The Official Royal Oak Fearsome Beavers Thread

After spending most of Sunday huddled in a dark corner mumbling something about Cam Ward and Radim Vrbata, the GM of the ROFB has come out of hiding and decided to own up to his failures on Opening Night. After putting up the lowest score of all 15 teams on Saturday, the ROFB are already on monkey tilt. The Good:Dubinsky and Little. That was about it on this night. Well unless you take a look at the bench.The Bad:The GM's lineup decisions. He changed the lineup daily and finally seemed confident his team would roll over the Tulane Flyers regardless if it was Mike's birthday. But the on the bench sat 5 points. which would have taken the .5 - 1 loss to a 5.5 - 1 win and the ROFB would have the confidence going forward and maybe the other teams would take them seriously. Unfortunately that is not the case as the ROFB sit all by themselves in 15th spot with nothing but .5 points to show for their effort. The ROFB don't expect much this Tuesday. While many mock the lineups of the KC Reserves, the KC Reserves play with a lot of heart and showed that to the rest of the league on Saturday. Till then the GM of the ROFB is going to watch baseball and drink heavily.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR Letesu vs TOR

I like how Dale is just going to make both of our lineups for our game tonight.

Im pretty sure if we ask, Dale would run the whole FCHL for us, set lineups, make trades, free agent pickups....

the reserves beat the average league score on opening night, yayI think I am gonna get smashed thoughwish bertuzzi would do something
Bert is a bum and is going to ruin Hanks season.
give the guys a break. they start the season 0-2 and you throw em under the bus immediately.
they need a goalie in Detroit..Osgood and Howard arent going to cut it..i got a great offer for you guys.Toskala and Ponikarovsky for Lieno and a 1st
give the guys a break. they start the season 0-2 and you throw em under the bus immediately.
I hate Bert. I was unhappy to have him the first time around and unhappy to have him this time around. How many times is it going to take for any team in the NHL to realize that he is not a threat to score goals and most importantly, not a first line forward like Calgary thought and now Detroit believes? I think Zetterberg's numbers are going to suffer because of him. Hopefully they move Bert back to the third and bring up Val or Leino.
they need a goalie in Detroit..Osgood and Howard arent going to cut it..i got a great offer for you guys.Toskala and Ponikarovsky for Lieno and a 1st
I have no issues with Ozzie and Howie. My issue is the defense. It was the issue last year and they did absolutely nothing to rectify it this off season. If you go back toward trade deadline and FA threads you will see me screaming for solid D men. I know we lost Hossa, Hudler, and Samuleson but we have people who can score, so going out and getting 3 forwards doesn't help this team defensively. I love Babs but saying that this team needs to dig deep and play better defensively is not the "fix" this team needed.

This is mainly for me to laugh at my lineup errors.Oct 3rdLoss .5 - 1Bench - 3.5 pointsDifferent goalie choice 1.5If I was smart: Win 5.5 - 1Oct 6 Loss .5 - 1Different goalie choice 1.0If I was smart Win 1.5 - 1Oct 8Loss 1- 3.5Bench 3.0If I was smart Win 4-3.5Oct 10 Loss -1 - 2Bench 1.5Different goalies 1Lose a more respectable 1.5 -2.0So better lineup management would have me right now at 3-1 instead of 0-4*sigh*

Better lineup management or hindsight?I dont know the players your considering, but if its saying "if I had started Brett Clark over Mike Green, I would have won", thats not exactly your fault as a manager.

I think in almost every instance, especially with games 2 and 3, I changed my lineups at the last minute and lost valuable points for it. Today is at least easier since neither of my goalies play so that reduces the chances to fuck that up this time. lol

I think in almost every instance, especially with games 2 and 3, I changed my lineups at the last minute and lost valuable points for it. Today is at least easier since neither of my goalies play so that reduces the chances to fuck that up this time. lol
yeah, these sting.look at this way, it shows your team has depth.

Well Reinprecht didn't get a point so I miss out on .5 due to late change.Tied 1-1 but I had Dubinsky in the OT slot vs Tanguay. Gotta sweat Giordano, Smid, Keith, and Sullivan. Still have Vbarta in the late game if nec. Funny if I win my first game with no goalies.

Well Reinprecht didn't get a point so I miss out on .5 due to late change.Tied 1-1 but I had Dubinsky in the OT slot vs Tanguay. Gotta sweat Giordano, Smid, Keith, and Sullivan. Still have Vbarta in the late game if nec. Funny if I win my first game with no goalies.
I believe Rich switched out Smid. Check the gameday thread.
  • 4 weeks later...

