A Comment On Daniels Blog Today 6/4

Lets start with... I look forward to reading Daniels blog everday. Its very rare to hear the true feelings of celebrities let alone there daily comings and goings. Its neat to hear the matches he plays, the bad beats, the big wins and so on. He ( I beleive) is a very honest an down to earth guy and I have a funny feeling he will be getting some slack for todays blog. First of all I admire his honesty, especially to the general public. It must be a royal pain in the ass to constantly be bothered for autos and pic. I have a few high profile NFL friends who deal with it everday, and I watch them deal with it. They almost always sign or take pic's, they rarely turn anyone down. Im usually the one taking the pictures for the fans so they can get in the shot, it ticks me off sometimes and Im not the celebrity! I here how they talk when the crowds are gone and believe me they are just as aggravated to sign 100 autos and taking 100 pics, but they do because they know who butters there bread....the fans. So don't bash Daniel, because you havent walked in his shoes. Thanks for the honesty Daniel, its refreshing.

Lets start with... I look forward to reading Daniels blog everday. Its very rare to hear the true feelings of celebrities let alone there daily comings and goings. Its neat to hear the matches he plays, the bad beats, the big wins and so on. He ( I beleive) is a very honest an down to earth guy and I have a funny feeling he will be getting some slack for todays blog. First of all I admire his honesty, especially to the general public. It must be a royal pain in the ass to constantly be bothered for autos and pic. I have a few high profile NFL friends who deal with it everday, and I watch them deal with it. They almost always sign or take pic's, they rarely turn anyone down. Im usually the one taking the pictures for the fans so they can get in the shot, it ticks me off sometimes and Im not the celebrity! I here how they talk when the crowds are gone and believe me they are just as aggravated to sign 100 autos and taking 100 pics, but they do because they know who butters there bread....the fans. So don't bash Daniel, because you havent walked in his shoes. Thanks for the honesty Daniel, its refreshing.
LOL....I'm sure you have some high profile NFL friends. Don't we all.....Are they the 3rd and 4th string kickers for the Dolphins?
I think I’m just going to have to learn to say, “Not right now sorry, I’m a little busy.”
works for me.the same people hounding DN for autos/pics wouldn'y want to be mobbed by 25telemarketers at dinnertime.normal people should understand.
I believe he has some friends in the NFL...it's not like he was braggin about it or anything.....and besides, no NFL team carries 3-4 kickers. Get it right.......
the dolphins might, it's not like they'll be scoring any TDs :twisted:

In my humble opinion it is not unreasonable for fans to ask for autographs or photos in your place of employ. For hockey players that is at the game, for football players that is at the game, for poker players that is at the game. For a movie star it is at any publicity appearance,.I also think it is not unreasonable to decline autographs, pics etc. I remember someon who was a celbrity sho says when she was a kid and she was at the Academy Awards (gee that must be nice by the way) she saw Paul Newman and walked up to his seat and asked for his autograph. He patiently explained to her that he couldn't sign her autograph because if he signed hers then he would have to sign one for everyone. Just think of how many people are int hat audience and it makes sense....I also think that celerbities of any kind should always turn down autograph requests when they are eating at a restaurant or something like that. Even though they are in public that does not mean that they are not hoping for some basic privacy. I would go so far as to say that those who ask celebrities for autographs at times like that are really no better than paparazzi, and I won't evengo into what I think of paparazzi. of course, the paparazzi should know better, while the general public often does not think in these terms.If Daniel gets flamed because of his latest blog then those doing the flaming are jerks pure and simple.DN, good for you for sticking up for yourself and doing so (via your blog) in a way that reasonable people can understand your p.o.v.

I agree Daniel shouldn't have to go through and insane amount of people just to play in something so important to him. And was anyone giving him flack? or is this a premptive strike, cause I really don't think anyone here is going to flame him. On that note when actors and stuff feel they don't have enough privacy, too ****ing bad, you are a millionaire, the people who are begging you aren't, you are blessed, get over it, most people would trade you in a heartbeat, but what actors are doing is a little different since the WSOP it could really affect your play and what not.

