how much was your bankroll to start?

Start with lower limits of whatever you will be playing, and you will most likely be loosing for a while. I would say deposit $100 at a time, and you might need as much as $500 before you start realizing how to win. I have a thick head, and played some larger tournements than I should have when I was learning ($25 - $30 not $300, I also played $3, and $5, but I had no business in the bigger tourneys), so it probably cost me a couple of thousand to learn. The play money tables are not a substitute for poker, so the fact that you have 20 million play money chips doesn't mean that you know how to play.Just so everyone knows I did finally learn after pouring money down the drain for awhile, and have been well on the plus side for a long time.

i love how everyone is up thousands of dollars and no one is losing. all this just money comes out of thin air
Perhaps there is a corrolation between people who visit these forums and people who make money on poker? Seriously, I doubt any of the casual "poker is just entertainment" type players that feed our bankrolls visit any forums like these.Personally, I started with $50 on Stars back in August and have run that up to $2500. I've been quite conservative with my bankroll though.

I started with 25 and lost that in about a week. I deposited another 25 and built that up but lost it fairly fast. I deposited another 25 and lost that. By this time I was gettting very frusterated. I came up with this great idea that if I deposited 100 I wouldnt go broke because of my "bad luck". I went through two 100 dollar deposits and swore i would try one more 100 dollar deposit. I droped down in limits from .5/1 to .10/.25. I have been building off that 100 for a little over a year and have now cashed out all my losssesIt just takes time to learn and study the game to become a winning player. I now multitable the NL tables at UB in limits from .10/.25 to .5/1.

I started with $200 in October and November, and have about $4500 now. Lots of bonuses in there though. I lost a few hundred in the 2 years prior to when I deposited that $200. The cause was a mixture of bad play and bad bankroll management. An interesting thing is that I've learnt literally ten times as much since october than I did in the two years prior. The difference being that now I'm playing full time.

i did it wrong, but i started with 20 bucks on pokerroom in early february. i played dollar, five dollar, and freeroll MTTs, and won about 100 dollars, and have kept the same sort of system, but moving up in buyins, and now my roll is about 3 grand and i've cashed out over 10 grand.
LOL thats the biggest load of crap i've ever heard....your telling me in the past 4 months you've mad 13 Gs off your 20 dollar investment and plaing 1 dollar and 5 dollar MTTs.... :roll:
um, basically, yeah. i started at 5 and 10 buyins, and now i play 50-100 dollar buyins. i win about 2% of the tourneys i play, and make the final table in about 8%. believe me or not, but it's true.ps: it's "you're," not "your." if you're going to be a dick, then at least use proper grammar doing so.

Not to go off topic, but here it goes. I always hear that Full Tilt has a lot of tought players on it, and that it's not a good place to play. So I just have to ask, I am up about $1600 since 3/25 playing 2/4 and 3/6 limit on there, having cleared $440 of my $600 first deposit bonus. Is this really out of the ordinary for this site? I don't really have a frame of reference at this point. I was doing well at Pokerroom at similar limits, but I don't exactly crush the Foxwoods 4/8 limit game. Just wondering.O

....I then put $500 at UB and $500 at FullTilt and quickly learned there were a lot of tough players at both of those sites and I was never going to make a lot of money.  At this point, Party was looking pretty good.  Then I put $200 at Paradise which a promty lost playing 2/4 and I've never been back since.I finally settled back at Pacific which has been like an ATM machine for a whole year.  I'd recommend starting at Party or Pacific because there are a lot of bad  players on those sites.

I started with $50 and started keeping a daily blog of my poker games (see signature) back in January when it was around $90. I've had to cash out twice for 'life things', but have it back to $600 ish now and still goin. I am happy that I have been able to play poker about every single day for 7 months and not had to deposit again. Hoooray for proper bankroll management.

Guest Anonymous
i did it wrong, but i started with 20 bucks on pokerroom in early february. i played dollar, five dollar, and freeroll MTTs, and won about 100 dollars, and have kept the same sort of system, but moving up in buyins, and now my roll is about 3 grand and i've cashed out over 10 grand.
LOL.I put $35 in Absolute Poker, very soft micro limit rooms, started in the .1/.2. When I got to $200, moved to Party, which was too soon, should've waited til I got to $300(300XBB), there lowest room is .5/1 which is also soft. Although I moved up very fast to $1,900, I went on a bad run and lost around $700, I was playing 200xBB, and then started messin around in the $200NL rooms, that was dumb. I'm back to the 300xBB rule and movin up again.

