It's so hard to judge who is best of all time because each season has a different mix. Strategies that work some season are total losers in others. Ethan the soccer player, to me, seems unlikely to win in any season except his own. He just hung around being nice. That rarely works.Right now I would put Russell, Boston Rob, and Parvati in the top three, although I don't know the order. Before this season I wouldn't have put Parvati up there, but she seems to be the most adaptable player of all time, and each time shows a quiet knack for the game. Russell is most dominant but could probably never win, ever. Boston Rob seems to have the best combination of dominance and understanding of the situation, and has run into bad luck.Yau-man is one of my favorites, and really seemed to be a step ahead of everyone in his season.Ozzie was an animal, but I doubt that he has the strategy skills to win in most seasons.Richard Hatch has to be up there too, and I'd be really curious to see how he'd do now that he'd be up against people who have seen the game before. He was dominant, but it was against idiots who thought it was a fun camping trip.Fireman Tom on his first season was amazing, not so much this season.And I have to reluctantly add Sandra to the list. I hate the way she plays, I hate her personality, but she knows the game and has a good sense for when to make a move and when to sit back. Amanda is another person I'd have to reluctantly include -- I personally really dislike her, but she seems to know the game.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so hard to judge who is best of all time because each season has a different mix. Strategies that work some season are total losers in others. Ethan the soccer player, to me, seems unlikely to win in any season except his own. He just hung around being nice. That rarely works.Right now I would put Russell, Boston Rob, and Parvati in the top three, although I don't know the order. Before this season I wouldn't have put Parvati up there, but she seems to be the most adaptable player of all time, and each time shows a quiet knack for the game. Russell is most dominant but could probably never win, ever. Boston Rob seems to have the best combination of dominance and understanding of the situation, and has run into bad luck.Yau-man is one of my favorites, and really seemed to be a step ahead of everyone in his season.Ozzie was an animal, but I doubt that he has the strategy skills to win in most seasons.Richard Hatch has to be up there too, and I'd be really curious to see how he'd do now that he'd be up against people who have seen the game before. He was dominant, but it was against idiots who thought it was a fun camping trip.Fireman Tom on his first season was amazing, not so much this season.And I have to reluctantly add Sandra to the list. I hate the way she plays, I hate her personality, but she knows the game and has a good sense for when to make a move and when to sit back. Amanda is another person I'd have to reluctantly include -- I personally really dislike her, but she seems to know the game.
I agree with most of this, except for two glaring things. I thought Fireman Tom was good this season as well. He's a very good all-around player. I would never include Amanda in the discussion. She's almost worthless in my mind. If Parv could read her that easily, it's a glaring issue when talking "best ever". Also, she is always whining about this or that, I can't stand that. I think to include her in the discussion is being way too results oriented.
It's so hard to judge who is best of all time because each season has a different mix. Strategies that work some season are total losers in others. Ethan the soccer player, to me, seems unlikely to win in any season except his own. He just hung around being nice. That rarely works.
I think that's the key right there. It's difficult to rank players in a top 10 when some seasons had no hidden idols, others had exile island, others had hidden idols every week.Personally I think Exile Island brought out the best of both worlds, I think it forced more strategy in to the game. It mattered who got sent to the island, usually only those with brains and physical strength could find the idols.It forced immunity challenges to be worthy because most weeks hidden idols wern't played. This season there is what 6 left? No one even cares about immunity, how many sat out for a snack this week? 3 or 4. Lame.It also added fake idols from strategic players (Even Ozzy made a stick that was played as a real idol - Awesome!). Remember the old guy Bob who won his season (think looshle who had my bottom pick). That guy was insanely good at creating fake idols, it made him a millionaire.
I think that's the key right there. It's difficult to rank players in a top 10 when some seasons had no hidden idols, others had exile island, others had hidden idols every week.Personally I think Exile Island brought out the best of both worlds, I think it forced more strategy in to the game. It mattered who got sent to the island, usually only those with brains and physical strength could find the idols.It forced immunity challenges to be worthy because most weeks hidden idols wern't played. This season there is what 6 left? No one even cares about immunity, how many sat out for a snack this week? 3 or 4. Lame.It also added fake idols from strategic players (Even Ozzy made a stick that was played as a real idol - Awesome!). Remember the old guy Bob who won his season (think looshle who had my bottom pick). That guy was insanely good at creating fake idols, it made him a millionaire.
Fake idols could just as easily be made this season with someone really good, like Bob. But I agree, exile was good.
Fake idols could just as easily be made this season with someone really good, like Bob. But I agree, exile was good.
I disagree, maybe early on when no one knew what they looked like but since the same idol is seen every week it makes it pretty tough to fake it. Rupert's rock in the pocket is probably as close as we'll get.

