Ripleys Believe It Or Not!

RDog, I am not saying to quit giving advice and I could careless if you pound on the way I played a hand. I just think it is unnecessary to call someone stupid or a retard when giving advice to people you don't know. You know what you are doing and you have some great insight - your results speak for themselves. Again I am just talking about the way you come across when giving info to complete strangers who play some hands.Who ever said I enjoy losing money or that I actually do lose money playing poker? Couldn't be further from the truth.If you want to consider yourself a "professional" then maybe you should act in a professional manner towards other people.I'm not going to sit here and kiss your ass like most the others do here. We will just agree to disagree.
Cliffnotes:-You want him to give free advice-You want him to change his way of doing it to suit youNicelife.net
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliffnotes:-You want him to give free advice-You want him to change his way of doing it to suit youNicelife.net
I don't care if he gives free advice or not, it is his choice. So this "want" that you speak of, pertaining to him giving free advice, does not exist. I know that plenty of people here have learned and continue to learn from him. What I meant was it would be silly to leave the forum because some people don't like the way he comes across when posting.
that's really not at all what cbass was sayingI have argued with Rdog about this before, and I have kind of come around to his way of thinking. He is abrasive when he posts and argues, but that is his prerogative. The truth is that people who don't like it, including me, can disregard it. That being said, I think it is fairly preposterous for Rdog to think that because he is giving advice no one will take offense to his insulting people. As I said before, I realize that I was wrong to ever suggest that Rdog not be abrasive, but I don't understand why he is upset at people being offended by it.It is not that you should pat people on the ass when giving advice, but you certainly don't have to call them a "retard." And if you are going to resort to an ad hominem attack to prove your point, then you might expect some resistance to your advice. In other words give advice if you want, or don't, and do it in the manner that you want to, that is your right..... but don't expect everyone to just be grateful. The truth is that RDog is one of the forum's long standing, respected and successful members. I acknowledge that and I think the advice that he gives is an asset to the forum. I just don't think it is out of line for people that have been insulted by him (not criticized harshly, but plain insulted) to be expected to not care. As for the rest of the posts in this thread, it appears to be a lot of pettiness in both ways, but the point remains: DM did something foolish, it worked out, Rdog pointed out it was foolish, but did so abrasively, people got offended. It probably wasn't worth 150+ posts, but it was entertaining.

I find it funny that so many people not named DM are so up in arms about what I said. LOL, from my interaction with him, he isn't offended at all. It's not like in my normal interaction with people that I regularly insult someone without any advice whatsoever. It takes something like this for me to just say it how I see it. Sure, most of the time I am blunt and to the point but you won't find more than 20 posts (probably much less but I'm old and my memory sucks) that I have ever made that are directly insulting someone and not giving them advice. To make these blanket statements like any time someone does something I don't agree with or think is incorrect and act like I react this way all the time is ludicrous. I guess none of you ever read a post and think "wow, what an idiot" (for many of you, probably some of my posts)? The difference is, I actually say it. And it pretty never has nothing to do with their intelligence and more to do with their lack of self control, etc. Probably a fault I guess since some people will continue to get offended over stuff like that.

I find it funny that so many people not named DM are so up in arms about what I said. LOL, from my interaction with him, he isn't offended at all. It's not like in my normal interaction with people that I regularly insult someone without any advice whatsoever. It takes something like this for me to just say it how I see it. Sure, most of the time I am blunt and to the point but you won't find more than 20 posts (probably much less but I'm old and my memory sucks) that I have ever made that are directly insulting someone and not giving them advice. To make these blanket statements like any time someone does something I don't agree with or think is incorrect and act like I react this way all the time is ludicrous. I guess none of you ever read a post and think "wow, what an idiot" (for many of you, probably some of my posts)? The difference is, I actually say it. And it pretty never has nothing to do with their intelligence and more to do with their lack of self control, etc. Probably a fault I guess since some people will continue to get offended over stuff like that.
I will say, lest my previous post be misconstrued, that you have nearly 11000 posts and so it seems quite likely that it is merely a miniscule, albeit noticeable, portion that are offensive.

