A Hand From Wsop - Event #5 - $1,000 No Limit Hold ‘em With Rebuys

Fold, Call or Push?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Given the action so far, what is your choice?

• Fold
    • Call
    • Push

Hi guys…I have not been around much lately due to a new job, but I had an interesting hand last week that I wanted your thoughts on.It is Level 3 (third hour, re-buy period is over), with blinds at 100/200. On my right are two very active players. I am looking to trap when one of them raises to 600 in middle position, so I just call with AKo. A very tight player in the BB re-raises to 2,000. The original raiser folds. The pot is 3,500. I have only 600 invested, I have to call 1,400 more (pot is offering 2.5:1). I have 6,000 left and he has me covered.What do you do: Fold, Call or Push?

I vote for a push because the tight player could obviously be squeezing because he knows they are active. I'd be okay with a flip at this point in a rebuy.

I'll be in the minority here but I would call. QQ+ is just short of 2:1, and throw in the equity for a tie and youre there. I dont see much fold equity here, because a tight villain isnt going to lay down very many hands that he could have raised with. By calling we leave ourselves with a playable stack if we have to fold to a blank flop.

If this is in the rebuy period, I think this is a standard shove, he would have to be incredibly nitty for you to do otherwise i feel.

Rebuy??!!! AK???!!!I shove allin preflop. I probably run into aces and rebuy. If I actually care about my stack, I probably reraise with AK preflop so nobody squeezes me out and if I get reraised, I can probably lay down at that point.If I played the way you did, I call and figure out what the hell to do on the flop, but only because you said very tight player and then bolded very tight player.

If this is in the rebuy period, I think this is a standard shove, he would have to be incredibly nitty for you to do otherwise i feel.
Re-buy's ended in Level 2 - I have edited the original post.

With the re-buy over I agree with copernicus. I call here. If he is that tight, I would say his range is at worst AK or JJ, QQ, KK, AA. Then evaluate flop, and since this is live hopefully you can get a read on him once the flop hits.

It's less likely that opponent has AA/KK since we have AK but your description of villain as very tight gives me pause. However, if villain knows that you view him as very tight, knows that the original raiser has been active and his range fairly wide and sees your call as sorta weak, a squeeze play would make sense here. His raise on the other hand is designed to give you good odds to at least call his raise.I would think about it and shove as I want to see all five cards and 2/3 of the time, I'll whiff the flop and have A-high.

looooool...I'm the only person who folded so far...Is a coinflip against a likely big PP what you'd like here? Because that's what it sure looks like. Why, why, WHY would you want to race with your tourney life against a nit who just raised???Special hello and thanks to Monix for being such a standup guy. Invest in the company he's chairing...it's "green" and solar!

If this tight player knows the guy on your right is getting out of line by raising a lot of pots, he probably thinks he can steal it right then and there. He probably believes that if you had such a strong hand, you would have raised already so he does not peg you as having a hand like AK or better and maybe puts you on a smaller pocket or suited connector. His range can be huge here and could very well be trying to make a move and using his tight image to his advantage with this squeeze.Edit: i guess i should have read the rest of the responses before making another one. gobears hit the nail on the head.

Of those 3 choices I would fold. I think we are missing some choices though.One would be to call with the intent of pushing ANY flop. Another would be to make it 3,400 to go. A true min raise. Force him to define his hand preflop. Allow him a chance to make a poor decision. He pushes ...you know he has AA or KK. He calls...he has QQ- 1010 or AK, maybe AQ. Or worse.He pushes preflop...you could actually fold at that blind level with a 3200 stack remaining. Just a thought.BTW... I think the original limp is usually a poor play in that spot.

wouldnt what just happened in the described hand be an arguement to NOT take this line with AK here?when we just flat a loose players raise we look weak, because everyone else knows he is loose too so if you had real cards you would have raised to take it from villian. i also dont know some really important things, like what position you were in. if you were in late position or on the button i may indeed flat it knowing i only need to get through the blinds, but early position i define my hand before someone else puts me in a sticky spot. i say fold, he may be pulling a squeeze play, but if he is it was a good one. your only other option i think is a re raise, but i think thats an overly expensive way to know if someone has jacks or better. preserve your stack. and remember that BB has a squeeze play in his arsenal the next time you try and trap.

I think i push here. I don't think he flats JJ in a 3 way pot, so JJ is definately in his raising range. To say he could squeeze this early on is a bit of a loose assumption without a serious read on villain as a competetive / good TAG, but it's a push anyways i think. if he's got aces or kings, so be it, but i'd take early chances to get a big stack rather than blinding away.