Last year I had really no depth. It was rare for me to have to make tough decisions on who to sit and who to start on any given night. I had my good players and a bunch of scrubs. I may have lost maybe 5 or 6 games last year that would have been wins if I chose a better lineup.This year I would be 9-4 with better lineups rather than the dismal 4-9. You can ask my wife, it has made me an angry person to be around on game nights. I am either pissed off and swearing at the computer or I am sad and sulking on the couch vowing to never play fantasy anything ever again. I think she is getting annoyed.I don't have a great team. I think I am much better than I was last year and I was fighting for the last playoff spot there towards the end. This team seems destined for the shitter and I will only have myself to blame. I am very superstitious. I have no idea how I became that way but I am. I, like the Leafs, think luck plays a part and I am just unlucky. On non-game nights my players will perform the way I expect them too. But on game night I will see little to no scoring whatsoever. Goalies are another issue. When I was able to end the season last year and locking up CAR and ANA as my goalie tandem for a few years I thought I set that up pretty good. A tier 1 and tier 2 grouping. 14 missed nights, and only 1 missed game in the playoffs this year. So far my record is better when I play neither of them. These teams are like goal magnets giving up more than 5 on most game nights. I attribute that to the fact that I put them on my team and I somehow mess with the universe.Through 13 games I am sitting at .5 points. WTF. I haven't looked but I will predict that when I go back and look at the scores if I put in better lineups and goalies I would be in the 20's or close to it. Surely better than .5.Someone mentioned that at least I have scoring depth. Yeah, but I don't have the skills to put it together right I guess. I go against Ollie, Arp, and John this week and if I can win one I will be lucky, two will make me happy, 3 will give me hope.But I have plenty of decisions to make and that means I will f it up somehow. /rantI had Reinprecht on my team. He did nothing, I trade him to danny and boom the guy is getting hattricks. Dammit.

Take the guess work out of it. Take the players pool points per game over the course of this season (12-15 games is an OK sample size for our purposes) and use the top 6 guys who are playing.For close decisions, just take a look at matchups and like the last 2-3 games to see if they are streaking or whatever.Just because someone on your bench outscores someone on your lineup, that doesn't mean your decision was wrong.I thought this was a poker forum? You should know better than to think that luck has anything to do with the long run.

Take the guess work out of it. Take the players pool points per game over the course of this season (12-15 games is an OK sample size for our purposes) and use the top 6 guys who are playing.For close decisions, just take a look at matchups and like the last 2-3 games to see if they are streaking or whatever.Just because someone on your bench outscores someone on your lineup, that doesn't mean your decision was wrong.I thought this was a poker forum? You should know better than to think that luck has anything to do with the long run.
Oh don't get me started on poker!!!Funny side story, for me at least...I was playing in a 90 person Knockout SNG on Tilt Monday night. I got AK, raised it up, two callers. Flop comes A4Kr. I bet, guy calls, nexty guy goes all in, I call leaving about 1K behind, the other guy tanks, finally pushes all in and he had me covered. I nudged Liz and said, "watch how I get fucked right here, I bet I have the best hand right now" I call. I show AK, next guy, 55, the next guy, KTo.JQShe died laughing. Fucking luck I have!
Oh don't get me started on poker!!!Funny side story, for me at least...I was playing in a 90 person Knockout SNG on Tilt Monday night. I got AK, raised it up, two callers. Flop comes A4Kr. I bet, guy calls, nexty guy goes all in, I call leaving about 1K behind, the other guy tanks, finally pushes all in and he had me covered. I nudged Liz and said, "watch how I get fucked right here, I bet I have the best hand right now" I call. I show AK, next guy, 55, the next guy, KTo.JQShe died laughing. Fucking luck I have!
This is exactly what has been happening to the Leafs the past week..Welcome to my world. :club:

I was in a similar position last year - constantly making lineup 'mistakes' and goalie errors. It is incredibly frustrating, but Zach is right, it does even out. Don't let yourself make bad decisions like thinking Reinprecht will not suck on any given night. I would use last year's stats more than this year's, but that's up to you.Everything I've said is completely obvious. The main thing is not to fool yourself - no one that you would even think about a decision would involve an expectation of more than 1/10th of a point versus someone else.

If only the "dashboard" was working, eh?