Random Baseball Observations

You really are embarassing yourself. This kind of post was funny the first time. Maybe the second two. The last dozen are just getting sad.
I really enjoyed the sniper/respawning in the same spot analogy. I thought it was perfect.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

Now I am excited to watch baseball. We are moving tomorrow but we are packing up until gametime tonight. Then we have to be done and moved in by gametime tomorrow. Should be a good sports weekend. Tigers and Yankees game 1 and 2, Lions v Cowboys, and I will be at the Wings preseason game on Sunday.

Why oh why did they even start the Yankees/Tigers game? MLB seems to make some of the dumbest decisions possible when it comes to rain. Fucked up both Verlander and CC, which would have been the most exciting pitching match-up in the ALDS. Now who knows when they'll pitch.

"Heck of a game -- it was great," Leyland quipped as he sat down at the podium for questions from the media.
Why oh why did they even start the Yankees/Tigers game? MLB seems to make some of the dumbest decisions possible when it comes to rain. Fucked up both Verlander and CC, which would have been the most exciting pitching match-up in the ALDS. Now who knows when they'll pitch.
Agreed. My question is this, though:Why didn't Leyland or Girardi take a look at the weather report and say, "Hey, maybe I should start a reliever/long-reliever/#4 or #5 starter?" Can you imagine the competitive advantage the Tigers would have had if Leyland had run, say, Brad Penny out there? (<---- I can not believe I just wrote that. On the list of things I never thought I'd say, that is probably in the top 5) Or Phil Coke? Verlander could have either (a) pitched the 3rd-9th innings if the weather was clear or (b) pitched on Saturday. Either way, JV would have been able to start 2 games on normal rest. Instead, he's pitching Game 3, and that's about it. This arrangement screws the Tigers waaay more than the Yankees. The Tigers utilize significantly more platoons than the Yankees; they had a very right-handed lineup tonight against Sabathia. Nova is going tomorrow, and that's bad news for Raburn (100+ OPS platoon split for his career), Inge (~150 OPS platoon split), etc. Now Leyland has to leave them in against a righty (or burn a bench player), which could be very costly. Also, because tomorrow should be nicer, and we're resuming in the Yankees half of the 2nd, the Tigers basically punted 3 outs. Gross.

I'm confused because you didn't call me stupid.EDIT:

Instead, he's pitching Game 3, and that's about it.
That's definitely the biggest problem with this whole debacle. I expect CC will be in the same boat, so we probably will get our Verlander-CC match-up, but only once instead of twice. They're also now playing a night game Saturday and then a day game Sunday, and there will likely be rain delays tomorrow night too, so that game could go on past midnight even though they're already in the 2nd inning. Great scheduling MLB!
You really are embarassing yourself. This kind of post was funny the first time. Maybe the second two. The last dozen are just getting sad.
We should vote. I vote it's getting funnier.Voting is closed.
This arrangement screws the Tigers waaay more than the Yankees. The Tigers utilize significantly more platoons than the Yankees; they had a very right-handed lineup tonight against Sabathia. Nova is going tomorrow, and that's bad news for Raburn (100+ OPS platoon split for his career), Inge (~150 OPS platoon split), etc. Now Leyland has to leave them in against a righty (or burn a bench player), which could be very costly. Also, because tomorrow should be nicer, and we're resuming in the Yankees half of the 2nd, the Tigers basically punted 3 outs. Gross.
What happened to bets on this game? Are all bets off because the game was suspended? Or do they carry forward because the game was only suspended and resumed the next day? That would suck to put a bet on Verlander and have him pitch one inning.
Agreed. My question is this, though:Why didn't Leyland or Girardi take a look at the weather report and say, "Hey, maybe I should start a reliever/long-reliever/#4 or #5 starter?" Can you imagine the competitive advantage the Tigers would have had if Leyland had run, say, Brad Penny out there? (<---- I can not believe I just wrote that. On the list of things I never thought I'd say, that is probably in the top 5) Or Phil Coke? Verlander could have either (a) pitched the 3rd-9th innings if the weather was clear or (b) pitched on Saturday. Either way, JV would have been able to start 2 games on normal rest. Instead, he's pitching Game 3, and that's about it. This arrangement screws the Tigers waaay more than the Yankees. The Tigers utilize significantly more platoons than the Yankees; they had a very right-handed lineup tonight against Sabathia. Nova is going tomorrow, and that's bad news for Raburn (100+ OPS platoon split for his career), Inge (~150 OPS platoon split), etc. Now Leyland has to leave them in against a righty (or burn a bench player), which could be very costly. Also, because tomorrow should be nicer, and we're resuming in the Yankees half of the 2nd, the Tigers basically punted 3 outs. Gross.
I was surprised neither team did that, especially with the short series meaning both teams had perfect guys (Penny? Burnett?) to fill that spot. I remember Overmanager of the Year LaRussa doing the same thing early in the year, to great success. Even if you don't want to 'waste' someone as useful as those guys, surely a Phil Coke/Luis Ayala could've served the purpose. With the other batters having no time to prepare for that pitcher, you'd have to figure you wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage.IMO, the whole rule is kind of dumb. It can only happen if less than 5 innings are played - I think you should be allowed to re-insert guys into the lineup. So Leyland or whoever could have the option of pulling Inge/Raburn against Nova, but maintain the option to re-insert them later. It would be far from perfect, but seems a more reasonable system then forcing a team to use the same lineup the next day against a different pitcher.I disagree on the Tigers punting 3 outs, but that is a minor quibble. People have scored in the rain before.