I agree Daniel shouldn't have to go through and insane amount of people just to play in something so important to him. And was anyone giving him flack? or is this a premptive strike, cause I really don't think anyone here is going to flame him. On that note when actors and stuff feel they don't have enough privacy, too censored bad, you are a millionaire, the people who are begging you aren't, you are blessed, get over it, most people would trade you in a heartbeat, but what actors are doing is a little different since the WSOP it could really affect your play and what not.
I agree. With actors, you walk up to them on the set, you're affecting their work time, get outta their face. Same with poker players. Maybe they should have some kind of decompression chamber where recent bustouts can go for a while to collect themselves before being barraged.

This is definitely a pre-emptive strike where one was unnecessary. People in this forum aren't going to criticize Daniel Negreanu for expressing his feelings about the huge crowds at the WSOP and the stress involved in dealing with them.I don't think there will be or should be much discussion on this topic. To Daniel: I personally don't think you have as much reason to worry about expressing your feelings as you might think. Most of us who read your blog are normal human beings and we definitely have respect for you, and therefore respect your honesty. In thinking about the amount of time you spend accomodating others, I think of the crap I put up with in order to please others and then try to imagine it multiplied by a thousand. I think most people can at least have some measure of sympathy for your situation.All of us here in the forum would much rather see you achieving your WSOP goals than making everyone who wants a picture happy. Think of your website as your safe haven.This is just my opinion, but I hope it gives you a better idea of the general sentiment around here.

This was a good blog entry, I'll be heading out to Vegas for the WSOP and seeing a lot of players that I look up too and have studied for a long time. But on that note I've learned from a young age that the curteous thing to do is just give a polite wave or a hand shake.Maybe it's because I don't see the big deal in autographs I dont know... Will I ask for pictures? Maybe, if the times right but I doubt I'll see many of the big names away from the WSOP Mess so I doubt I'll walk away with anything more than a few hand shakes which is fine by me.I respect the honesty in the journal entry and he realized while writing that it could be taken completely out of context... to make sure that didn't happen he certainly cleared it up for everyone.I just hope the Heads-Up matches continue during my visit, that will just be fun to watch.

Daniel,I am curious if Chip Reese has agreed to participate in any of your challenge matches.?......Jennifer Harman, Doyle Brunson, Johnny Chan seem to agree that he is the greatest all around poker player alive today...no small praise as I am sure you are aware.....granted being the best poker player in the world is hard to do.....and I am sure many people would argue that you deserve that title.....just kinda curious what kinda thoughts would go through your mind if Chip decided to take you up on all 9 events....? I think people would really love to watch that match. Besides being tremendously skilled you are both deservedly praised for being great human beings!....anyway...I think it would be great for poker....thanks for your time.Regards,Boston

Chip Reese has said that he will not play.  He and I get along well and he has no interest in busting me, which he very well could.
Very cool answer.

Personally, i can't believe fans will approach someone like Daniel while he is eating or after he was just knocked out of a tourney. T'is a bit rude, really. Its funny--people mention football players, actors, etc. as being examples of celebrities who shoudl be nice to their fans--due in part, i suppose, that it is the fans who indirectly pay their salaries. Well, that isn't really the case in Poker. Daniel drops 10K down to win the WSOP main event--it isn't the advertising dollars, TV shows, etc. that pay him--it is how well he does in the tourney that determines his pay. Now i know that the popularity has increased his exposure, increased the size of the prize pools and probably resulted in some sponsorships that earn him a little side cash---but the fact that these poker players put up with this is a tribute to how nice these guys/gals are. I love the idea of being able to walk right up to one of these guys (when they're just standing around and not eating, of course) and say hello. But i'm afraid of what all of these hounding fans will do to the game. Besides being distracting fpr the players--they're going to force them into a "private area" which will make them harder to see/meet, which could very well make some fans all the more determined to hound these players at whatever cost when the finally DO get a chance to see them away from the tables.Whenever i run into someone who is famous--most of the time i leave them alone or just get a hand shake. To tell you the truth, i just don't want to bother them. I love my alone time--and i can't imagine what it is like to always being stared at, having meals interrupted or be forced to put on a fake smile when you're tired and just lost 10 grand.