Ah, if this isn't the rebuy period I think this is a real tough decision.I vote for doing whatever Monix did!

looooool...I'm the only person who folded so far...Is a coinflip against a likely big PP what you'd like here? Because that's what it sure looks like. Why, why, WHY would you want to race with your tourney life against a nit who just raised???Special hello and thanks to Monix for being such a standup guy. Invest in the company he's chairing...it's "green" and solar!
If you think youre in a coinflip and are even considering folding, then I'll ignore your investment advice too!! :club: Youre getting 2.5:1 to race!!!

Probably a fold here for me. If this guy is as tight as you make him seem, it makes sense that the worse he has is J-J or A-K as well...in which case its not worth putting a 5th of ur stack in. And i'm gonna have to agree with some of the previous posts about ur call with A-K in middle-late position. I woulda raised it up so that you know where you are and maybe prevent this BB from doing a squeeze play on you (which he might of).

If you call, you'll have $4600 left and the pot will be $4900 on the flop. If he shoves almost any flop, you'll be getting over 2:1.

Board: 5s 6h 7dDead:  	equity 	win 	tie 		  pots won 	pots tied	Hand 0: 	33.765%	  19.54% 	14.22% 			  6965 		 5069.00   { AsKd }Hand 1: 	66.235%	  52.01% 	14.22% 			 18537 		 5069.00   { TT+, AQs+, AKo }

We are forced to call postflop with a lot of flops. If you add any other hands to his range like KQ or JT then calling preflop pretty much forces us to call off with ace high postflop. If he's tighter than that range you can just fold preflop. Would he flat call with AQ? Would he flat call with AK? TT?I shove or fold preflop. If he's that tight then folding is not going to be a mistake. If AQ is in his range then shoving preflop is correct.

If you think youre in a coinflip and are even considering folding, then I'll ignore your investment advice too!! :club: Youre getting 2.5:1 to race!!!
We're getting 2.5:1 to call, our shoving odds are a less than that, though how much less I can't work out.

Based upon my read of Villain I put him on a pretty narrow range and folded, but it has bothered me ever since.I do not like calling here at all; putting in another ¼ of my stack to only see three cards does not make sense. AK wants to see all 5 cards.So is it Fold or Push? Based upon my read up to that time (and confirmed in my play with him afterwards), was he was either squeezing or re-raising with QQ+ and AK. Against this range Pokerstove says:Text results appended to pokerstove.txt 431,500,608 games 0.005 secs 86,300,121,600 games/secBoard: Dead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 38.824% 18.14% 20.68% 78295380 89232168.00 { AKo }Hand 1: 61.176% 40.50% 20.68% 174740892 89232168.00 { QQ+, AKs, AKo }With 39% equity against this range, Villain would have to be squeezing at least 20% of the time for my equity to increase to 50%.I think this is a toss-up; folding here leaves me with a decent stack, while I am no better than racing if I push. Either play is ok IMO.

lol, good one!... I guess 2.5 to 1 is good calling odds, but if losing means you're sent to the rail, well, I guess I'm just kind of nitty from getting screwed in situations like this. I lost with AKo against 44 last night. The guy had limped EP and I shoved about 6K into pot. He needed to call about 5K (getting less than 2 to 1) and ended up making a set on the flop and quads on the river lol.Anyway, I guess a question for me would be: If the villains has you covered, what odds are good enough to call off your chips with AK? I've heard people say 1.5 to 1 is good enough, but that answer (and my question) doesn't take some important factors into account. The corollary question is: If there is a standard for odds to shove AK, how much do other factors modify that formula?(is there a thread on this topic already? The odds thing...)
lol, good one!... I guess 2.5 to 1 is good calling odds, but if losing means you're sent to the rail, well, I guess I'm just kind of nitty from getting screwed in situations like this. I lost with AKo against 44 last night. The guy had limped EP and I shoved about 6K into pot. He needed to call about 5K (getting less than 2 to 1) and ended up making a set on the flop and quads on the river lol.Anyway, I guess a question for me would be: If the villains has you covered, what odds are good enough to call off your chips with AK? I've heard people say 1.5 to 1 is good enough, but that answer (and my question) doesn't take some important factors into account. The corollary question is: If there is a standard for odds to shove AK, how much do other factors modify that formula?(is there a thread on this topic already? The odds thing...)
Barring bubble/laddering up considerations 1.5:1 is a pretty solid benchmark. Youre a 57:43 dog at worst and takinga little cushion by asking for 60:40 odds isnt unreasonable. That actually is a tiny cushion if AA, KK are in villains range a long with a few other pairs (TT+, AK is break even at 60:40)
Barring bubble/laddering up considerations 1.5:1 is a pretty solid benchmark. Youre a 57:43 dog at worst and takinga little cushion by asking for 60:40 odds isnt unreasonable. That actually is a tiny cushion if AA, KK are in villains range a long with a few other pairs (TT+, AK is break even at 60:40)
Thank you, sir, and to Hell with Tycho Brahe...