I've learned 4 things here:-- Some people that have not had long term success at poker or do not take the game seriously are offended by the way RDog's posts. (If you win when you play, but don't have bankroll management, you haven't had success and don't have skill, by the way. They aren't mutually exclusive.)-- No one that has had long term success has any problem with the way RDog posts.-- If you are one of the above people, you are apparently considered part of his clique or are kissing his ass. -- Of Pivvy's 250 posts, about half of them are several paragraph mantras about a various highly successful members here and why they are a douches.Some people are just more passionate about things than others. Think of the NNB's, RDog's, Snamuh's, vtlaxer's, cubsfan44's, looshle's, etc etc etc of the forum. A lot of people don't like them, and some of them don't even like each other on a personal level, but I guarantee they all respect what the other has accomplished. They are all passionate and "put it all out there". Then there are a ton of other winning or hard working players that are more laid back and would rather not even bother with e-nonsense. They think people are stupid too, trust me, but just keep their mouth shut. That's fine too. People are different.Yeah, there's the Fluffdogs of the world that don't post any advice and don't help anyone, but are SUPER nice people so are respected a ton. How much has Fluffdog helped any of your poker games recently? If I wanted a friendly meet and greet I'd be in a Yahoo chat room or something. In the meantime, give me the blunt criticism all day long. If you are too stubborn to listen, too sensitive to take it, or simply don't care about playing seriously, that's your business. Please let those of us that do continue to act accoringly.