Its funny--people mention football players, actors, etc. as being examples of celebrities who shoudl be nice to their fans--due in part, i suppose, that it is the fans who indirectly pay their salaries. Well, that isn't really the case in Poker. Daniel drops 10K down to win the WSOP main event--it isn't the advertising dollars, TV shows, etc. that pay him--it is how well he does in the tourney that determines his pay. Now i know that the popularity has increased his exposure, increased the size of the prize pools and probably resulted in some sponsorships that earn him a little side cash---but the fact that these poker players put up with this is a tribute to how nice these guys/gals are.
You vastly underestimate how much money the high profile players are making in edorsements. Take Daniel, for example. He has sydicated columns, a video game, a website, he is "poker ambassador" for the Wynn, he (I think) endorses Poker Mountain, etc etc. This is all due to the fans that make the advertising dollars worthwhile for his sponsors. I don't see any difference between the big poker players and sports stars.That said, I think people who stand on the rails and yell, "All In!!!" every hand are extremely annoying and should be banned.
Its funny--people mention football players, actors, etc. as being examples of celebrities who shoudl be nice to their fans--due in part, i suppose, that it is the fans who indirectly pay their salaries. Well, that isn't really the case in Poker. Daniel drops 10K down to win the WSOP main event--it isn't the advertising dollars, TV shows, etc. that pay him--it is how well he does in the tourney that determines his pay. Now i know that the popularity has increased his exposure, increased the size of the prize pools and probably resulted in some sponsorships that earn him a little side cash---but the fact that these poker players put up with this is a tribute to how nice these guys/gals are.
You vastly underestimate how much money the high profile players are making in edorsements. Take Daniel, for example. He has sydicated columns, a video game, a website, he is "poker ambassador" for the Wynn, he (I think) endorses Poker Mountain, etc etc.
Huh. I didn't realize it was THAT lucrative yet. Sports stars make millions in endorsements (the stars making more than they do from their team)--while poker players prolly make a rather small fraction of their income from endorsements. In either event--people need to use some tact.
Guest Anonymous
You vastly underestimate how much money the high profile players are making in edorsements. Take Daniel, for example. He has sydicated columns, a video game, a website, he is "poker ambassador" for the Wynn, he (I think) endorses Poker Mountain, etc etc.
How lucrative the endorsements are is still irrelevant. As stated before, with athletes their salaries are paid by fans. This is not the case with poker players. Therefore they have no moral obligation to be courteous to collective employers. That being said, Daniel is a fine example of how one should behave while in the public eye.Daniel and Barry Bonds probably don't have much in common.
Huh. I didn't realize it was THAT lucrative yet. Sports stars make millions in endorsements (the stars making more than they do from their team)--while poker players prolly make a rather small fraction of their income from endorsements. In either event--people need to use some tact.
I totally disagree with you here. Daniel is making anywhere from $10-20 million in endorsements alone. Do you think he became poker ambassador at the Wynn for $100,000? No way. He probably was paid between $2-3 million as he is obligated to now solely play at the Wynn. Also, all of the articles he writes, the video games he's in, etc. he gets paid a ton of money just like athletes do. Poker nowadays is massive worldwide pretty much and DN is definetely cashing in on it. I think you aren't seeing the clear picture in that Daniel is making a LARGE fraction of his income from endorsements. Why do you think he doesn't care about losing money in cash games and tournaments? Because he has so much from endorsements and his investments.

and it is obviously wise of Daniel to be doing all those extras beyond playing poker -- and surely that must take a little bit of the pressure off when it comes to the big matches.I've been a bit slow to realize just how huge poker is, but I'm from Winnipeg, and Winnipeg is not exactly a pacesetter when it comes to the next "in" thing. We're usually 2-3 years behind everywhere else.But checking out Father's Day flyers from a number of different stores this week, and they ALL have a 2 page spread with poker chips, tables, accessories, etc.It is HUGE, and Daniel has positioned himself very well. His personality is a big plus.

Post 2 up is right. Daniel has to definitely be making a lot more on the business aspect now than at cash games.I'll liken this to Paul Phillips. You see him take a lot more risks to win a tournament, because the money is unimportant to him. Daniel is now at the point where he can do the same. All he cares about is the titles, he's made that known. The money is "a way of keeping score."So he's well off, even with losses at the challenge matches, tournaments, etc.