Random Baseball Observations

Not always, doctors can prescribe them.
Of course - doctors can also prescribe cocaine (EDIT: this may not be true anymore, but you get the point). Obtaining and using them without a prescription is against the law, and is what mlb players were doing.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

Sandberg could be the 5th best second baseman and Griffey the 8th best outfielder, but that wouldn't mean Sandberg is better than Griffey.Note: numbers randomly selected.
Yeah, but sandberg's production out of a second base position is exceedingly rare, particularly in the pre-roid era. His 277 HRs as a secondbaseman was a record at the position until Kent broke it, and lead the league in HR's one season (40). 9 gold gloves, 10 silver bats, has the .989 fielding percentage for his career, the best ever for a second basemen. I'm not really making the argument that Ryne is the best second basemen of all time, but I think the steroid era immediately overshadowed how great and rare a commodity he was.
.989 fielding percentage for his career, the best ever for a second basemen.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but that appears to be untrue. 1. Placido Polanco (34) .9927 R2. Jose Oquendo .9919 R3. Craig Counsell (39) .9911 R4. Dustin Pedroia (26) .9907 R5. Freddy Sanchez (32) .9902 R6. Scott Fletcher .9898 R7. Mark Ellis (33) .9897 R8. Ryne Sandberg+ .9894http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/...2b_career.shtml
I don't mean to be a jerk, but that appears to be untrue. 1. Placido Polanco (34) .9927 R2. Jose Oquendo .9919 R3. Craig Counsell (39) .9911 R4. Dustin Pedroia (26) .9907 R5. Freddy Sanchez (32) .9902 R6. Scott Fletcher .9898 R7. Mark Ellis (33) .9897 R8. Ryne Sandberg+ .9894http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/...2b_career.shtml
I hate to disagree with you, but wikipedia says it's a major league record for a second basemen, so I mean, I think we all know who the more reliable source is.

I think spit-balls, doctored balls, and corked bats are far worse than juicing. The former are direct effects on the integrity of the game whereas taking steroids is a much more indirect effect on the integrity of the game.

The former are direct effects on the integrity of the game whereas taking steroids is a much more indirect effect on the integrity of the game.
Can you give some reason why you think this is the case? On the flip side, spitballs at least are blatant cheating, right out there on the field. I could argue that this is a "more fair form of cheating," since by its nature it has to be done on the field, repeatedly, in full view of the umpires and the opposing team. Steroids however taint the game in a much less tangible way, and it is impossible to catch somebody cheating with PEDs by watching them during the game. So I could go on to argue that, however direct or indirect the method might of cheating might be, steroids have had a far far larger effect on how much integrity people think the game has.
Can you give some reason why you think this is the case? On the flip side, spitballs at least are blatant cheating, right out there on the field. I could argue that this is a "more fair form of cheating," since by its nature it has to be done on the field, repeatedly, in full view of the umpires and the opposing team. Steroids however taint the game in a much less tangible way, and it is impossible to catch somebody cheating with PEDs by watching them during the game. So I could go on to argue that, however direct or indirect the method might of cheating might be, steroids have had a far far larger effect on how much integrity people think the game has.
I think you accurately gauge the perception. I just do not agree that it is the reality. My reason was the direct/indirect thing. Making the actual baseball different to the point that it flies differently seems like a much larger impact on the game than making oneself stronger. That's just how I see it. It's not like there is a right answer.

Edwin Jackson (Diamondbacks) just threw a no-hitter against the Rays! It was almost another perfect game except for a fielding error by Stephen Drew, as well as Jackson's eight walks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
damn Matt Garza threw yet another no-no in MLB
Against a AAA team. lol I like to call the Tigers the Toledo Mud Hens Major League Affiliate or Miggy and the Mud Hens.He also stated that he didn't have any idea he was throwing a no no until he looked at the scoreboard in the 9th inning. BS.But good for him. I watched it and was rooting for him even though he was pitching a no no to my hometown team.
Against a AAA team. lol I like to call the Tigers the Toledo Mud Hens Major League Affiliate or Miggy and the Mud Hens.He also stated that he didn't have any idea he was throwing a no no until he looked at the scoreboard in the 9th inning. BS.But good for him. I watched it and was rooting for him even though he was pitching a no no to my hometown team.
If the Tigers are a AAA team , who are the Orioles...The Jays are about to go 11-0 against them ..And the games arent even close...
If the Tigers are a AAA team , who are the Orioles...The Jays are about to go 11-0 against them ..And the games arent even close...
Usual Tigers Lineup:Austin Jackson - rookie (pretty decent one at that thank god)Wil Rhymes - 28 year old career minor leaguer. First stint in the MLB. 10 games played now.Brennan Boesch - rookie, on no one's radar, had great awesome super duper first half and is now batting 6 for 62.Miguel Cabrera - okay, he is good.Jhonny Peralta - aquired days ago in trade, thank god we can send rookie Scott Siezmore back to ToledoDon Kelly - minor leaguer up and down a lot to fill in gapsFrazier - called up to his first stint at the MLB, another 28 year old minor leaguer who replaced Larrish, another crappy minor leaguer.Avila- rookie catcher not doing much better than his counterpart Gerald ".187" Laird.Worth - another rookie called up recently and has played different spot in the infield and when he is not playing you have Santiago a utility man in his spot. Johnny Damon is available too but he has been nothing short of mediocre. So most nights there are 6 or 7 rookie/career minor leaguers in the lineup. Hence they are now names the Toledo Mud Hens MLB affiliate. lol
understatement of the year?
****ING PIECE OF SHIT MARLINS TRADING THIS GUY AWAY FOR PROSPECTS ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME DO YOU KNOW HOW RARE IT IS TO FIND A GUY WHO HITS OVER .300 AND HITS 30 HOMERUNS YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR GOD DAMN YOU JEFF LORIA FOR RUINING BASEBALL FOR ME WITH YOUR CHEAPNESS YOU FAGGY ART DEALER PIECE OF SHIT.
****ING PIECE OF SHIT MARLINS TRADING THIS GUY AWAY FOR PROSPECTS ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME DO YOU KNOW HOW RARE IT IS TO FIND A GUY WHO HITS OVER .300 AND HITS 30 HOMERUNS YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR GOD DAMN YOU JEFF LORIA FOR RUINING BASEBALL FOR ME WITH YOUR CHEAPNESS YOU FAGGY ART DEALER PIECE OF SHIT.
ya but at least you got rid of Willis...haha
  • 3 weeks later...

Pujols has a pretty legit shot at the triple crown, unless there's somebody hitting like .350 but who doesn't quite have enough at-bats yet. I don't think there is though.

Batista hits 40 and the steroid talk begins. Baseball players will have to deal with this crap everytime someone ordinary has a great season. I REALLY hope hes clean.