OP takes his post off. Learning a lesson about not posting when you are in a hurry and can not take time to edit. LOLFeeling bad that Teacher Bashing has become such great sport.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem lies in the fact that the government runs the K-12 industry. The reason suburbs have better run schools is not money or even the kids in those schools or their parents' influence, although all of those no doubt help. The reason suburban public schools are so much better than their urban counterparts is because the suburban schools are in competion with each other. Property values go up or down in significant part due to the quality of the school system so neighboring towns school systems are indeed in competition with each other.So many people flee US cities for the suburbs because of crime and education that to a large degree the only parents left in the cities are those rich enough to send their kids to private school and those who are too poor to move to the suburbs. As a result the urban school system is a monopoly. As a monopoly not subject to competition it has no incentive to improve its "goods" but every incentive to protect its monopoly status and every incentive to increase the price for its monopoly goods.Keep public funding for the urban students but sell all the urban schools. Break them down into at least 3 school corporations per city in competion with each other and with other private schools, and give all urban parents the choice to choose from any school that will take their kids. I guarantee the kids will learn more than they do now.There is no reason for a city to own a school. The notion that governments can do well in this area of business (education is big business folks) while totally sucking in all other areas of business is totally absurd.

I am a very hard working teacher from a high performing school in Wisconsin. I work hard teaching my fifth graders day in and day out and getting paid thousands of dollars less than other professionals doing it. I have noticed that you have made small stinging comments about the schools in this country. I think you need to stop and think about the teachers who do there job well and who work hard each day to give the future of this country an education. Are there bad teachers out there? YES! Are there bad schools out there? YES!Are most teachers and schools bad? NO WAY! Most teachers work very hard to give their students a safe positive classroom to learn in. These hard working teachers are getting less and less respect from the public everyday. All it does is drive away the good teachers and allow more so-so teachers to come in to replace them. I have seen it time and time again. Danial- It is a free country and I would die fighting for your right to speak you mind on this or any other issue, but I would hope that in the future you think about how your comments hurt the great teachers out there who go to work each day and do their best to teach the youth of this country.Thanks for making it through this mini rant. LOL
You would think a teacher would know how to spell a common name like Daniel.Sorry - just teasing :wink:
I am a very hard working teacher from a high performing school in Wisconsin. I work hard teaching my fifth graders day in and day out and getting paid thousands of dollars less than other professionals doing it. I have noticed that you have made small stinging comments about the schools in this country. I think you need to stop and think about the teachers who do there job well and who work hard each day to give the future of this country an education. Are there bad teachers out there? YES! Are there bad schools out there? YES!Are most teachers and schools bad? NO WAY! Most teachers work very hard to give their students a safe positive classroom to learn in. These hard working teachers are getting less and less respect from the public everyday. All it does is drive away the good teachers and allow more so-so teachers to come in to replace them. I have seen it time and time again. Danial- It is a free country and I would die fighting for your right to speak you mind on this or any other issue, but I would hope that in the future you think about how your comments hurt the great teachers out there who go to work each day and do their best to teach the youth of this country.Thanks for making it through this mini rant. LOL
You would think a teacher would know how to spell a common name like Daniel.Sorry - just teasing :wink:
also concepts like free speech and the need for an opposing voice on political topics like education spending.
You would think a teacher would know how to spell a common name like Daniel. Sorry - just teasing
I was thinking the same thing. DANIAL. Maybe the school system isnt that great
Maybe she is in DENIAL?

The Public School System does suck in this country, Because of Schooling My parents had to move out of Florida when I was born to Wisconsin. Thank you for making Wisconsin a great place to learn, But my parents were bright enough to send me to a private school anyways so why they didn't stay in Florida I will never know..

I counted three spelling or grammatical errors on my first read through.1) Danial2) "speak you mind"3) "teachers who do there job"Sorry for being a dick... I get a kick out of teachers who can't spell. I'll cut you some slack if you teach phy ed. :wink:
I am a very hard working teacher from a high performing school in Wisconsin. These hard working teachers are getting less and less respect from the public everyday.
You have my respect.
The Public School System does suck in this country, Because of Schooling My parents had to move out of Florida when I was born to Wisconsin. Thank you for making Wisconsin a great place to learn, But my parents were bright enough to send me to a private school anyways so why they didn't stay in Florida I will never know..
Too good for public schools, huh? Guess that's why you're a mod. ;)To the OP: I get the feeling that when DN talks about the school system, he's not talking about the teachers or the students. He's talking about the government. Cutting funding so that people can pay less taxes (Did you see the Madison refferendum results? That's how much of a priority schools are.), the No (rich) Child Left Behind Act, giving kids more tests than anyone should have to take in their lifetime. The government has really messed up the school system. Stop taking offense to his posts - they're not directed at you.
Because of Schooling My parents had to move out of Florida when I was born to Wisconsin.
Why in the world would your parents have to move to Wisconsin from Florida "because of schooling"?
Because of Schooling My parents had to move out of Florida when I was born to Wisconsin.
Why in the world would your parents have to move to Wisconsin from Florida "because of schooling"?
Well, Wisconsin public schools ARE better than most public schools. But, then again, why wouldn't you want to live in Wisconsin?

sniper, that is one big a$$ margarita. My wife drives our daughter 35 minutes each way to goto a Magnet School, because of the poor reputation our local public middle school has. She will be starting 7th grade this summer. However we do have my son who will be starting 1st grade in the public schools, because the elementary system is supposedly superb. I think its an interesting topic, because as parents we make these judgements for our children based on very little knowledge and what knowledge we actually do have is usually twisted by media, gossip, hear-say, etc. Its tough to make right decisions in this day and time, but you can only do the best you can with what information you have.

Uhh... Do some homework there, Check where Florida Schools are overall, and then check Wisconsins.... Done yet? Yeah, there's your answer.
Uhh... Do some homework there, Check where Florida Schools are overall, and then check Wisconsins.... Done yet? Yeah, there's your answer.
Why so snide? I'm sure lots of people would like their kids to go to better schools but can't take up stakes and move halfway across the country. I think an appropriate use of "had to" is:We had to evacuate Miami because of the hurricane.

Because too some people, Education is important enough to move for. They had family here as well, but said they would have moved either way to somewhere else because of the education.by the way.. they didnt leave for hurricanes but they did for education... It was worse too them, mine as well throw me in a hurricane rather than send me to school in Florida. Honestly, I know I wouldn't have made it through highschool down there.

I think what the guy was trying to say is that while the Florida schools in general are worse than Wisconsins, there was probably a good school somewhere in Florida you could attend.I live in Houston where the schools arent that great, but there are some good schools here. I mean the nearest good public school isnt 2000 miles away.I dont think your parents moved to Wisconsin ONLY because of schooling. I'm sure there were other factors involved.
I think what is funny is in the same article Daniel refers to himself as a slave and people are offended by the school reference.
I agree, I think it's hilarious. I think he was half-kidding and obviously meant no offense, but it still comes from somewhere. If he can at all equate playing poker for $25,000 with slave labor Daniel has lost any concept of reality. Again, it may have been mostly sarcasm, but the thought obviously went through his head, which is insane.I guess it's all relative.

I done got edjacated in publick skools in Minnisoda.I thinc thay are the bestest in the kuntry.I presheate all my teechers did 4 me.