• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got 120 stars with mario just the other night
Me too. Gonna put Galaxy away for a bit and revisit with Luigi later in the year so it's a little less fresh in my mind. I did get one star with Luigi last night just to try it out and his sliding thing looks to be a bit annoying, should be fun. Reflecting back I enjoyed the timed purple coin missions a lot more than I thought I would, the other purple coin missions seemed very boring. My last 3 stars to get were Luigi's purple coins, Dreadnaught purple and the ghost ship purple in that order which made the final star very anti-climatic. I think the gizmo rolling ball challenge was probably my favorite sequence, especially since it was one of the few tougher boards that I completed without dying at all. One thing I noticed about the dreadnaught purple that I found interesting was that toward the end of the 1st half of the board (when you're still side scrolling a little bit after the whomp thing) I missed a coin and tried to double back for it. I managed to get it but fell back to another section that I completed and thought I would have to just jump off and re-start the board, to my surprise the moving platform reappeared and I hopped on and went through about 5 seconds of screen that I already completed and after that picked right back up collecting the purples. That was helpful as well as the youtube clip that someone made of a map of Luigi's purple and that spinning really helps. gg.
Me too. Gonna put Galaxy away for a bit and revisit with Luigi later in the year so it's a little less fresh in my mind. I did get one star with Luigi last night just to try it out and his sliding thing looks to be a bit annoying, should be fun. Reflecting back I enjoyed the timed purple coin missions a lot more than I thought I would, the other purple coin missions seemed very boring. My last 3 stars to get were Luigi's purple coins, Dreadnaught purple and the ghost ship purple in that order which made the final star very anti-climatic. I think the gizmo rolling ball challenge was probably my favorite sequence, especially since it was one of the few tougher boards that I completed without dying at all. One thing I noticed about the dreadnaught purple that I found interesting was that toward the end of the 1st half of the board (when you're still side scrolling a little bit after the whomp thing) I missed a coin and tried to double back for it. I managed to get it but fell back to another section that I completed and thought I would have to just jump off and re-start the board, to my surprise the moving platform reappeared and I hopped on and went through about 5 seconds of screen that I already completed and after that picked right back up collecting the purples. That was helpful as well as the youtube clip that someone made of a map of Luigi's purple and that spinning really helps. gg.
nice write up lol, i have 20 some stars with Luigi now... just cruisin along but it is a lot tougher this time around. Now sMASh Brothers Brawl should be the next awesome game to come out for teh wii.

Ship me Luigi! I hadn't played in awhile and decided it was time to beat the damn game. Luigi's purple coins I beat surprisingly easily (2nd try), but I think the Dreadnaught purple coins was the toughest level. Battlerock purple coins was pretty easy once I actually tried it. I like what they did with Luigi, it really is different and harder than using Mario.

Ship me Luigi! I hadn't played in awhile and decided it was time to beat the damn game. Luigi's purple coins I beat surprisingly easily (2nd try), but I think the Dreadnaught purple coins was the toughest level. Battlerock purple coins was pretty easy once I actually tried it. I like what they did with Luigi, it really is different and harder than using Mario.
I find Luigi real hard to control. He runs and can't stop himself, it's kind of like running on ice.
I find Luigi real hard to control. He runs and can't stop himself, it's kind of like running on ice.
I am only about 20 stars in with him but it's not too difficult - either just keep moving or jump a lot :club:. I feel like his long jump is better than Mario's, but mebbe not.
Windwaker is pretty fantastic. Probably one of my favorite games ever. It's difficult to comepare it to something like Link to the Past which is certainly one of the best games of all time. I may have liked WW more than OoT. I don't think I loved Ocarina as much as everybody else did, but I thought it was great. I thought Majora's Mask was really meh.
Yeah I still really think Windwaker is amazing, and I kind of want to get it for the Wii and play it again. The animation I think is really pretty, everything looks very smooth and natural in a cartoon style, similar to Galaxy. And as far as the 3D games, WW has more roaming/discovery than any Zelda or other type of game I've played. If I remember right the map is 7x7, so there are 49 islands, each a pretty decent 2-minute journey by boat to the next, and with all sorts of platforms, submarines, treasure chests, enemies etc along the way, and you could just sail around and explore the ocean. And on another note, Luigi swims so well!!!! It's not that much different than Mario, but it really makes me annoyed at Mario's swimming abilities :club:. I also love that they ship you 20 lives every time you start up.
Yeah I still really think Windwaker is amazing, and I kind of want to get it for the Wii and play it again. The animation I think is really pretty, everything looks very smooth and natural in a cartoon style, similar to Galaxy. And as far as the 3D games, WW has more roaming/discovery than any Zelda or other type of game I've played. If I remember right the map is 7x7, so there are 49 islands, each a pretty decent 2-minute journey by boat to the next, and with all sorts of platforms, submarines, treasure chests, enemies etc along the way, and you could just sail around and explore the ocean. And on another note, Luigi swims so well!!!! It's not that much different than Mario, but it really makes me annoyed at Mario's swimming abilities :club:. I also love that they ship you 20 lives every time you start up.
I have never played Windwaker... i thought it was only on DS, is it coming out for WII too? I am a Zelda fan (just downloaded the original onto my wii) so i imagine i would <3 this game.
I have never played Windwaker... i thought it was only on DS, is it coming out for WII too? I am a Zelda fan (just downloaded the original onto my wii) so i imagine i would <3 this game.
Windwalker was never on the DS. It was a GameCube title that you can play on your Wii, check used bins at local gaming shops and find a cheap copy.
  • 2 weeks later...
i cannot for the life of me beat bouldergeist with the daredevil comet. am i retarded?
Just takes a little practice. The quicker that you do it, the faster that you can try it again and the less time you have to get hit. You realize that you can pick up two Boo-Bombs at the same time, right? (Incidentally, they're one of my favorite things in the game.)Also, you can shoot star bits at the the rocks while they're being thrown at you.

I kind of think patience is the key with that one. If you don't have a decent amount of time to run in with the bomb I would just keep running and wait for a better spot. I prefer running counter-clockwise.

Also, the closer you stay to him, the faster it will be while you spin with the bombs that they hit him. If you're far away, it will take too long to hit him with the bombs while you're spinning.

kk, ty for advice. most of the trouble seems to be when he shoots the rocks up out of the ground. for some reason, i can't react quickly enough to them and they rock me. (ha.)

kk, ty for advice. most of the trouble seems to be when he shoots the rocks up out of the ground. for some reason, i can't react quickly enough to them and they rock me. (ha.)
just always stay moving in a circular fashion around the perimeter when he shoots rocks, that's the best way I found to avoid them

Luigi was different to control in super mario 2 for the snes too. He had that "running on ice" effect. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

ok, i got bouldergeist (finally) but the daredevil runs in general are putting me on monkey tilt.it also seems like there are only 105 stars? i have all but two available (one of which is bowser--i don't want to beat the game till i get all the other stars), but there doesn't seem to be any others, including secret stars?

The rest would be the purple coin stars that open after you defeat Bowser
OOOOOH i saw some posts whining about how tough the purple coins were, but i was like "wtf, you can't even die on that level rly." LOL.
In retrospect I think the melty molten daredevil run was tougher than any of the purple coin challenges.
I got that one second try, There are a few purple coin levels I haven't even bothered to go back and try since I shelved this for other games.