It's all about the packaging. You can fool a lot of people with the correct presentation.

It's all about the packaging. You can fool a lot of people with the correct presentation.
I guess so, if a really stupid person finds it. I just think with Exile the idols were so much more mysterious, no one was really sure what they looked like so anything was possible.

Anyone remember Tom from Africa that got voted out like 4th? He was pretty awesome. Also, they should go back to a place like that. The Island theme has to be getting old.

There is a lotta luck that goes with Survivor. As they say in poker "results don't matter." Boston Rob gets past ONE more tribal in Marquesas he wins. Tyson doesn't go crazy and he gets past ONE more vote this season Rob has a great chance to win. If the jury in the original all star season was not bat-shit crazy Rob should have won. Results do not factor in my decision for best survivor ever.I'm not saying that Parvati and Russell are not some of the best, but when I think of what makes a great Survivor, Boston Rob comes out the clear winner for me.
You forgot the biggest piece of luck in survivor history. In the first season, Greg had them choose a number between 1 and 10 (Rich said 7; Kelly 3).Richard Hatch became Survivor's first millionaire by a vote of 4–3.
Anyone remember Tom from Africa that got voted out like 4th? He was pretty awesome. Also, they should go back to a place like that. The Island theme has to be getting old.
It is pretty repetitive, but I think they've stuck with it because Africa was one of the most boring seasons ever IMO.
It is pretty repetitive, but I think they've stuck with it because Africa was one of the most boring seasons ever IMO.
The islands seem to be the easiest because they can also have all the ocean/whale shots every time they open a scene from a commercial. There is only so much they can do with alligatiors and such when they are next to a river.I thought the season coach was on (I think in Brazil) was pretty cool. But Africa can't be done again because everyone was literally suffering out there. When I was in high school Lex came and talked about how a lot of the contestants including himself had harmful parasites in their body after the season.I really don't think Africa was boring at all though. I'm suprised that so many people in here didn't like it. There were a lot of great characters. Seasons 4 and 5 were pretty boring, I liked Africa.

Africa was great, and totally unique. However I do agree that Tocantins is what I'd like to call myself, a "much upgraded version of Africa."

Just because........Boston Rob stats:Survivor: Marquesas he was voted out 7/16 contestants. Survivor: All-Stars he was voted out 2nd/18 contestants but then married the first place finisher. Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains he was voted out 8/20 contestants. Are these numbers really enough to launch him to the status of best survivor in the history of the show? Probably not but I couldn't make an argument for anyone else except maybe Russell. They're both entertaining personalities that take the gamesmanship to another level.
his stats should also include the fact he save Amber from elimination. They did a mixing up of tribes which screwed up the alliances. He then made a deal to save Amber while not even on the same tribe. tremendous

Re: Best of all time...I don't think WHEN you get voted out or whether or not you won the season is all that should be looked at. I think Rob rates higher than his vote outs indicate because he got ousted by people who ganged up on him, because they perceived him as a threat and rightly so.Other Rob +'s: He made fire out of NOTHINGHe totally dominated most challenges he was in this season and, as far as I know, did well in the other seasons.On another front, Parvvati is now the person who has lasted the most days overall. Certainly some weight should be given to that, if anyone is arguing Parv is one of the best.I'm still a huge fan of Russell, thug, even though he's gooing all Colonel Kurtz in the jungle. If he had a better social game, then he'd be my #1 for sure, but he does poorly at that aspect, which bumps him out of first, imo.

Guys, Brazil was just like 2 seasons ago. That was no where near an ocean.

I think everyone could make compelling arguments for Russell and Rob as the best ever, but I have to ask myself a few questions.If Russell was in Robs position and everyone know him from previous seasons would he have made it past the 1st few episodes?If you placed Russell in a season of survivor with NO immunity idols would his stock rise or fall or remain the same?I absolutely hated Russell last season and was blinded to how good he was. This season I appreciate what he has done, although no one else knows him and it has given him a slight advantage in that aspect. He creates chaos like no one else ever has and that alone could put him in the top 10. I wish I had a better memory, but it seems to me he has broken up the most alliances ever.They are different era players, the rules have been changed and I think Rob has adapted better to the new rules then Russell would have if they were swapped. I guess thats how I merit Rob as the best ever.

