Hi i'm looking for adviceI decided to work this summer as a poker player, i'm a student i live with my parents, so it's like going pro but without the pressure of having to win money.Plus my dad is opening this coffee house so i'll play there and maybe help with the bussiness for some tips to get my head off the game if i want to.So lots of freedom and hopefully it will be a nice experience, these are the doubts i have.Are cash games the best option?NLHE is probably my best game, should i stay there?How many hours a day? i was thinking like 6-8Do i need a schedule, or just play whenever i feel like it?Do i need to study everyday, or just play?How many tables at the same time? Thanks for answering any of this questions, or any comment on bankroll mangement, game selection, what to do with tilt etc

Hi i'm looking for adviceI decided to work this summer as a poker player, i'm a student i live with my parents, so it's like going pro but without the pressure of having to win money.Plus my dad is opening this coffee house so i'll play there and maybe help with the bussiness for some tips to get my head off the game if i want to.So lots of freedom and hopefully it will be a nice experience, these are the doubts i have.Are cash games the best option?NLHE is probably my best game, should i stay there?How many hours a day? i was thinking like 6-8Do i need a schedule, or just play whenever i feel like it?Do i need to study everyday, or just play?How many tables at the same time? Thanks for answering any of this questions, or any comment on bankroll mangement, game selection, what to do with tilt etc
These answers are pretty easy and self explanatory:1. It depends2. It depends3. It depends4. It depends5. It depends6. It depends
These answers are pretty easy and self explanatory:1. It depends2. It depends3. It depends4. It depends5. It depends6. It depends
yeah you're right, let me ask again.If any of you play full time, how do you do it?thanks

What stakes are you playing now? How big is your roll? It doesn't seem like your ready to go pro. Most people wouldn't just set a date months away from now to go pro they would just work and/or go to school until going to work is interfering with how much you could be making at poker.I just play whenever, but I do set a daily hands goal. Im not sure I like the idea of a schedule because for me it would lead to it feeling too much like a job, plus there would be times in your schedule when you were tilting or the games were poor or whatever.Play however many tables your most comfortable with and play whatever game is your best.

LoL you sound like you just woke up today and decided "I'm just going to play poker for my summer job". Have you played before? What games do you usually play? What is your bankroll? You asked a lot of general questions without giving much info. I'd say stick to work at the donut shop.

Are cash games the best option?
Short answer: Yes.Long answer: It depends.
NLHE is probably my best game, should i stay there?
NLHE is a lot of other people's best game, too. It's all about the relative skill level.
How many hours a day? i was thinking like 6-8
6 is OK, imho. 8 is too much.
Do i need a schedule, or just play whenever i feel like it?
Find a time of day that fits with your life.
Do i need to study everyday, or just play?
Study a lot. I don't know if every day is necessary, but do it a lot.
How many tables at the same time?
I dunno. You'll have to figure out how adding tables affects your personal winrate. Is "going pro" sort of tongue in cheek? Is it different than ****ing around all summer and seeing how the poker goes?

yeah you all got me wrong, i play like 2 hours a day when i have time, and i'm a decent player, not enough for pro but i know what i'm doingNext December I won't have anything to do for 3 months so i'll play poker full time to giv it a tryI'm playing .1/,25 i know it's not much but making 20 dollars a day is a loot better than any other summer jobs i could get here in chile (and a lot more fun), and i'm pretty sure i can make more than that.The main reason i'm asking is cause i need to know if i have to make any adjustments from playing whenever i have time to 6 hours a day.

Playing for 8 hours in one day is not even close to the same as playing four different 2 hour recreational sessions. Your winrate will drop, and if you aren't experienced at handling the swings and tilts, you might not even be a winner at all playing that many hands.

I suggest, to any player considering turning pro, to learn how to beat other games if they can only beat one. This will help you develop a more all around sense of poker, which can help address any leaks in your main game. At the very least, develop a competent ability to play profitably at all of the HORSE games. You don't necessarily have to crush them: just make sure you can consistently win at them. Hold'Em seems far clearer IMO once you've honed your ability at Omaha, Razz & Stud.Mark Blade has a book out called Professional Poker that's pretty blunt about what you need to be able to do to play professionally. Not sure, given you're in Chile, if getting a copy is possible for you, though.Basically, OP, I'd say, if you have the bankroll for your desired levels and the time, give it a shot. As long as your personal responsibilities are all met, do what you believe you can do. Manage your bankroll wisely, maintain an honest assessment of your winrate and your abilities at whatever level you play at. At worst, learn something from it, and if you can turn a good profit in the long run, then huzzah and wp, sir.

At the very least, develop a competent ability to play profitably at all of the HORSE games.
LOL. I've played more Horse than 98.5% of the forum and I would still never make the claim I'm profitable in all 5 HORSE games. Plus you have to factor the split games get hit pretty hard by the rake at micro limits.

In your situation, I wouldn't recommend setting an hourly goal for each day. Play as long as you're winning and not trying to "force hands". Once you start forcing hands, you may be getting tired.Go watch some tv or something and take a break.Don't get into a rut where you wake up and sit down at the computer right away. Make sure you REALLY want to play. You will see much better results that way.Again, since your livelihood obviously doesn't come from poker, take your time and stick to playing when you are enjoying it. Don't fall into the "grind" just yet.Good luck and keep us updated!

