• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

I forget the name of the last movie I saw, but it was crazy long and really picked up steam towards the end. It was the story of a wealthy family, who lost everything, and the various people who had no choice but to keep them all together. Near the end one of the characters suggested turning it into a TV show.

I forget the name of the last movie I saw, but it was crazy long and really picked up steam towards the end. It was the story of a wealthy family, who lost everything, and the various people who had no choice but to keep them all together. Near the end one of the characters suggested turning it into a TV show.

2 Broke Girls!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

World War Z. I'm probably going to see it again before I make my final judgement. Right now I'm around a B or B+ rating.

I'm a bit torn. It's not World War Z but it's a fairly enjoyable apocalyptic film. There is one part that copies part of a chapter of the book (one of my favorite chapters btw) and that's about it. The only reason this movie couldn't have been done under a title like 28 days later part 3 is that knowing how/where the infection started would negate the story line of the movie but it could've easily been separated entirely from the book with deletion/modification of about 20 minutes of the film. Yet another instance of hollywood buying the rights to a book and then only using the most basic, skeletal structure of the book and none of what makes the story good/interesting/unique. Not as egregious an offender as say I Am Legend but still guilty. I guess I just have to accept the fact that the entertainment industry is determined to take many things I enjoy and shit all over them.

There were a few times where I found myself thinking that some of the things the character said or did really didn't make sense or would contradict the premise of the story. For instance, the protagonist sees a guy get bit and change in a matter of seconds. At a later point in the film, it's mentioned that some take 10 minutes or so to change. In the interim a military commander mentions how air travle was perfect for spreading the infection which doesn't make sense if the disease moves that fast. My manager is thinking of taking the team this week as a reward type thing so I'm going to try to pay attention to some of the more deus ex machina or plot hole type scenes to see if maybe I just missed something or not. On the upside, there were some parts that I thought were well done in terms of the survivalist approach or societal collapse.

ok has anybody talked about cabin by the woods in here yet? I just saw it tonight and that shit was GNARLY. I loved it. it started off like a typical terrible teen horror movie, but as it got going, it got awesome and fucking hilarious. I don't think anybody in the theater thought it was quite as hilarious as me, but it was definitely meant to be that way, and it definitely was. I highly recommend it.edit: cabin IN the woods. thought I had written cabin by the lake, but at least I got the woods part wright. it's the movie about people getting killed in a cabin.

Just watched it. The last 20 minutes were totally unexpected and totally awesome.

World War Z. I'm probably going to see it again before I make my final judgement. Right now I'm around a B or B+ rating.

I'm a bit torn. It's not World War Z but it's a fairly enjoyable apocalyptic film. There is one part that copies part of a chapter of the book (one of my favorite chapters btw) and that's about it. The only reason this movie couldn't have been done under a title like 28 days later part 3 is that knowing how/where the infection started would negate the story line of the movie but it could've easily been separated entirely from the book with deletion/modification of about 20 minutes of the film. Yet another instance of hollywood buying the rights to a book and then only using the most basic, skeletal structure of the book and none of what makes the story good/interesting/unique. Not as egregious an offender as say I Am Legend but still guilty. I guess I just have to accept the fact that the entertainment industry is determined to take many things I enjoy and shit all over them.

There were a few times where I found myself thinking that some of the things the character said or did really didn't make sense or would contradict the premise of the story. For instance, the protagonist sees a guy get bit and change in a matter of seconds. At a later point in the film, it's mentioned that some take 10 minutes or so to change. In the interim a military commander mentions how air travle was perfect for spreading the infection which doesn't make sense if the disease moves that fast. My manager is thinking of taking the team this week as a reward type thing so I'm going to try to pay attention to some of the more deus ex machina or plot hole type scenes to see if maybe I just missed something or not. On the upside, there were some parts that I thought were well done in terms of the survivalist approach or societal collapse.

I liked it, but I don't have much desire to see it again. I think the book could've been turned into a pretty awesome mini-series, but even a pretty awesome mini-series isn't going to make $200m.

Kill Bill (Part One)

I don't know, I had a yen to see this movie. It's good, but this time it felt longer. I think it's my fault. I'm a good audience member when I watch a tv show, or see a movie in the theater, or watch a movie at home with friends. When I watch a movie at home by myself I'm so scattered in my thoughts--and QT's style seems to exacerbate the issue. He's all over the place with his story telling and references, and I find myself reaching for my computer or phone to check, what? If I need to check things on Wikipedia during the movie, either the filmmaker has failed, or I've failed.

It's good--I have on my list of things to do to look at Part Two again, soon. The animated sequence felt unnecessary, like it was put in to remind everyone that this is an homage to films of a certain style, not that this sequence especially needed to be in this movie.

I've always thought Part Two has more of those long, slow-down moments that get kind of tedious. But it also has burying alive, and an eyeball being plucked out.

Do you feel the same way watching other QT stuff? The long dialogue is always there...if you only watch the intro scene of Inglorious half-heartedly, it probably isn't very enthralling. Part of why the subtitles work so well for him, actually. Gotta pay attention and read every word for the full effect.

