• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

Helluva game, it must have been hard to watch that 7th inning as a Tigers fan, but they survived!
I'm not a Tigers fan and most of that game was hard to watch. I was so sure the Yankees were going to pull it out somehow. Every inning. I kind of feel bad for A-Rod though.Things worked out pretty well for Detroit. Verlander only has to pitch one game and he gets to start game one of the ALCS. The schedule would also put Fister pitching games 3 and 7. I think that's a good rotation set-up for them.

Detroit just hit for the cycle in succession:R Raburn singled to left. M Cabrera doubled to left, R Raburn scored. V Martinez tripled to deep right, M Cabrera scored. D Young homered to left, V Martinez scored.Somebody get Elias on that to see if that's ever happened in a playoff game before.

Because it's against the rules. You can't catch a ball with your hat either.
What about your jersey? (I seem to recall a ball bouncing into a player's jersey in the past couple of seasons...though not on the fly.)
What about your jersey? (I seem to recall a ball bouncing into a player's jersey in the past couple of seasons...though not on the fly.)
It doesn't appear that there is a specific rule about it, but the rules seem to indicate that a ball caught in your uniform is simply a live ball. So assuming you can retrieve the ball without it hitting the ground, it would be an out. But, since there is no specific rule about it, this means the umpire can rule in the spirit of the game. So if you rip off your shirt and throw it up to stop a home run, it will probably still be a home run.Here are some funny stories about disappearing baseballs.My favorite: Bates hit a fly ball that sailed about 200 feet in the air over second base. To the amazement of everyone in the park, the ball got stuck in the fuselage of a passing plane. The umpire ruled the stowaway clout a home run using the following logic: "When last seen, the ball was traveling out of the park in fair territory."
It doesn't appear that there is a specific rule about it, but the rules seem to indicate that a ball caught in your uniform is simply a live ball. So assuming you can retrieve the ball without it hitting the ground, it would be an out. But, since there is no specific rule about it, this means the umpire can rule in the spirit of the game. So if you rip off your shirt and throw it up to stop a home run, it will probably still be a home run.Here are some funny stories about disappearing baseballs.My favorite: Bates hit a fly ball that sailed about 200 feet in the air over second base. To the amazement of everyone in the park, the ball got stuck in the fuselage of a passing plane. The umpire ruled the stowaway clout a home run using the following logic: "When last seen, the ball was traveling out of the park in fair territory."
I realize I'm getting really hypothetical here, but let's say a player was diving for a ball on the fly and it went down his jersey, but it "hit the ground" (but through the jersey)...that's an out? It's the same as if he caught it with his body or his glove, yeah? So why can't that apply to his hat?Corollary question...are there rules governing the size of baseball gloves?
I realize I'm getting really hypothetical here, but let's say a player was diving for a ball on the fly and it went down his jersey, but it "hit the ground" (but through the jersey)...that's an out? It's the same as if he caught it with his body or his glove, yeah? So why can't that apply to his hat?Corollary question...are there rules governing the size of baseball gloves?
I don't know the answer to that. If I was an umpire I would rule it as hitting the ground.12 inches.
My favorite:
That's pretty ridiculous. Thanks for the article, I like this one too:The umps had to rely on 9.01-c on August 5, 1956 when Pueblo met Sioux City in a Western League game. Pueblo first baseman Larry Stankey hit a ball that appeared to be leaving the park in fair territory when the lights went out. After a 51-minute delay, the lights were turned on and a search began for the missing baseball that vanished into the night.The umpires ruled it a homer as the ball did not turn up in the park. Sioux City protested the decision but withdrew it since they won the game 7-4.

i think LaRussa should have walked Hamilton in the ninth. you load the bases and set up the double play. i bring the infield in and go home to first on any grounder. this also lets me keep my best reliever in to face mike young. that probably still doesnt keep the lead, but i think you have to set up the double play in an effort to avoid allowing the first run to score and having a runner on third with one out.

