads up NL for $100M gives you $40M equity. Why trade that for $1M? (Unless that would make a huge difference in your life by itself.)Playing Limit would be insane.

I'd take the million, even though I think I'd have better than a 1/100 chance to beat Ivey heads up.The fact is, I'd be a clear underdog, and 1 million can buy alot in todays world. If it was 100 000 to win, or 1 000 to take, I'd probably play.1 000 000 for 10 000 would be a tough choice for me. The answer to this question obviously depends on how much $1M would mean to you.

just because you wouldnt gamble doesnt mean i am lying for saying i would. i by no means am rich but i think that i can live on what i got. yes a million would be fantastic if it was given to me and i would make my life a lot easier. but hey i get by now without having a million handed to me. i would gamble for the 100 million because first i beleive i have a better than 1 percent chance of winning with the structure that was proposed. also if i lost and got nothing who cares i didnt technically lose anything either. except for maybe giving up the opportunity to be given a million. right now like i said i dont have a million and i am getting by so who cares if i lost the 100 mill freeze out, i am in the exact same spot i was in when i started no less and no more. but if i did so happen to win the freeze out my family would be well of for many generations. so honestly i can say that i would play the 100 mill in a heart beat, without question.... i would even it i would even go so far as to say if the freeze out was for 50 mill i would play that too. just on a side note. i think a quote from dolye would help. someone once asked him if he would risk every dollar he had for a bet in which if he could guess a coin flip right once out of five flips and get 5 times the amount if he did would he do it... everyone else said no but doyle.... well shit i forgot what the story was oh well

Lets's phrase it like this:If you had only $1 Million more than you do now in the bank.Would you give all of it up to playPhil Ivey heads up to possibly win $100 Million ?I didn't think so.Do any of you saying yes have more than 250k? In savings?If so, ok..but others, thats just retarded.Please +EV is faaaarrr outweighed by utility theory here.Now, there are some, who gain more joy from winning $1 than they get pain from losing $2...this is the extreme..Stu Unger variety..and they aren't spending time posting on here...too many Greyhounds to bet on.also: someone said you have a 40% chance if yuo go all in every hand.Really? I think that depends on Phil's decision. But surely someone can point me to this analysis.

Yeah i don't know about the 40% chance by going all in on every hand, though playing in a style like this takes away Ivey's obvious post flop advantage where he will likely outplay you most of the time. I am however not saying that this challenge would be smart for everyone here, but for any fairly skilled player an opportunity to get 100 to 1 is not one that can be passed up. The more you understand heads up hold em the more you can limit the edge, even against the world's best players. Look at Andy Beal, he took 12 mill. off the corporation in one day, the largest amount ever won in poker in a single day. Beal had nowhere near the experience of pros he beat that day, but yet he still competed at the top level. In the later matches, several pros, including Greenstein felt that Beal had outplayed them. In a heads up game, with two skilled players, the edge is never that large for either player.

if you raise every hand allin pre flop, overall you're only a 3:2 dog.That means playing Phil heads up NL for $100M gives you $40M equity. Why trade that for $1M? (Unless that would make a huge difference in your life by itself.)Playing Limit would be insane.
in the long run you are only a 3-2 dog. but this is only one game, anything can and will happen if you go all in every hand. and it's not like he is going to call. this is really stupid, he can just wait for a strong hand a call. only and idiot would play this wayteneight