F C P Golf Outing Cancelled ... Unless Someone Can Step In?

I have had some pretty bad news that will make it impossible for me to commit to the outing (and poker) this year.My stepmother was diagnosed with terminal cancer this Saturday, completely out of the blue. Lungs liver and brain. It's a stunner and I am numb and a bit of a rambling in denial mess. She had no symptoms at all...and then...BAM. It's just amazing. She has 3 months to live, give or take. She was a high ranking nurse for years and only recently became a physicians assistant, and knows all too well what she is up against. She is a super smart woman and has already pretty stated that she will not endure the hell that is chemo. My Dad is losing it obv. He is older than her (78 vs. 68) and truth be told we were preparing to have to deal with something like this to happen to him, not her. He has had multiple heart by-passes and when she passes he will need 100% of our attention and will most likely be moving from Sarasota out West here with us, or one of our family. But getting back to the FCP outing, TIME for me is the main issue here. I will need maximum vacation days available from work. I plan on traveling to Florida as much as possible to help my Dad get thru this, he has no family there other than his wife. He is alone. To make matters worse it is time off from a job that already has a the layoff gun to everyones head there. But that is the least of my concerns.Needless to say right now the last thing I care about is the golf. But I feel like I would be letting folks down by not explaining the situation, and asking if anyone would like to step up and take it over this year.No money has been put down yet or contracts signed, only verbal commitments and penciled in tee times. Contracts were being drawn up but are now on hold. I am deeply sorry for all of this but I really have no choice here. I need to be able to move at a moments notice and have the time to do it.Let me know if someone wants to take over, otherwise...maybe next year?Again, my deepest appologies to all.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish you and your father the best. For your stepmother the quickest, and least painful exit possible. Lean on her for some strength, it sounds like she has a good grip on this. As good as possible obv. You can reflect on a lot of great times in 3 months.

God bless you and your family, Scott. Times like these are when families need one another the most. There will be plenty of other times for golfing and get togethers, please do not worry about it one bit. Everyone appreciates how much you've done already. Be with your family and if there is anything you need, let me know.

Wish you and your father the best. For your stepmother the quickest, and least painful exit possible. Lean on her for some strength, it sounds like she has a good grip on this. As good as possible obv. You can reflect on a lot of great times in 3 months.
I have had some pretty bad news that will make it impossible for me to commit to the outing (and poker) this year.My stepmother was diagnosed with terminal cancer this Saturday, completely out of the blue. Lungs liver and brain. It's a stunner and I am numb and a bit of a rambling in denial mess. She had no symptoms at all...and then...BAM. It's just amazing. She has 3 months to live, give or take. She was a high ranking nurse for years and only recently became a physicians assistant, and knows all too well what she is up against. She is a super smart woman and has already pretty stated that she will not endure the hell that is chemo. My Dad is losing it obv. He is older than her (78 vs. 68) and truth be told we were preparing to have to deal with something like this to happen to him, not her. He has had multiple heart by-passes and when she passes he will need 100% of our attention and will most likely be moving from Sarasota out West here with us, or one of our family. But getting back to the FCP outing, TIME for me is the main issue here. I will need maximum vacation days available from work. I plan on traveling to Florida as much as possible to help my Dad get thru this, he has no family there other than his wife. He is alone. To make matters worse it is time off from a job that already has a the layoff gun to everyones head there. But that is the least of my concerns.Needless to say right now the last thing I care about is the golf. But I feel like I would be letting folks down by not explaining the situation, and asking if anyone would like to step up and take it over this year.No money has been put down yet or contracts signed, only verbal commitments and penciled in tee times. Contracts were being drawn up but are now on hold. I am deeply sorry for all of this but I really have no choice here. I need to be able to move at a moments notice and have the time to do it.Let me know if someone wants to take over, otherwise...maybe next year?Again, my deepest appologies to all.
No need to apologize. I wish you and your family the best getting through these tough times.
All the best to you in this difficult time. Nice of you to post, but you are obviously doing the right thing taking care of your family.
QFT