I was always optimistic about playing online.. I found a site that would give people $75 bucks plus another 25 bucks after you hit 500 hands... I cleared my bonus got the full 100 and have been playing with it since... I let it build up and take 100 bucks out of it every so often.. I started playing .50/1.00 but since have moved on to 1/2... I'm sure alot of people have heard of the website but I dont want to sound like some spammer and list it... Pretty cool deal though..

Not to go off topic, but here it goes. I always hear that Full Tilt has a lot of tought players on it, and that it's not a good place to play. So I just have to ask, I am up about $1600 since 3/25 playing 2/4 and 3/6 limit on there, having cleared $440 of my $600 first deposit bonus. Is this really out of the ordinary for this site? I don't really have a frame of reference at this point. I was doing well at Pokerroom at similar limits, but I don't exactly crush the Foxwoods 4/8 limit game. Just wondering.O
I can't really speak to what's typical, only my experience... I was playing 5/10 and 8/16 and at the time the games were pretty limited and I was seeing the same people all the time. I'd go there and there would zero or one, 9 seat 5/10 game going. If there was one table there would be at least 2 people waiting for a seat, so that meant at least a 30 minutes wait for me. 90% of the people playing were very tight/aggressive. It was usually like playing a table full of clones. I just didn't see much use in that when I could go over to Pacific and find 5 or 6 easy 5/10 games to beat.Typical stats for a FullTilt 5/10 9 seat table: ave pot = $35-40 players/flop = 25-30%Typical stats for a Pacific 5/10 10 seat table: ave pot= $75-90 players/flop = 45-60%At Pacific, usually there are at least 1 or 2 people at the table that have no idea how to play good poker. It was very rare for me to encounter one of these people at FullTilt.

I have been playing poker since about february of last year. that is poker in general, live and online. Last year I won 1 limit tourney on party for 3k, came in 2nd and 3rd in 2 other limit tourneys these were MTT for about 2.5k total. also came in 7th in a NL tourney for about 600 for a 20 dollar investment and also 16th in the paradise 50k tourney for 550ish, as well as winning a 2 dollar rebuy on paradise for probably like 800 or so. I also had a run of turning 400 dollars into 3.2k in about 1 week playing Omaha on interpoker just trying to clear a 90 dollar bonus.For all the flamers out there, please don't b/c the only reason I am writing this is to tell you that as of 1 month ago I had absolutely nothing in my poker accounts across the internet. Total I won straight up in those tourneys and cash games of note almost 10k, but had no idea where it went, yeah i paid some back, played too many 30 dollar R/A on paradise for teh 50k tourney, and used a big chunk to pay off some debt which i have managed to still have anyways.Bankroll management is huge! now i am starting all over with 200 dollars playing 1/2 more b/c I do have to money to reload if needed but i also know that i can beat this game just want to take the time to refine my limit play before i start playing 2/4, i want to show a good profit for atleast 10k hand before moving up.ALso besides bankroll management i think you should sit down and write down a goal month to month/ set out a business plan of sorts. personally i limited my tournament play until i hit 2k. 2k is b/c that seems to be the optimal amount of BR to take advantage of so many bonuses w/o constantly jumping site to site with you entire BR and having to wait 48 hours to take your money off of pokerstars as i am now right now.anyone else that has taken a similar route i would love to talk about hwo you did it in more specific detail maybe lay out some help/ideas for those that are going through it now or even help others that have similar ideas. get into more specifics as chasing bonuses, websites to play, etc. just a thought.

Guess I'll have to check out one of those sites after I finish clearing the bonus. I should probably try out Party Poker with rakeback and all that.

I can't really speak to what's typical, only my experience... I was playing 5/10 and 8/16 and at the time the games were pretty limited and I was seeing the same people all the time. I'd go there and there would zero or one, 9 seat 5/10 game going. If there was one table there would be at least 2 people waiting for a seat, so that meant at least a 30 minutes wait for me. 90% of the people playing were very tight/aggressive. It was usually like playing a table full of clones. I just didn't see much use in that when I could go over to Pacific and find 5 or 6 easy 5/10 games to beat.Typical stats for a FullTilt 5/10 9 seat table: ave pot = $35-40 players/flop = 25-30%Typical stats for a Pacific 5/10 10 seat table: ave pot= $75-90 players/flop = 45-60%At Pacific, usually there are at least 1 or 2 people at the table that have no idea how to play good poker. It was very rare for me to encounter one of these people at FullTilt.

It all depends on how good a player you are. I started with $50 in one account and built it up to $700 in two months playing only sit and go tourneys. My recommendation would be to learn sit and go's. They are a safe way to build a bankroll. You only invest $5, $10 or $20 (those are the ones I play) and can win more with very little skill/strategy. Just remember to play tight at first and look for opportunities to steal blinds toward the end.