The thing to remember with Kill Bill 1 was, when it came out we'd been waiting for a QT movie for SO long. Jackie Brown was the only solo movie he'd made since pulp fiction, and while I like it now, at the time it seemed a let down. Then, he started doing projects like 4 rooms and trying to be an actor, and we waited and waited and waited for a new movie. When I heard that his new one was a genre kung fu movie, It was SO exciting, so seeing that in the theatre, the first time.. it was amazing. It was EXACTLY what I wanted in a QT Kung fu, stylized, ultra violent.

No, the cartoon sequence was unnecessary, but much of what QT does is unnecessary. It was entertaining on it's own, and that's the important part. WHen I first saw KB2, I Was let down, because it was so much of a slower than KB1.. I was really into Kung Fu movies at the time, and I wanted more hyper violent kung fu action, and I didn't get it. Upon further viewings, I like KB2 much more than I did before, but I still think Carradine was an awful choice for bill. The Climax is awful because he's so old, and such a bad actor. That climax scene is so important, and it falls flat because of his terrible acting, physically and otherwise. Over all though, I think KB2 is tremendous.

Since QT has released a couple movies since, it's easier to judge kill bill. QT has always been an amalgam of styles. Sometimes they are a well mixed soup as in Jackie Brown or Django. And some times they are rough cut salad, like in Kill Bill. I think Bill is his most "tossed salad" of movies. I don't think that makes it bad at all, I think the jarring mixture of styles is interesting.

• Like 1

Does a thread exist like this for TV shows? Looking for some new recommendations. I'm on my phone and don't feel like trying to use the search feature.

Nevermind, I see that each TV show seems to have its own thread. Meh, we should just throw them all into one thread like this one.

Thanks Dubey, I'll check it out. Just finished up House of Cards season 1 on Netflix. Really enjoyed it even though certain episodes moved along slowly. Also just bought Season 5 of Breaking Bad so I'll be diving into that soon enough.

So you finally came around on the Kill Bill's. IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME!

I think you're confusing me with someone else. I've always been a big fan of KB1. KB2 took some warming up to, but I never hated it or anything. I just think if you have BIll be someone like, I dunno, clooney or something, I think you could have had a much more satisfying climax. Carradine brought nothing.

Nevermind, I see that each TV show seems to have its own thread. Meh, we should just throw them all into one thread like this one.

The reason I don't think we do that for TV shows, is TV shows are ever producing more content. Where a MOvie has ~90-180 minutes of content, TV shows have ~12-24 hours of it per season. Each season brings new characters, new plot developments, scenes to react to, rumors to react to, and on and on. It would be hard to keep track of all the different conversation threads within a omnibus TV thread.

I think you're confusing me with someone else. I've always been a big fan of KB1. KB2 took some warming up to, but I never hated it or anything. I just think if you have BIll be someone like, I dunno, clooney or something, I think you could have had a much more satisfying climax. Carradine brought nothing.

The reason it was Carradine is because QT has a 70s fetish. His "amalgam of styles" is, in large part, a hodge podge of 70s grindhouse film genres he loved to watch.

Flight: I really liked it. It's very Leaving Las Vegasy, which is a good thing in this case. Denzsel is a good actor. It's also very relavant because of the SFO mess.

Skyfall: The best part of the movie was the opening credits with Adele. I'm not really a Bond guy. I think all of them are amazingly cheesy, although I thought this was the best one with Daniel Craig.

Argo: Good, but I'm definitely cooling on Afleck. The fake buildup of fake 'suspense' at the end was not only stupid and amateurish, but it didn't happen. In real life, they just walked on the plane and left. Fake suspension is the worst, and it totally yanks me out of a movie. It feels like just a cheap trick. It's absolutely ridiculous that Argo won best picture. It should have placed no better than 5th out of those nominated. Did the voters not watch Django or:

Zero Dark Thirty: Amazing. This movie is very similar to Argo, in that it's largely about behind the scene miltary stuff, but made with an immensely talented director. I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie and I loved it. This and United 93 should be required viewing for the next 100 years. Probably should have won the Oscar for best picture, but I could be talked into Lincoln or Django as well. (I haven't seen Lincoln yet, but if someone I trusted told me it was great, I could be talked into it)

Silver Linings Playbook: It's good. Cooper is extremely likeable. I thought Lawerence was good, but there is no way she deserved the Oscar in the category she was nominated in, even though it was a weak year, I would put her in a solid 3rd place, and maybe weak 2nd. She's quite fetching though.

Garden State: Kindof boring. I don't think it was great, but 'coming of age' stories rarely work for me. Juno stands out, but it's hard for these movies to work. Natalie Portman was cute and wonderful in the movie.

Almost Famous: Very good, although I don't think I'll see it again. I definitely understand the critical acclaim. I enjoyed the ending.

Silver Linings Playbook: It's good. Cooper is extremely likeable. I thought Lawerence good, but there is no way she deserved the Oscar in the category she was nominated in, even though it was a weak year, I would put her in a solid 3rd place, and maybe weak 2nd. She's quite fetching though.

When I was a little boy all my female classmates loved Dicaprio because he was soooooo cute. I was like, "That dude? REally? Total queer."

As I got older I began to respect him more because of his acting abilities. I think the same thing might be happening with Cooper and the younger generation today. Granted Dicaprio >>>>>> Cooper in acting, but I still think he's pretty good.