Playing for 8 hours in one day is not even close to the same as playing four different 2 hour recreational sessions. Your winrate will drop, and if you aren't experienced at handling the swings and tilts, you might not even be a winner at all playing that many hands.
this.i was having a conversation with my girlfriend in which i told her how much i make per hour playing poker. shes gasps and then ask how come you don't just play 50 hours a week and make a ton of money. i explained to her that if i played 50 hours a week not only would i not make that much per hour, i would probably be a loser. playing four tables of 1/2 lhe you think ok wow i am making like 10-15 an hour. maybe even more. thats better than a lot of peoples jobs (especially since, and lets be honest here, most people are not going to pay taxes on this). however, sustaining an hourly like that playing 3 hours a day is a lot easier than doing it 8 hours a day.i recommend this following. set a thing where you are going to play for two hours. at the end of two hours if you are down or break even you stop. if you are up you keep playing until you don't want to anymore. you can also factor in how well you are playing. if you are up a bunch but feel like you are playing like shit then stop. but, and this is important, not matter how good you feel just stop if you are down. i do something very similar to this and have been pretty successful with it. it maximizes the time that i am playing while i am playing my best and minimizes the hands i put in not playing my best. so maybe do this twice a day with a four or five hour limit to how long the session can run.
LOL. I've played more Horse than 98.5% of the forum and I would still never make the claim I'm profitable in all 5 HORSE games. Plus you have to factor the split games get hit pretty hard by the rake at micro limits.
this. wait till you end up running negative over 20k hands it's not fun at all.

If you like the game and know you have a few months off why not try it. If it doesn't work out go work for your father. You probably have few to none responsebillities being a student so why not take shot to go big or go broke. If you were older and had a family the obvious answer would be no.

yeah you all got me wrong, i play like 2 hours a day when i have time, and i'm a decent player, not enough for pro but i know what i'm doingNext December I won't have anything to do for 3 months so i'll play poker full time to giv it a tryI'm playing .1/,25 i know it's not much but making 20 dollars a day is a loot better than any other summer jobs i could get here in chile (and a lot more fun), and i'm pretty sure i can make more than that.The main reason i'm asking is cause i need to know if i have to make any adjustments from playing whenever i have time to 6 hours a day.
If I'm understanding this correctly, you say you win an average of $20 per 2 hr. sessions?? So, about $10/hr. You also have to consider the swings. If you have never played consistent 6-8 hr. sessoins so you might be in for a surprise after a few days of playing. I would talk to your old man about the coffee shop (wage + tips) and average out your hourly rate there and compare the two. My personal opinion is to work the coffee shop and play in your free time.

Thanks for all the answers, they've help me realize that playing whenever i feel like it is a lot different than 6 hours a day.I don't know what my hourly rate is, i've never played consistently cash games before, i play them once in a while but i'm sure i've won money.I really aprecciate your comments and thinking about them i have decided how i will do it.I'm gonna start by working out every morning, that has always been part of the plan and i think it's very important to keep me thinking well, then i'll start a 2 hour session and depending how i feel i can make it last for a miximum of 5 hours, the other 3 hours i can play them whenever i feel like it. I will play a minnimum of 5 hours a day and a maximum of 7.I've set a minnimum so i can make this serious, more like a job and not like i will just play poker for the summer whenever i feel like it.I love poker a lot (i'm playing right now quite drunk... which i won't do during summer of course ) so this can't be a bad experience, i will handle my bankroll wisely and read the cash games strategy forums and a few book regularly for studyingI'm young, single and have no responsabilites so why the f not, all i need now is a good cash game software... any suggestions?

LOL at this thread.You're not a pro if you aren't depending on the $$ for anything, just an FYI.
yeah i know i'm not a pro i've said do from the beggining, i just said i wanted to play full time like pros do cause i have nothing else to do...
yeah i know i'm not a pro i've said do from the beggining, i just said i wanted to play full time like pros do cause i have nothing else to do...
If you have no other obligations, then just play and don't call it anything.

make sure u if u are hungry, eat before playing, i dont think as well when hungryif u are tired, rest before playing, i dont play as well when tiredif u need energy drinks or pop to keep focus and alertness try that , but try healthy alternatives as well

Are cash games the best option?NLHE is probably my best game, should i stay there?How many hours a day? i was thinking like 6-8Do i need a schedule, or just play whenever i feel like it?Do i need to study everyday, or just play?How many tables at the same time?
If you don't already know the answer to these then you aren't in any position to go 'pro.'And QFT to what Acid said.

Good luck with this OPA lot of people are giving you a hard time over this but I know where you are coming from. In the sense that you are going to play full time and have this hopefully be your main source of income for the period then in essence you will be playing professionally. In terms of ability I'm assuming you are no where near the ability of a pro player. You also have no major responsibilities and can take a good shot at this. I will keep an eye on this or if you set up a new thread on your progress.FWIW - A professional is defined as :following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain ( is this not what this gent is doing for 3 months ).