You can save a lot on "night time entertainment" in vegas by combining commercial sex workers with pocketted tournament chips. fyi. Every penny saved for bankroll helps.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, he has a higher net worth than some pros I could name.
Always an intriguing statement. Surely you can give some hints?Also, how do busto pros keeps playing? Stakes? However, after a while wouldn't the stakes stop coming?
Always an intriguing statement. Surely you can give some hints?Also, how do busto pros keeps playing? Stakes? However, after a while wouldn't the stakes stop coming?
I have no idea who he's talking about, but I'm sure these guys don't go busto playing poker. I can imagine some guys have standing arrangements for stakes from guys, and the guy fronting the money has no problem backing a winning poker player. It's a +EV thing for both parties. I'd imagine the player just has spending/lifestyle issues when he does have the money.Look at a guy like Stu Ungar. He won a boatload, but never had money, and had to take stakes from time to time. I'd imagine there are some guys out there, probably on a much lesser scale, that live their lives like this.My point is, I doubt the stakes would dry up just because these guys need them. I imagine the backer is making good money off of these guys.
I live in the dorms now. But my parents pay for them and for school, so I won't have to worry about it too much.
Can you really be considered a pro at anything if you still get money from your parents? j/s
I have no idea who he's talking about, but I'm sure these guys don't go busto playing poker. I can imagine some guys have standing arrangements for stakes from guys, and the guy fronting the money has no problem backing a winning poker player. It's a +EV thing for both parties. I'd imagine the player just has spending/lifestyle issues when he does have the money.Look at a guy like Stu Ungar. He won a boatload, but never had money, and had to take stakes from time to time. I'd imagine there are some guys out there, probably on a much lesser scale, that live their lives like this.My point is, I doubt the stakes would dry up just because these guys need them. I imagine the backer is making good money off of these guys.
Very good points in this post. Never thought about Stu but he was def. always busto. I guess Matusow could be one that's busto from time to time. Can't really think of any other tv pro though.
I live in the dorms now. But my parents pay for them and for school, so I won't have to worry about it too much.
would your parents keep paying if they knew you wanted to become a professional?
Agreed...I would say 99.5% of the time they can still win money in the right poker games but end up blowing there money on their lifestyle/bad games. Just a few days ago on Poker Road Radio Brad Booth was talking about the millions he lost playing online. He was able to make a ton in live cash games but his addictive gambling personality kept leading him back to the online games which killed his BR. At the time he said that he was backed by Guy Liberte and ended up ruining the staking arrangement and finding himself broke due to the large amount he lost online. But, Im sure he had no problem getting a live game stake and found himself back in action in no time.
So I'm in college right now, and don't really have any expenses.
i went to the wrong college.
I don't really have to worry about money issues too bad. So I'm going to be a professional.
once you go professional, you're going to have money issues.
My bankroll is still a little smaller than I would like ($780ish).
what's your goal? a modest expectation is to turn a 800 percent increase on your money in 1 month. so like 8k a month.
For the time being I'm going to play sit-n-goes. I don't want to play the turbos because those are just shove fests and there's no real poker in them.
yah, i enjoy the regular SNGs too. it takes more skill to wait a bit longer before the shovefests start.
What site do you guys think I should be playing at? I think once I move up to the $20's shortly I should be making like 8K a month. What do you guys think?
oh, i see you already did the research on this. i feel a bit foolish with my advice then. you know what you're doing. :club: be sure to post what site you decide to play on and your nick on it so we can cheer you on, or have a few fun games with you!!!!
Somehow this statement makes the pro idea less likely for me. Something about an IROC screams "I sweep floors for sandwiches."
you have a bit of a point, however, if he's finding sandwiches on the floor while sweeping, his food needs are taken care at least.

Call me crazy but if I was beating the $20s to the tune of $8k/month I would consider moving up levels. You should set a more modest and realistic goal, like breaking even.

Call me crazy but if I was beating the $20s to the tune of $8k/month I would consider moving up levels. You should set a more modest and realistic goal, like breaking even.
you can't go pro if you're only breaking even, though

And remember............How do you get a poker pro off of your front step?You pay him for the pizza!Eye of the Tiger man! Godspeed!

With that bankroll, you too can turn pro and live in......A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!mfvan.jpg

Holy shit, I should be playing Sit N Go's!!!! 8k a month in $20 SNG's? Wish I had done the research before I started playing cash!!!

And remember............How do you get a poker pro off of your front step?You pay him for the pizza!

If you're going pro you can't be spending all that time in class either. It's time to make a choice, student and part-time poker player, or professional poker player. I'll leave you with a conversation I had with my professor in college right before leaving to play 6.50 2 table turbos for my career. I hope it motivates you the same as it did me. He also played poker while in college. He dropped out to TP/MM, eventually did, then went back to school to teach and encourage others to follow their dreams. Professor:Eventually, l... I found my place, StrippersNBlow-What then? P- I immersed myself fully, I studied the supersystem, I learned everything I could about teh poker. I mean, I felt deeply inside that it was what I was born to do. SNB- And did your parents get over it? - P- No. I always hoped that I would find... some way to change their minds, but... They were inconsolable. My father never spoke to me again SNB-If you had to do it all over again, would you make the same choices? P- What choice? The last thing I took away from the FCP forums is this... We can't run from who we are. Our destiny chooses us.

If you're going pro you can't be spending all that time in class either. It's time to make a choice, student and part-time poker player, or professional poker player. I'll leave you with a conversation I had with my professor in college right before leaving to play 6.50 2 table turbos for my career. I hope it motivates you the same as it did me. He also played poker while in college. He dropped out to TP/MM, eventually did, then went back to school to teach and encourage others to follow their dreams. Professor:Eventually, l... I found my place, StrippersNBlow-What then? P- I immersed myself fully, I studied the supersystem, I learned everything I could about teh poker. I mean, I felt deeply inside that it was what I was born to do. SNB- And did your parents get over it? - P- No. I always hoped that I would find... some way to change their minds, but... They were inconsolable. My father never spoke to me again SNB-If you had to do it all over again, would you make the same choices? P- What choice? The last thing I took away from the FCP forums is this... We can't run from who we are. Our destiny chooses us.
was this Professor Abe Petrovsky?