Kind of shocked he brought in Arthur Rhodes, who didn't look great facing Hamilton in game 1, although he did eventually get him after nearly walking him. Didn't strike him out though (in game 1). Hamilton has been in a lot of pain at the plate (pulled groin) so I guess that's why TLR didn't walk him (also because LaRussa sucks)? It does seem like the obvious choice though. Have Motte walk Hamilton and then stay on to face Young rather than bringing in Lance "Who?" Lynn. Found myself rooting for Texas, but if Texas had won game 1 I might've found myself rooting for St. Louis tonight - i.e. rooting for a long series.

I realize I'm getting really hypothetical here, but let's say a player was diving for a ball on the fly and it went down his jersey, but it "hit the ground" (but through the jersey)...that's an out? It's the same as if he caught it with his body or his glove, yeah? So why can't that apply to his hat?
It's not an out because it doesn't meet the definition of a catch.A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove ofa ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket orany other part of his uniform in getting possession. It is not a catch, however, ifsimultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player,or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball.It is not a catch if a fielder touches a fly ball which then hits a member of the offensive teamor an umpire and then is caught by another defensive player. In establishing the validity ofthe catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control ofthe ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. If the fielder has madethe catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ballshall be adjudged to have been caught.
i think LaRussa should have walked Hamilton in the ninth. you load the bases and set up the double play. i bring the infield in and go home to first on any grounder. this also lets me keep my best reliever in to face mike young. that probably still doesnt keep the lead, but i think you have to set up the double play in an effort to avoid allowing the first run to score and having a runner on third with one out.
This is what I would've done too.That Rangers 9th inning was amazing. Start it off with a blooper that falls in the middle of three guys; a foot or two in any direction and maybe it's an out. Then he steals a base (against pretty much a perfect throw) by inches where if Furcal just catches it a little deeper he might be out. Then of course, as McCarver mentioned 7,000 times, Andrus advances to 2nd when the outfield throw just tips Pujols's glove. A few inches one way and it sails through clean, a few inches the other way and maybe he catches it. If any one of those things doesn't go their way, the Rangers probably don't win that game.
I was expecting them to do so too, but Hamilton had looked absolutely awful on some swings earlier. With a bad groin, I'd have pitched him low and away, hope for something. I definitely don't put a pitch up high.

i think the way we should look at is this: is it correct to walk Hamilton there no matter who is on deck or how he's been hitting or feeling? i say yes. i dont care if ted williams is on deck, i want to set up the force at home to keep the run from scoring.

It's not an out because it doesn't meet the definition of a catch.A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove ofa ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket orany other part of his uniform in getting possession. It is not a catch, however, ifsimultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player,or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball.It is not a catch if a fielder touches a fly ball which then hits a member of the offensive teamor an umpire and then is caught by another defensive player. In establishing the validity ofthe catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control ofthe ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. If the fielder has madethe catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ballshall be adjudged to have been caught.
What if a fielder caught it with the crook of their elbow? Like they bobble it initially, but it comes to a controlled stop between their arm and body? I'd have to think that'd count as a catch.
What if a fielder caught it with the crook of their elbow?
It's not a catch.
Like they bobble it initially, but it comes to a controlled stop between their arm and body? I'd have to think that'd count as a catch.
A player could keep it "in flight" by using his elbow, but he can't catch with his elbow, because catching is a thing one does with his hand or glove by definition.
A player could keep it "in flight" by using his elbow, but he can't catch with his elbow, because catching is a thing one does with his hand or glove by definition.
His elbow/arm would often have part of his uniform attached...so then couldn't it be ruled that he used his uniform in the catch?
His elbow/arm would often have part of his uniform attached...so then couldn't it be ruled that he used his uniform in the catch?
A player's uniform (as well as parts of his body other than his hand) can be used (usually incidentally) while attempting to make a catch, but cannot be used to make the catch itself.
Touching is not the same as using. If the player could have still made the catch in the same manner naked, he didn't didn't use his uniform; he was just wearing his uniform while making the catch. If (for instance) he made a makeshift basket from the bottom of shirt as one might gather vegetables, that would be using the uniform.