I've learned 4 things here:-- Some people that have not had long term success at poker or do not take the game seriously are offended by the way RDog's posts. (If you win when you play, but don't have bankroll management, you haven't had success and don't have skill, by the way. They aren't mutually exclusive.)-- No one that has had long term success has any problem with the way RDog posts.-- If you are one of the above people, you are apparently considered part of his clique or are kissing his ass. -- Of Pivvy's 250 posts, about half of them are several paragraph mantras about a various highly successful members here and why they are a douches.Some people are just more passionate about things than others. Think of the NNB's, RDog's, Snamuh's, vtlaxer's, cubsfan44's, looshle's, etc etc etc of the forum. A lot of people don't like them, and some of them don't even like each other on a personal level, but I guarantee they all respect what the other has accomplished. They are all passionate and "put it all out there". Then there are a ton of other winning or hard working players that are more laid back and would rather not even bother with e-nonsense. They think people are stupid too, trust me, but just keep their mouth shut. That's fine too. People are different.Yeah, there's the Fluffdogs of the world that don't post any advice and don't help anyone, but are SUPER nice people so are respected a ton. How much has Fluffdog helped any of your poker games recently? If I wanted a friendly meet and greet I'd be in a Yahoo chat room or something. In the meantime, give me the blunt criticism all day long. If you are too stubborn to listen, too sensitive to take it, or simply don't care about playing seriously, that's your business. Please let those of us that do continue to act accoringly.
I have commented on two long-term members - RDog and Steve. On both occassions there has been substantial agreement. Perhaps there is a reason for that. My last post was not calling RDog a douche. I was calling him blunt but suggesting that if he is going to be blunt he should expect people to be offended. I think many things you post are stupid (such as a 35,000 hand challenge that caused you to play a ton of hands in -EV conditions, and, while it worked out well over one month, is unlikely to be beneficial long-term). By calling things you post stupid, I would expect some response. Respond away.The fact that RDog believes he should be immune to criticism after calling someone a retard is ludicrous. Give advice and contribute but don't be surprised if people don't like it.Also, I am constantly amazed by the number of people that post on here that correlate success with poker and bankroll management. There are tons of successful posters who just don't take poker that seriously and play for fun. I play strictly for fun and if I go to the boat and drop a few hundred so be it. That is my night's entertainment. Long term I am a very slight winner. But I play stakes that are enjoyable for me even if giving up an edge. I am aware of this. I know you think it makes me a fish. But if I am going to sacrifice personal time to play I might as well enjoy it.
I have commented on two long-term members - RDog and Steve. On both occassions there has been substantial agreement. Perhaps there is a reason for that. My last post was not calling RDog a douche. I was calling him blunt but suggesting that if he is going to be blunt he should expect people to be offended. I think many things you post are stupid (such as a 35,000 hand challenge that caused you to play a ton of hands in -EV conditions, and, while it worked out well over one month, is unlikely to be beneficial long-term). By calling things you post stupid, I would expect some response. Respond away.The fact that RDog believes he should be immune to criticism after calling someone a retard is ludicrous. Give advice and contribute but don't be surprised if people don't like it.Also, I am constantly amazed by the number of people that post on here that correlate success with poker and bankroll management. There are tons of successful posters who just don't take poker that seriously and play for fun. I play strictly for fun and if I go to the boat and drop a few hundred so be it. That is my night's entertainment. Long term I am a very slight winner. But I play stakes that are enjoyable for me even if giving up an edge. I am aware of this. I know you think it makes me a fish. But if I am going to sacrifice personal time to play I might as well enjoy it.
This is all over the place.I don't think it makes you a fish. It just makes your opinion pretty worthless to me. You aren't succesful at poker, and I'm here for the sole purpose of increasing my success at poker. So you telling me a decision I make poker wise would be like Joe Random wallstreet broker who may have made a few bucks trading telling Warren Buffett he made a bad investment.If you wanted to contribute, you could ask it in the form of a question, and wait for the response before determining if something is stupid. Such as "Don't you think that a 35,000 hand challenge that is causing you to play a ton of hands in -EV conditions wouldn't be beneficial long-term?" It makes me think and it makes you think. If you had the desire to do that, however, you'd probably be doing it and winning. You don't have the desire. Which is fine. It just means that I don't care what you think since you don't put thought into the game.The OP doesn't get the same treatment because he hasn't shown any signs of success, any desire to learn, and hasn't fostered any releationships here. If no one knew who I was, no one would care if I played 35k hands or not, and may call me retarded for doing so. But instead of me saying "F you all, I'm good at poker!" I would say "Why is that retarded?" And that's the difference between me, and you/the OP.
Sigh.
Oh sweet, u finally got rid of that stupid ass picture in your sig.I thought I was the only one who thought Rdog acts way too "holier than thou"...until this thread. I feel better now.Can this thread turn into a heads up challenge like antonius vs durrrrrrr?
This is all over the place.I don't think it makes you a fish. It just makes your opinion pretty worthless to me. You aren't succesful at poker, and I'm here for the sole purpose of increasing my success at poker. So you telling me a decision I make poker wise would be like Joe Random wallstreet broker who may have made a few bucks trading telling Warren Buffett he made a bad investment.If you wanted to contribute, you could ask it in the form of a question, and wait for the response before determining if something is stupid. Such as "Don't you think that a 35,000 hand challenge that is causing you to play a ton of hands in -EV conditions wouldn't be beneficial long-term?" It makes me think and it makes you think. If you had the desire to do that, however, you'd probably be doing it and winning. You don't have the desire. Which is fine. It just means that I don't care what you think since you don't put thought into the game.The OP doesn't get the same treatment because he hasn't shown any signs of success, any desire to learn, and hasn't fostered any releationships here. If no one knew who I was, no one would care if I played 35k hands or not, and may call me retarded for doing so. But instead of me saying "F you all, I'm good at poker!" I would say "Why is that retarded?" And that's the difference between me, and you/the OP.
That is a fair response. The difference is that I am capable of good bankroll management and am a solid enough player to hold my own in most games, but don't care about long-term poker succes. I love my job too much and my hours don't allow me to focus on poker or to play online. However, I am smart enough to understand the concepts of the game. I don't need to ask why your challenge was done, you explained (to force you to focus, play a ton of hands in a month, and to not have distractions while playing). Furthermore, I don't need to ask if it was stupid (again it is clear from your posts). You had several posts stating that you were tired and playing, or forcing yourself to play, and posted many hands that you acknowledged you weren't happy with how you played.You put yourself in a sub-optimal situation. And the amount of the bet, $500, did not justify the risk. The truth is that while I am sure you are a thoughtful player, the bet was a bad idea. I think any objective person would likely think the same (calling it stupid though was probably unnecessary). My point is that it is a logical fallacy for people on the forum to assume that those who don't take the game seriously are incapable of engaging in high level dialogue about it. I am quite confident in my ability to analyze hands and discuss the game. I just have other things that I would rather do then devote my time to playing it as frequently as others. Thus, I play when I get a chance at stakes that I consider enjoyable.You stated that bankroll management and skill are not mutually exclusive and noted that having the latter requires the former. This is simply untrue. You can be a skilled poker player with no bankroll management (i.e. Mike Matusow or DM). To be a successful poker player you need both. You should differentiate between those two things and realize that there are skilled players that can contribute even if they are not successful (many just don't care about the money while they play).
Ah yes, for sure. I love that on a poker forum I have to feel bad for giving poker advice. But then again, everyone that never posts an opinion on anything or does anything to contribute to the forum want to comment on what I want in return when I give advice. Must be nice to always be able to play armchair quarterback.
Again, to the extreme. You shouldn't feel bad for giving advice, and you don't. People obviously do appreciate your advice, they've said so multiple times in this thread. Everyone won't. So what? Quit wasting your energy and making yourself look like a clown. I also love the "never" and "does anything", so dramatic! You missed your calling in theater. When you realize that although some people have shit bankroll management, but are actually better than you, you'll get that much better. I watched that short heads up match, and there was no point where I thought you were any better. I'm sure he ran better, HU variance, standard, etc. I thought you were going to have to run well to win that match, because you went into it waiting for him to make the mistake. You were so sure he had to, since he was such a monkey for his bankroll rollercoaster. So you waited, while he took it to you. It was a lose/lose spot for you, nice game selection. I'm sure over 15,000 hands you'll get the best of him though.

