Ok, on the agenda for the week. In other news, I watched Wreck It Ralph today. Although...

What's the point of mentioning dying outside of your game results in a character actually dying when they're going to abandon it at the end. I won't lie I got a little emotional when it looked like Ralph was going to die. Oh well, it's for the kids.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

yes.

No.

Ok, on the agenda for the week. In other news, I watched Wreck It Ralph today. Although...

What's the point of mentioning dying outside of your game results in a character actually dying when they're going to abandon it at the end. I won't lie I got a little emotional when it looked like Ralph was going to die. Oh well, it's for the kids.

I don't know what you're talking about. Remind me how they abandoned it.

No.

I don't know what you're talking about. Remind me how they abandoned it.

Near the very end, Ralph dives towards the mentos/coke volcano thingy. He finally realizes that he'll never be the good guy, but he's willing to sacrifice himself so the other characters can live. But what's this? The little bitch Vanellope (sp?) decides to martyr-block him and rushes in to save him at the last moment. Why? Because little kids these days are pussies, and couldn't handle the death of a major character.

It was terrible. But I was able to laugh at how terrible it was.

I'd like more effort here, please. Tyler Perryvhas made a lot of movies, there's reasons his audience tunes in.

Nora Robb (author) has over 100 novels in print. When I read that, I checked out a bunch from the library. None of them are good, but there's a certain affection for characters, and celebration of smaller city living that I could see people liking.

Last movies I saw were Avengers and Magic Mike.

Avengers was an inadvertent rewatch--I didn't think I had seen it. It holds up well, my issue with those movies is I'm usually not that interested in the bad guy. The interesting stuff is watching all these borderline immortal people deal with each other.

Magic Mike was good. It looked great, Soderbergh makes a fantastic looking movie. I like Channing Tatum more than I think I do. He looks so meathead bro centric, and when he's onscreen, I just feel his ambition and charisma, like Zoe Saldana. The other guys (besides McConaughey) were distracting. They felt self aware on the screen, and weren't good dancers.

The movie was pretty gay, like the first half was Sons of Anarchy gay. I would have liked the movie more if the hetero love story was cut. The homoeroticism with the dancing was good.

I'd like more effort here, please. Tyler Perryvhas made a lot of movies, there's reasons his audience tunes in.

They tune in because they are black. Tyler Perry makes his movies for black people. They're awful, cliche filled hack fests with all black casts. Twy make money because black people go and see them because they star all black people.

The movie had no redeemable qualities. It was poorly written, terribly acted, stupidly directed, lazily edited and just overall trash. It was so bad it made me a racist. I went to see it only because I hope to one day have sex with a girl again and thought maybe this would help. It didnt and I hate myself for seeing it. I laughed at how pathetic it was. Any intelligent person would call it a disgrace to film. Tyler perry should be banned from making movies and probably killed for crimes against humanity.

• Like 1

OH SNAPS! the 50 million Elvis Fans can't be wrong argument, shit just got real!

They tune in because they are black. Tyler Perry makes his movies for black people. They're awful, cliche filled hack fests with all black casts. Twy make money because black people go and see them because they star all black people.

The movie had no redeemable qualities. It was poorly written, terribly acted, stupidly directed, lazily edited and just overall trash. It was so bad it made me a racist. I went to see it only because I hope to one day have sex with a girl again and thought maybe this would help. It didnt and I hate myself for seeing it. I laughed at how pathetic it was. Any intelligent person would call it a disgrace to film. Tyler perry should be banned from making movies and probably killed for crimes against humanity.

I was guessing the movies targeted audience would be middle class conservative, older, and wanted to see a certain kind of movie. I mean, be assured of the outcome and pacing before it starts. Like the churchy, Growing Pains movies without the church.

I still wonder what they do well, though. I hate fat suits and men in old lady drag so very very much, though.

Movies that may help with ladies--the Marvel universe, particularly The Avengers. Maybe apply some outdoorsy scent over your misanthropy as well.

Silver Linings Playbook.

I was surprised with how good it was. Just a really great movie. Mad at myself for making fun of its Oscar noms before seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Life of Pi. A truly beautiful movie, truly beautiful story telling. What's remarkable about it, is I think it's a Rorschach test of a movie. The meaning I got out of the movie, I imagine many would have the exact opposite. Beautiful stuff.

The Great Gatsby

Liked it, didn't love it. Haven't read the book, so this was my first introduction to the story.

I liked what most of the critics hated: The modern soundtrack, over-stylized visuals, party scenes. I Found all of the characters un-sympathetic to the point where I completely didn't care what happened to any of them. I realize that's kinda the point of the movie, but it felt like the movie was trying to make me sympathize with Gatsby. I might watch it again with a different mindset.

The Great Gatsby

Liked it, didn't love it. Haven't read the book, so this was my first introduction to the story.

I liked what most of the critics hated: The modern soundtrack, over-stylized visuals, party scenes. I Found all of the characters un-sympathetic to the point where I completely didn't care what happened to any of them. I realize that's kinda the point of the movie, but it felt like the movie was trying to make me sympathize with Gatsby. I might watch it again with a different mindset.

I felt the same way, the things it's getting killed about I loved. I thought the over stylized set up of the movie, was setting up the punches of when the party is over. It's the after party, that's whats interesting. The emptiness of all the artifice, of that entire lifestyle.

Here's the problem, I think Gatsby is a beautifully written book but what works on the page in the context of a early 20th century modernist novel, doesn't work on the big screen. I think the character development, and dialog was weak. I think, for a movie, that Gatsby is a great Archetype. A great idea for the subject of a movie, but taking the literally words and dialog and characters from the movie, I don't think that works as well.

I'd rather see someone make a remake Gatsby in a contemporary setting. Setting up Gatsby as a modern drug dealer, instead of 20's bootlegger, would be a great deal more relevant. I could see it as a Hip hop fairy tale, or a more traditional gatsby who rises to wealth in semi legal medical marijuana.

Here's the problem, I think Gatsby is a beautifully written book but what works on the page in the context of a early 20th century modernist novel, doesn't work on the big screen. I think the character development, and dialog was weak. I think, for a movie, that Gatsby is a great Archetype. A great idea for the subject of a movie, but taking the literally words and dialog and characters from the movie, I don't think that works as well.

I'd rather see someone make a remake Gatsby in a contemporary setting. Setting up Gatsby as a modern drug dealer, instead of 20's bootlegger, would be a great deal more relevant. I could see it as a Hip hop fairy tale, or a more traditional gatsby who rises to wealth in semi legal medical marijuana.

Well said. I agree that a modern remake would have been great.

Luhrman kinda did that already to Romeo and Juliet, and I liked the results. Feels like he went half-way here.

Side by Side

It's a documentary that came out last year, available on Netflix. It features Keanu Reeves speaking to leading film makers about the quality and process of film versus digital video.

I liked this film a lot--there are some of the biggest names talking about their creative process. Some of it is unintentionally funny.

Life of Pi. A truly beautiful movie, truly beautiful story telling. What's remarkable about it, is I think it's a Rorschach test of a movie. The meaning I got out of the movie, I imagine many would have the exact opposite. Beautiful stuff.

I loved the movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw This is the End last night. I can't remember the first pure comedy I saw on opening weekend. The Concept was so weird and got such good reviews, that I decided to give it a shot.

It was really funny in parts, and extremely clever. There were some things they didn't quite pull off, and they went for some cheap jokes here and there, but overall I was pretty impressed by it.