Hey I remember when that guy was on the Red Sox a year ago! And he hit .321 with 28 homers and we didn't even pretend to try to re-sign him! Yeah I know we got Adrian Gonzalez so there was no room for Beltre (what with Youkilis and all), but still. I'll bet you Beltre doesn't say "It was God's plan" if and when the Rangers get eliminated.

marcum was clearly pissed at the catcher.
I also agree with Le Batard on that one.

Reminds me of a ridiculous question that I've wondered...if an outfielder was going to be unable to catch a HR, could they throw their glove at it to knock it down and keep it in play? (My feeling is that they couldn't.)

Reminds me of a ridiculous question that I've wondered...if an outfielder was going to be unable to catch a HR, could they throw their glove at it to knock it down and keep it in play? (My feeling is that they couldn't.)
Why not?
Because it's against the rules. You can't catch a ball with your hat either.
I was not aware of that. You can catch it bare-handed, but not with your hat? I'm amazed that there are rules so specific to prevent these things. Then I remember it is baseball, and I am no longer surprised.
I was not aware of that. You can catch it bare-handed, but not with your hat? I'm amazed that there are rules so specific to prevent these things. Then I remember it is baseball, and I am no longer surprised.
It's three bases for batted balls and two bases for thrown balls. So let's say there is a runner at 2nd and there is a ground ball hit up the middle. The SS can't throw his glove at the ball to stop it and keep the runner from scoring. It would be a triple for the batter."But wait!" you say, "you should totally do that to prevent a home run!" The umpire can award four bases if he believes the ball would have cleared the fence. And would probably be inclined to err more on the side of the home run than not. But I guess it can't hurt to try. Worst case scenario, you're definitely making Sportscenter.
It's three bases for batted balls and two bases for thrown balls. So let's say there is a runner at 2nd and there is a ground ball hit up the middle. The SS can't throw his glove at the ball to stop it and keep the runner from scoring. It would be a triple for the batter."But wait!" you say, "you should totally do that to prevent a home run!" The umpire can award four bases if he believes the ball would have cleared the fence. And would probably be inclined to err more on the side of the home run than not. But I guess it can't hurt to try. Worst case scenario, you're definitely making Sportscenter.
Amazing. Just when I think baseball can't get any more awesome/ridiculous, someone points out a rule I didn't know.What if a squirrel runs on the field? Can you throw the squirrel to stop the ball? I'd imagine you could argue you were just getting the impediment off the field of play...
Amazing. Just when I think baseball can't get any more awesome/ridiculous, someone points out a rule I didn't know.What if a squirrel runs on the field? Can you throw the squirrel to stop the ball? I'd imagine you could argue you were just getting the impediment off the field of play...
Jimmy Rollins considered it...squirrel_phillies_surge_after_lil_rodent_delays_nlds_game_.jpgNLDS_Phillies_Cardinals_AP111005067322_620x350.jpg