Most of this is incredibly mundane, but I do like the term Monkeytilt. I wonder if it has a new meaning after that chimp went to town on that women in the news? Personally, I think that ****** went apeshit because he was tired of brushing that bitches hair every night. Anybody else wonder a little bit if she was, you know...... it's the first thing I thought of, but then, why go apeshit? Maybe she was just giving him handies and he wanted the poontang. I'm going to the zoo today, I will ask them what they think.

I feel there's a few crossed wires in this thread.The fact that some (me, maybe a lot of others too) feel there was a small justice done by the OP winning the HU match (go back and read the flow of the first 2 pages to see why), does not in any way indicate a lack of 'respect' to RDog. It is in NO WAY associated to his advice/contributions in this forum... why people are bringing that up, I have no clue. You're going off on a tangeant.It could be anyone, your best friend, your dad, whoever... if they say something you feel is dickish for no real reason, it's totally fair to call them out on it. And if they end up getting a little egg on their face, then it's fine to say 'Haha, that showed you!' (Or words to that effect, obv... it's NOT a lack of respect ffs). Because anyway, long term, we know who is going to most likely have the most succesful poker career between the two... one is a hard working, committed, studious player who knows how to manage a bankroll properly. The other is not.Like I said, it's in no way correlated to a good poster giving out sound advice. But, to RDog, don't get offended when people tell you things straight too, just as you like to talk straight to others.

I feel there's a few crossed wires in this thread.The fact that some (me, maybe a lot of others too) feel there was a small justice done by the OP winning the HU match (go back and read the flow of the first 2 pages to see why), does not in any way indicate a lack of 'respect' to RDog. It is in NO WAY associated to his advice/contributions in this forum... why people are bringing that up, I have no clue. You're going off on a tangeant.It could be anyone, your best friend, your dad, whoever... if they say something you feel is dickish for no real reason, it's totally fair to call them out on it. And if they end up getting a little egg on their face, then it's fine to say 'Haha, that showed you!' (Or words to that effect, obv... it's NOT a lack of respect ffs). Because anyway, long term, we know who is going to most likely have the most succesful poker career between the two... one is a hard working, committed, studious player who knows how to manage a bankroll properly. The other is not.Like I said, it's in no way correlated to a good poster giving out sound advice. But, to RDog, don't get offended when people tell you things straight too, just as you like to talk straight to others.
Word, good post.
RDog, I am not saying to quit giving advice and I could careless if you pound on the way I played a hand. I just think it is unnecessary to call someone stupid or a retard when giving advice to people you don't know. You know what you are doing and you have some great insight - your results speak for themselves. Again I am just talking about the way you come across when giving info to complete strangers who play some hands.Who ever said I enjoy losing money or that I actually do lose money playing poker? Couldn't be further from the truth.If you want to consider yourself a "professional" then maybe you should act in a professional manner towards other people.I'm not going to sit here and kiss your ass like most the others do here. We will just agree to disagree.
You don't make much sense.
god i ****ing hate people.
This might be one of the best posts on FCP.