I really loved it, and it made me physically uncomfortable in parts. I saw it in 3D on a big screen, and am really thinking about seeing it again on IMAX.

Me too. I thought I was going to vomit throughout the whole thing basically. I thought it was fantastic and badly want to see it again.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Me too. I thought I was going to vomit throughout the whole thing basically. I thought it was fantastic and badly want to see it again.

I was uncomfortable because I was tense, not 3D motion sick barfy.

Shit, if it causes motion sickness I cant' watch it. I couldn't play half life 2 or portals because it made me motion sick

No, I was fine, and I get the first person shooter motion sickness like you do. (Even my beloved BioShock!)

• Like 1

Have you seen Gravity?

I haven't seen either, but I don't hear many people touting Captain Phillips as the better movie of the two. (I plan on seeing both very soon)

Have you seen Gravity?

I haven't seen either, but I don't hear many people touting Captain Phillips as the better movie of the two. (I plan on seeing both very soon)

I talked about Gravity two posts before the Cap'n Phil one.

http://deadspin.com/...ewed-1442424233

For what it's worth, I think you should see Gravity in 3D if you could only see one in the theater.

If you don't want to read the review, here is a good snippet that doesn't give anything away:

"Captain Phillips, Greengrass' best film since United 93, is ostensibly a cracker-jack thriller about the hijacking of the Maersk Alabama, the kidnapping of its captain, Richard Phillips, by Somali pirates in April 2009, and the Navy's attempts to rescue him. And in that way, it works splendidly: The movie's level of tension approaches that of last year's Zero Dark Thirty, particularly that film's last 30 minutes, so ratcheted up that it's almost unbearable. But Greengrass is not the sort of filmmaker who can simply make a movie about heroic Americans coming to save a scared captain from mean pirate men. This is a man who sees the humanity —the fact—in everything. The movie doesn't pause or slow down to understand its characters. Its understanding is there in every frame. You never forget the stakes."

"Captain Phillips is about what happens in that contained space, between scared people who don't know how they got there. But it's also about how they got there. This is a great film."

Saw Gravity. Loved it. Not much to add. The scene at the International space station (Second orbit of the shrapnel) was truly incredible. One of the best scenes in recent memory. next up: Captain Phillips.

Has anybody seen the Fake Steve McQueen movies (Hunger, Shamefassbenderdong)? I thought both were phenomenal, so I'm really looking forward to 12 Years a Slave. Chiwetel Ejiofor is good in pretty much everything (Children of Men, Dirty Pretty Things, Love Actually). Given FakeMcQueen's profile over the last few years, the nature of the story, and the quality of the actors, this thing has at least a 40% chance of winning best picture

If you don't want to read the review, here is a good snippet that doesn't give anything away:

"Captain Phillips, Greengrass' best film since United 93, is ostensibly a cracker-jack thriller about the hijacking of the Maersk Alabama, the kidnapping of its captain, Richard Phillips, by Somali pirates in April 2009, and the Navy's attempts to rescue him. And in that way, it works splendidly: The movie's level of tension approaches that of last year's Zero Dark Thirty, particularly that film's last 30 minutes, so ratcheted up that it's almost unbearable. But Greengrass is not the sort of filmmaker who can simply make a movie about heroic Americans coming to save a scared captain from mean pirate men. This is a man who sees the humanity —the fact—in everything. The movie doesn't pause or slow down to understand its characters. Its understanding is there in every frame. You never forget the stakes."

"Captain Phillips is about what happens in that contained space, between scared people who don't know how they got there. But it's also about how they got there. This is a great film."

You just had to tell me Greengrass directed it for me to assume it would be in the top 5 for the year. United 93 is incredible.

I'll see C. Phillips.

Has anybody seen the Fake Steve McQueen movies (Hunger, Shamefassbenderdong)? I thought both were phenomenal, so I'm really looking forward to 12 Years a Slave. Chiwetel Ejiofor is good in pretty much everything (Children of Men, Dirty Pretty Things, Love Actually). Given FakeMcQueen's profile over the last few years, the nature of the story, and the quality of the actors, this thing has at least a 40% chance of winning best picture

My understanding of Fake Steve McQueen movies (and I love that you're calling him Fake Steve McQueen because I don't know how long it took me to realize it wasn't the guy from Bullitt even though that Steve McQueen apparently died over 30 years ago) is that they are really good but are a tough watch and that 12 Years is no exception.

I have Hunger and FassbenderDong in my queue, but haven't been in the mood to watch them yet.

My understanding of Fake Steve McQueen movies (and I love that you're calling him Fake Steve McQueen because I don't know how long it took me to realize it wasn't the guy from Bullitt even though that Steve McQueen apparently died over 30 years ago) is that they are really good but are a tough watch and that 12 Years is no exception.

I have Hunger and FassbenderDong in my queue, but haven't been in the mood to watch them yet.

Yeah, I made the same mistake. I was like, "Where the hell did this late stage brilliance come from, Bullitt?!" Then I went to his Wikipedia page and it turns out Steve McQueen is a black man from London, which, come on what was I thinking?

World War Z: I like Pitt a lot. The movie wasn't great. The ending was predictable. None of the other principle actors were even slightly compelling. (With the possible exception of the main military guy in South Korea, but he had like 3 minutes of screen time)

This is the End: This is the 2nd time I've tried to watch it, and the 2nd time I've fallen asleep. I've heard from so many people that it's hilarious, that I'm sure I'll try a 3rd time at some point. The farthest I've gotten is Craig (black dude from The Office) goes outside for water and almost dies, then woke up in time for the credits.

The farthest I've gotten is Craig (black dude from The Office) goes outside for water and almost dies, then woke up in time for the credits.

The Office aired for 9 seasons. It's great that you can make such a vague statement as "black dude from The Office", and pretty much everyone will know who you're talking about.

This is the End: This is the 2nd time I've tried to watch it, and the 2nd time I've fallen asleep. I've heard from so many people that it's hilarious, that I'm sure I'll try a 3rd time at some point. The farthest I've gotten is Craig (black dude from The Office) goes outside for water and almost dies, then woke up in time for the credits.

The World's End > This is the End.