caught a cheater: what to do?

At my home game this week we caught a player cheating. When he was dealing he would put out the flop then immediately burn a card. He would then move the next card a little bit so the corner would show and then get really low and check his hold cards and he could see what was coming. If he needed that card he would flip it of he would burn again and flip the next card, thus giving himself two options for both the turn and river. This person is a regular player and was a friend to many of us. Another player picked up on it and grabbed all the discards before they were returned to the deck and counted the cards. There were 2 extra cards. We let him cash out and go but want to recover our losses. Any advice? Thank you.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt have let him cash out and go. i would have kicked him out and taken the rest of his money on the table. if he argues, you guys beat him up or something. i dont think theres any magical way of fixing a problem like this other than to take back what he took from you

At my home game this week we caught a player cheating. When he was dealing he would put out the flop then immediately burn a card. He would then move the next card a little bit so the corner would show and then get really low and check his hold cards and he could see what was coming. If he needed that card he would flip it of he would burn again and flip the next card, thus giving himself two options for both the turn and river. This person is a regular player and was a friend to many of us. Another player picked up on it and grabbed all the discards before they were returned to the deck and counted the cards. There were 2 extra cards. We let him cash out and go but want to recover our losses. Any advice? Thank you.
Invite him back and pay two very large gay men to be waiting for him when he went to the bathroom. Of course...you have the two very large gay men in the nude ready to sodomize him.Cheaters are the biggest scum on earth....right behind child molestors.

i would count up the entire amount of money you have lost to him over the course of your "friendship" and go to him and ask for it back. If he wants to save his dignity and his relationship with the people he played poker with then he will. If he doesnt agree to this beat his ass.

You take all his money on the table. Then you make him eat a poker chip.But seriously, you shouldn't have let him leave with any of your money.And seriously, you should have made him eat a chip.

you are the nicest group of card players. ever.He definitly wouldn't have walked out of there with any money on him unscathed in the home games I play in.My group would have given him a choice: have the absolute censored kicked out of you and leave with what is currently in his wallet, or turn over every dime he had on him and get out.

You were required to at least punch him once in the face. Or the gentlemenly thing to do is ask him if he wants it in the face or the stomach. If he says stomach, punch him in the face. If he says face, punch him in the face.

I think my reaction would depend on a few things. If it was a low stakes "friendly" game (like a $5 or $10 buy-in) and the person was a good friend of mine, I think I'd just tell him he was a bad person and never let him live it down. He's likely not going to try to cheat anymore once he had been caught, but I'd be careful not to let him deal anymore. If we ever caught him cheating again, then I'd stop inviting him to the game.If the person was a good friend and the stakes were more significant, I would let him cash-out what he had bought in for and split the rest of it up amongst the remaining players. Then I'd tell him to leave and let him know that he was never invited to play with us again.If it was a person that I wasn't too familiar with, and the stakes were pretty high, I would probably struggle not to become physically violent. I would want to create a situation where he was perfectly happy to run out the door and leave his money behind.In general, at home games, I don't tolerate deviations from proper dealing. Burning a card immediately defeats the purpose of burning a card. I've dealt with this type of a situation twice:1. The first time the player would deal all the down cards then immediately burn a card. Then he would flop the top 3 and burn the next card, and so on. I asked him not to do that, explaining that the burn card's purpose is to protect the visibility of the card that would be turned up next on the flop, turn, or river. He brushed me off, and did it again the next time. I told him, as well as the rest of the table, that from now on when he put the burn card down at the wrong time, I was going to turn it face up. He tried to call my bluff by doing it again, and I turned the card face up. At first he was all mad at me, and I said, "I told you I was going to do that, why did you expect something different?" Everybody at the table backed me up, and from then on he changed the way he dealt.2. I played with a player once who would deal out all of the hole cards, burn a card, deal 3 cards face down, burn, 1 face down, burn, one face down. When the time came, he'd flip up the appropriate card(s). I asked him nicely not to do that and gave him a few reasons why it was a bad idea. He refused to change, so I began to muck my cards into his pre-dealt flop, turn, and river. Maybe I'm a huge jerk, but there was really no reason for what he was doing.

You were required to at least punch him once in the face. Or the gentlemenly thing to do is ask him if he wants it in the face or the stomach. If he says stomach, punch him in the face. If he says face, punch him in the face.
hahahahaha.

Take all of the money he has on the table (including his buy-in) and split it amongst the other players. Then tell him he can't ever play again.

Here's a question: In a very friendly home game I play in, amongst 5 or 6 very good friends, one guy accused another guy of cheating after he lost with kings against aces. The likelihood of this guy actually having cheated was next to nil, and what happened was the guy who was accused got pissed and left (his own apartment) and we stopped playing. We haven't played since (a few of us graduated, and have moved). The worst part is, the accused was pretty much the donator in our game, barely knew how to shuffle, and had only won 2 out of 30+ of these "sit-n-go" type games. What would you guys have done in that situation?

We let him cash out and go but want to recover our losses. Any advice? Thank you.
I would have let him sodomize my dog on the way out too, since you're being nice and all.
Here's a question: In a very friendly home game I play in, amongst 5 or 6 very good friends, one guy accused another guy of cheating after he lost with kings against aces. The likelihood of this guy actually having cheated was next to nil, and what happened was the guy who was accused got censored and left (his own apartment) and we stopped playing. We haven't played since (a few of us graduated, and have moved). The worst part is, the accused was pretty much the donator in our game, barely knew how to shuffle, and had only won 2 out of 30+ of these "sit-n-go" type games. What would you guys have done in that situation?
I would have served the accuser a nice warm cup of STFU.
We let him cash out and go but want to recover our losses. Any advice? Thank you.
I would have let him sodomize my dog on the way out too, since you're being nice and all.
If you make them stop and its safe of course. DON'T LET THEM CASH OUT!
Regardless of whether he was cheating or not one of you should have caught on to the fact that he was burning early. The entire point of the burn card is to prevent cheating. (If the cards happen to be marked, the cheater will not be able to see the card that will be in play on the turn and river). If it comes off early it defeats the purpose of even having a burn card.How long did this go on? I'm really shocked that this wasn't picked up on the first time he burned early. That's a giant red flag that something isn't right.
He would then move the next card a little bit so the corner would show and then get really low and check his hold cards and he could see what was coming.
Do you guys play on a mirror? I'm still trying to picture how a person can stoop low enough to look up at something that is a half inch above the table.
He would then move the next card a little bit so the corner would show and then get really low and check his hold cards and he could see what was coming.
Do you guys play on a mirror? I'm still trying to picture how a person can stoop low enough to look up at something that is a half inch above the table.
Hot fireplace iron + sodomy = +EV way to deal with cheaters.Also copper wire connected to battery terminal + trouser snake eye = loads of fun for the kiddies.We could have a whole cheater torture thread here.