woah. I missed a call from a number I didn't recognize a few minutes ago. No message. So I hop on yellowpages.ca and do a reverse phone number lookup. It doesn't find the number in my area code, but for some reason locates a person in the 905 area code with the same number. That person? J Campbell, in Newmarket, Ontario.I don't think Jay's last name is Campbell, but that is still pretty weird.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woah. I missed a call from a number I didn't recognize a few minutes ago. No message. So I hop on yellowpages.ca and do a reverse phone number lookup. It doesn't find the number in my area code, but for some reason locates a person in the 905 area code with the same number. That person? J Campbell, in Newmarket, Ontario.I don't think Jay's last name is Campbell, but that is still pretty weird.
its jamie campbell from sportsnet

I think that it's too late to change the rules at this point (it seems that everyone has come to this point). Allowing owners to move their prospects to the farm would be a huge change.We really don't have that many bench spots since we have no DL slots. When your players start to get injured and you have a bunch of prospects sitting on your roster, you will be at a disadvantage. You basically forfeit an edge in the present for an edge in the future.Also, at most you'll have five years after this year to keep your prospect before he goes back into the free agent pool. So you many only reap a few good years out of a prospect. Now on the plus side you get to keep the guy at a very low five year salary since they will not ring up almost any stats or no stats this year.You can tell that different teams are running different strategies, so it'll be fun to see what happens in the short and long term. By the way, I thought seriously about taking Yadier, Peralta or Furcal so it's funny to see them all go off the board right after I picked.

OK, here goes.....!I wasn't able to follow this thread at work. OK, that's a lie. I can follow the thread, but I can't log in and post, and my phone only shows about 5 posts per page and it can be slow to load since I'm in a factory and get close to zero reception. My point is, I've seen all the posts about prospects being picked, and I agree it's getting out of hand, (I've gone off the board the most by picking someone who isn't even MLB drafted yet although the rest of my players will be on an MLB roster come opening day) but it's something we have to live with. It's not an issue that we can change at this point of the draft.My thoughts on Bryce Harper. He's going 1st overall this June to Washington, and while he won't play this year, or probably next year, I believe he'll be the Nats starting catcher in 2012 because he's good, and they'll want to put butts in the seats. That will be his 2nd year of a 5 year contract with me. He won't be lights out then, or in 2013, but in 2014 and 2015, I expect to have a Mauer like catcher signed for $1.50, which is pretty good. Considering the way prospects were flying off the board (before I left for work I saw Stanton, Alvarez, Smoak, Montero) I knew someone would grab him before the May draft, and I wanted to make sure that someone was me. Even if he lasted until the May draft, Andre probably wouldve grabbed him with his first pick. I have no regrets about making the pick.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Another issue I wanted to bring up. Prospects are going to HAVE to get picked in this draft. Here's why:16 NL teams with 8 starting hitters = 128 starters14 AL teams with 9 starting hitters = 126 starters30 MLB teams have 254 starting hitters.We have 12 of us with 26 man rosters. Only 2 of those spots are for pitching teams which means we need to fill 24 spots with hitters. 12 teams with 24 hitters = 288 hitters.We'll have no choice but to grab bench players and platoon players at some point since we aren't drafting pitchers. It's understandable that guys would rather fill a bench spot with a decent prospect instead of John MacDonald. I think the problem was too many starting positions. It's looking as though something like C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, OF, OF, OF, UTIL would have worked better, and since most of those guys you draft there will play everyday, 5 or 6 bench spots would be enough to cover injuries and general suckiness/rotation.Live and learn, it is what it is. We knew that this was a trial league, with the intentions/hopes of being a keeper in the 1st year. I still think it can, but we may need to tweak the starting positions for next year, and limit the roster size to 20 or so. There's nothing wrong with change. There's no way we could have created a perfect league right out of the chute. But if we make changes, we're going to have to AGREE as a league.Also, Danny, that wasn't me who called you tonight. You had me as a friend on facebook until you took me off. You know my last name.

Also, Danny, that wasn't me who called you tonight. You had me as a friend on facebook until you took me off. You know my last name.
Hm, good point. I forget it, but I'd have remembered Campbell.Excellent point about the number of hitters. I think we're going overboard with prospects - hell, Dejesus will probably be better than 80% of the prospects taken so far, and John gets him right away with a starting spot!But, like Jay says - he might have a top-5 catcher in 2013-2014, signed for $1.50. Imagine if I had Mauer signed for two years, at $1.50...his trade value would be enormous.

Question: Is anyone updating the yahoo site?I ask, because thats where Im going to see who is left, and I keep finding a name, but Im pretty sure they are taken.Anyway, Im gonna pick Mike Cameron, hopefully he isnt taken.

