Fchl Discussion Thread

Well let's be fair here...everyone in the league knows this is a season of haves and have-nots, why would anyone want to sneak into the 8-spot only to get destroyed by Dave or Jay's team in the first round? Makes more sense to be hoping for a high 1st round pick if you're one of the teams that is rebuilding (which is roughly half the league at this point).
your right, and I'm looking to not make it as much as anyone else. But I had noticed before Zach posted what a great race it was, and then thought....ya, I dont even want to win it, and I doubt any of the other 5 do either.Its more of a viewpoint on the pool itself, and that its unfortunate we dont have a larger reward for making the playoffs. Just an observation, wish I had an idea how to make it better. To be honest, part of me wonders how impossible is it really to see one of us upset the top seed? 3-1 dog? 4-1?
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's just the nature of the pool that a better team will be a bigger favorite, unlike the NHL where a 7-game series can be won by an 8th seed or whatever a little bit more often? I dunno, seems that way anyways. We don't get to use the intangibles that some NHL teams do, teamwork, experience, hot goalies, etc.

How many of you would have beaten Dave's -1 score last night? I also don't want anything to do with him or Jay. Wait, I just realized that, assuming neither me, Jay and Dave win in the 1st round, I'm guaranteed to get Jay in the 2nd round, right? Balls.Still, a lucky win here or there, a bad week from their goalies, anything could happen. You, Davey and MLP (pre-trade) all would be at least, say, 20% to beat one of those guys in a series.
I got beaten in the first round by decent underdogs the first two years I made the playoffs, it definitely happens. I don't think I could take any of the top 5 contenders (Dave, Jay, Danny, Dan, John) in a 7 game series more than 1 out of 10 times, so it makes a ton more sense to hope for losses and a better pick in a decent FCHL draft class. I have a moral obligation not to lose games on purpose, so I still ice the best lineups I can come up with from my roster, but that doesn't mean at this point that I'm fairly disappointed when I win (especially in a game like last night against one of the aforementioned "Big 5" where I should have lost a good percentage of the time).

fwiw, i hugely want to make the playoffs for 2 reasons: 1 - i dont have my 1st this year2 - i want to keep my playoff streak alivewith that said, i didnt feel that there was much value in going for one of the bigger name RFAs (Kovalchuk) and i wouldnt have been prepared to give up too much for the guys like koivu and stastny due to where i am at in the rebuild. i still think that its impressive to even be where i am with an overall salary of $45.25 and eric cole as my top paid player.

I got beaten in the first round by decent underdogs the first two years I made the playoffs, it definitely happens. I don't think I could take any of the top 5 contenders (Dave, Jay, Danny, Dan, John)
Ummm...
Yeah, it's just the nature of the pool that a better team will be a bigger favorite, unlike the NHL where a 7-game series can be won by an 8th seed or whatever a little bit more often? I dunno, seems that way anyways. We don't get to use the intangibles that some NHL teams do, teamwork, experience, hot goalies, etc.
I mostly agree, but it can't be ignored that in a close 5-team race, the one who makes it will most likely have 'hot' players.
I got beaten in the first round by decent underdogs the first two years I made the playoffs, it definitely happens. I don't think I could take any of the top 5 contenders (Dave, Jay, Danny, Dan, John) in a 7 game series more than 1 out of 10 times, so it makes a ton more sense to hope for losses and a better pick in a decent FCHL draft class. I have a moral obligation not to lose games on purpose, so I still ice the best lineups I can come up with from my roster, but that doesn't mean at this point that I'm fairly disappointed when I win (especially in a game like last night against one of the aforementioned "Big 5" where I should have lost a good percentage of the time).
Can't believe it is 1/10. Maybe close to that if it is Dave or Jay, though I'd guess more like 1/5.I'm terrified of playing Steve, probably more so then John. I feel like he has all the expansion powers in his mighty grasp.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with seven draft picks in the 2012 draft. I think 2012 is going to be the year of the farm callup for the Lost Cause...it pretty much has to be unless a lot of guys jump off the cliff in their development.

I just hope I win the auction this year. I'll probably end up 2nd last overall. Would be nice to see Mike get screwed out of a 1st, two years in a row, with the tank jobs he's been doing. I'd like to not drop to 3rd again, though.That said, I'll be taking a forward, and Landesomething, RNH, and Coutourier all seem to be evenish, so not super worried.I somehow have 7 picks total and only 1 open spot on my farm, as well. Blah. Oh well, you had a nice run, Marek Zagrapan.

I just hope I win the auction this year. I'll probably end up 2nd last overall. Would be nice to see Mike get screwed out of a 1st, two years in a row, with the tank jobs he's been doing. I'd like to not drop to 3rd again, though.That said, I'll be taking a forward, and Landesomething, RNH, and Coutourier all seem to be evenish, so not super worried.I somehow have 7 picks total and only 1 open spot on my farm, as well. Blah. Oh well, you had a nice run, Marek Zagrapan.
back to back undeserved firsts sure would be wrong. really, how lucky could I be? :club:
I just hope I win the auction this year. I'll probably end up 2nd last overall. Would be nice to see Mike get screwed out of a 1st, two years in a row, with the tank jobs he's been doing. I'd like to not drop to 3rd again, though.
Mike's team is shitty but no one can accuse him of tanking. He ices his lineups every night and even called up his best farmhands when it did him a disservice to do so. He didn't even trade away his highly tradeable assets at the deadline...he just has a horrible team.
Mike's team is shitty but no one can accuse him of tanking. He ices his lineups every night and even called up his best farmhands when it did him a disservice to do so. He didn't even trade away his highly tradeable assets at the deadline...he just has a horrible team.
That's fair. Definitely not tanking. Just not a good fantasy hockey team. Draw your own conclusions from that I guess.
sounds like its being run by a bad GM too. :)Hey, Im as guilty as anyone of being a poor GM this year. I havent given it much thought and didnt try to go after any FAs and fill up my roster. I had some stiffs, and didnt bother to change. sorry.
I'll still never figure out why Doughty or Seguin got called up, in a league where you can only sign one contract to a max of five years. He has to have his reasons, but I'll never understand them.
I'm pretty sure it was because he was tired of constantly being the center of the FCHL-gripe universe, people were trying to kick him out last year for not caring about the team he put on the ice, so he did everything he could to try and compete this year...still didn't work obviously.
I'm pretty sure it was because he was tired of constantly being the center of the FCHL-gripe universe, people were trying to kick him out last year for not caring about the team he put on the ice, so he did everything he could to try and compete this year...still didn't work obviously.
He called up Bogosian and Doughty before that happened, it is just part of his weird strategy.

I could probably manage to free up some empty space on my farm if anyone is dropping guys. Hell, Zagrapan is an upgrade over Ruslan Bashkirov!After all his pick-trading, Arp could have a 20-member farm for about a buck!

I could probably manage to free up some empty space on my farm if anyone is dropping guys. Hell, Zagrapan is an upgrade over Ruslan Bashkirov!After all his pick-trading, Arp could have a 20-member farm for about a buck!
Heh...my castoffs would instantly become top ten prospects on the Moneyshots farm. :club:
wait, what?are you saying there's too many picks and not enough farm spots? really. Im shocked! :club:
I wouldn't be opposed to dropping the 5th round from the draft, personally.