As it stands, Rob only went far in one season, and he was cunning in it, but had the alliance and screwed a lot of people over. It was obvious by the end Amber was going to win, as she merely stood by his side. Out early on in the other two kinda strikes against you, and also while Rob has been better at physical challenges, Russell's strategies that he has used is simply better than all. Like I've said before, Survivor is "Outwit, Outplay, Outlast" in which Russell has done all three both times, to the utmost that he can. Outwit, DEFINITELY Russell. Outplay, by FAR Russell. Outlast, once again Russell.Yeah Rob's done some things to make him look good at camping, but it's not a camping trip/boot camp. This is the game of Survivor, and enter its ringleader the past two seasons, Russell Hantz. He's second to none. He is THE BEST player to ever play this game. (*Note: In a game with idols which he came into, he obviously can't play without them, so he's going to use them to full effect. I could definitely see him being yet again the best in every other season. Oh, and with the situation he had in Foa Foa? For him to completely outwit the other tribe into voting out their own members and for him to read every situation.. he is BY FAR the best. He had to protect FOUR people, not just himself. In the end out of 12 in a merged tribe, all three were from Foa Foa. Now THAT shows someone who truly is great at the game.)_____________Also, do remember that Russell is playing back-to-back filmed seasons of Survivor. He's lasted somewhat near over two months in probably a three-month span or so out there. He's physically worn down, but definitely not emotional. Eyes on the prize.

By the time that the Finale of Season 19 was filmed, this season was also already in the can. All that remains is the Finale of Heroes & Villains. Judging by Russell's emotion of losing Season 19, I am guessing he doesn't make the Final Three this Season. I also believe he (like many fans) he expected to win last Season. Interesting to think he was playing Heroes & Villains with the previous Season still unresolved - perhaps thinking he had likely won it. H&V might be a bit of a Freeroll in his mind.

One thing is an absolute fact, if Russell's season had aired he would have already been gone because everyone would have known how much of a snake he was up front. Since no one had seen him play he had a HUGE advantage this season that definitely would not have been there had he not played back to back seasons. His last few facebook posts make me laugh though ...Russell Hantz You dont have to respect me as a person but you have to respect my game!! By the way in real live im not so bad :)Friday at 1:28pmRussell Hantz Can't wait til the live show. Good luck to everyone involved.7 hours ago via Facebook for iPhone

As it stands, Rob only went far in one season, and he was cunning in it, but had the alliance and screwed a lot of people over. It was obvious by the end Amber was going to win, as she merely stood by his side. Out early on in the other two kinda strikes against you, and also while Rob has been better at physical challenges, Russell's strategies that he has used is simply better than all. Like I've said before, Survivor is "Outwit, Outplay, Outlast" in which Russell has done all three both times, to the utmost that he can. Outwit, DEFINITELY Russell. Outplay, by FAR Russell. Outlast, once again Russell.
Again, you can't look at results when it comes to Rob. He owned Marquesas, he weeded out every single physical threat in his tribe, everyone looked up to him, he was the boss. When it came to the merge his tribe was low in numbers, so he worked on 2 people from the other tribe telling them that they were not going to make it to the end in their own alliance. Anyways they vote out Rob, and that night after tribal council those two idiots (I think it was a blond girl and old guy) finally were convinced by Rob's words AFTER they vote out Rob. If Rob survives one more tribal council he wins.In All-Stars it says that Amber won, but cmon Rob really won. Rob wasn't anywhere near as cutthroat as Russell has been, but he was stuck with the lamest jury in survivor history. Go look at that on youtube it is fun to watch, everyone was crying, everyone had something horrible to say, it was just ridiculous. Rob completely owned a group of people who have all played the game before.This season like his first season Rob puts himself in a great spot with a good alliance, one bonehead screws everything up, and Rob probably wins if he survives one more tribal council.I'm still not saying that I'm completely correct by saying Rob is better than Russell, I just don't agree with your reasoning as to why Rob is not as good. I think Rob has outwitted and outplayed, and not outlasted solely based on luck.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/vote/Vote for Dumbest Survivor Move Ever.To me it is Erik winning immunity, giving it away and then getting voted off, but you make the choice, includes little 30 - 45 second video recaps, loool
Those are fun to watch, even knowing what's coming. One of the best lines in Survivor ever, on Erik's clip: "Who would fall for that?!?"

I can't even continue to argue that point, because it's obvious Russell has done both better, or else Rob would have still been here if he did it better. He still had chances after that too but Russell had convinced Coach & Jerri to jump. I'm not saying Rob's bad at all either. He's really, really good. Russell's just always been two steps ahead of everyone, although you can tell this season he does have quite a bit of wear and tear on him for doing back to back seasons.Also to clarify since I know I already have at least twice in this thread, the producers told all of the survivors coming into the game that Russell is "one of the top five most notorious people to ever play the game." With common sense, he's OBVIOUSLY a cunning strategist and will stab you in the back. Plus he's on the villains. It's not that damn hard to figure out.