Question: Is anyone updating the yahoo site?I ask, because thats where Im going to see who is left, and I keep finding a name, but Im pretty sure they are taken.Anyway, Im gonna pick Mike Cameron, hopefully he isn't taken.
No I can't update the yahoo site. Once the draft was over that was it, I can't add players. I did move all auction draft rosters over to the new yahoo site and have that completely updated up to your 18th round pick. But until I hit the "Done" button it won't update the players listing because, well it just won't. I am keeping a pretty close eye on the draft to make sure no doubles are taken and I can immediately let the person know.Regarding other things...nm.
My pick is in:Sean Rodriguez - 2b - Tampa BayAlso, 1st trade in fcpbl history, posted in trades forum.
Except that you can't trade till after the draft. :club:
Except that you can't trade till after the draft. :club:
Oops! OK, consider this an NBA off season type trade where deals are announced but don't take effect until July 10 or whatever the day is.Steve, as for the Yahoo site, you can click "done", which will allow all our players to show on our team pages, which can make it easier for us to see what positions we still need to fill. At that point you can either:1. Lock all managers from adding players and you can submit them to our roster as each pick is made.2. Just allow us to pick up players through Yahoo, and post the pick at the FCPBL site. I'm pretty sure everyone here is trustworthy enough that we aren't going to grab every single player in one shot.Just some suggestions my friend. Keep up the great work! And thanks so much for last night!
Oops! OK, consider this an NBA off season type trade where deals are announced but don't take effect until July 10 or whatever the day is.Steve, as for the Yahoo site, you can click "done", which will allow all our players to show on our team pages, which can make it easier for us to see what positions we still need to fill. At that point you can either:1. Lock all managers from adding players and you can submit them to our roster as each pick is made.2. Just allow us to pick up players through Yahoo, and post the pick at the FCPBL site. I'm pretty sure everyone here is trustworthy enough that we aren't going to grab every single player in one shot.Just some suggestions my friend. Keep up the great work! And thanks so much for last night!
Nice.Well that was easy. Wish I knew that before!lolWell people can now add their picks to the league on yahoo but also post them up at FCPBL so I can use it to adjust cap issues on team pages. Notes: I picked a pitcher from your selected teams. Maybe not the best one, but you get the point. Newmarket Hurricanes and Musky Muskrats are going to be short one player due to drafting players not listed in yahoo but will be reflected on the leagues spreadsheets that Adam is working on.
Nice.Well that was easy. Wish I knew that before!lolWell people can now add their picks to the league on yahoo but also post them up at FCPBL so I can use it to adjust cap issues on team pages. Notes: I picked a pitcher from your selected teams. Maybe not the best one, but you get the point. Newmarket Hurricanes and Musky Muskrats are going to be short one player due to drafting players not listed in yahoo but will be reflected on the leagues spreadsheets that Adam is working on.
so the correct rosters+free agents are in the 2nd league?thanks as always for the work Steve.

Big trade! I like the Howard side better, but it could go either way I suppose. Depends on the re-sign values.I'm torn for my next picks. I really wanted to take a real starter or two, but I have 2 starting guys I really want to take and 3 prospects. I think the starting guys are much more likely to be around for the next round than the starters.Tough choice...

so the correct rosters+free agents are in the 2nd league?thanks as always for the work Steve.
Now they are except for Matt's latest pick. Matt go add your pick to your team at the yahoo page (573364) ( i want to make sure it works!)

When I tried picking up Chase Headley the guy I drafted I get Waiver 1 - Apr 9: Chase Headley - [Cancel Waiver]on my roster page

When I tried picking up Chase Headley the guy I drafted I get Waiver 1 - Apr 9: Chase Headley - [Cancel Waiver]on my roster page
yeah cancel the waiver and try again. I forgot to set it to no waivers.

The players are all showing on waivers. I'm not sure if you can fix that, so you may still need to add them one by one for the time being. Also, Sandoval should be on Danny's roster.Thanks Steve!

Ok, I will continue to add players to teams. PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR TEAM AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYONE I added Headly to Matts teams and Sandoval to Danny's.So continue to post your pick the normal way but now you can use yahoo to see what players are available.

but for some reason locates a person in the 905 area code with the same number. That person? J Campbell , in Newmarket, Ontario.
whoa, thats me!that little joke made me think of this that I never commented on..........
Andre's pick, Jay's pick and Nick's pick are all up!Steve is on the clock, the John and Adam. Wow, we all have very common names.
you sure about that?
you sure about that?
Heh.My pick is up - Dale, then Serge.I'm hoping for big things from Francoeur. I took him over prospects I love, he better not hit .230 again!Steve - When I tried to add him, it said "Action locked by commissioner"