Incredibly Messed Up Story

Is it weird that my main grievance is with what a poor work of journalism/writing this is? The language is bizarre, setting awkward and inappropriate moods, and it's treated at times like a soft piece, despite the subject-matter. It's not only manipulative but it's really bad at it.
it also made her mom look like an ******* which i thought was not ok even if that was an accurate portrayal of what happened (when the kids were making fun of her in bulletins and her mom's main concern was that she didn't sign off yet).
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow..i definitely did not read any of thatsounds like her parents were ****ing morons tho
It actually sounds like her parents were doing a great job, which is also scary. Did anyone see Kitchen Nightmares tonight? I wanted to punch that food critic in the neck.
It actually sounds like her parents were doing a great job, which is also scary.
The parents bought into the idea that some random cute boy from Florida just happened upon their Ohio daughter's Myspace and struck up a friendship with her. How do you not call bullshit when something like that happens? Hell, hot girls from all over the place send me Myspace messages and friend requests all the time, I just delete them as obvious spam sent by some 40 year old guy from Tampa sitting at home in his underwear. I would have instantly thought "scam or sexual predator" if it was my daughter...INSTANTLY. They weren't doing a great job, they were barely paying attention. I'm obviously not going to say they deserved this, because no one deserves to lose their kid, but you need to at least try to be less gullible than your kid when it comes to the internet.

Myspace is a complete waste of time that robs people and businesses of their productivity.It's one big glorified "Look at me!", on a grand scale. meh.. I hate it.

The parents bought into the idea that some random cute boy from Florida just happened upon their Ohio daughter's Myspace and struck up a friendship with her. How do you not call bullshit when something like that happens? Hell, hot girls from all over the place send me Myspace messages and friend requests all the time, I just delete them as obvious spam sent by some 40 year old guy from Tampa sitting at home in his underwear. I would have instantly thought "scam or sexual predator" if it was my daughter...INSTANTLY. They weren't doing a great job, they were barely paying attention. I'm obviously not going to say they deserved this, because no one deserves to lose their kid, but you need to at least try to be less gullible than your kid when it comes to the internet.
very true
dude come on, how much detective work are these parents really supposed to do? the fake guy had a pretty rock solid story about where he was from, his family history, how he found her (st charles and o'fallon are about 20 miles away, so same vicinity). obviously it all turned out to be false, but that was because someone who knew her intimately specifically targeted her. the only way they could really have avoided this would be to deny her use of myspace at all, and I would think that to be pretty damn overprotective. everything I read from the story tells me that megan's parents did 5 times more investigating into their daughter's online activity in order to protect her than 95% of all other parents in general.this wasn't just some random spam message on myspace, it was a calculated attack by grown ups to manipulate a little girl and to emotionally destroy her. megan's parents did everything the could from what the article said, and did FAR more than the majority of parents throughout this country.
dude come on, how much detective work are these parents really supposed to do? the fake guy had a pretty rock solid story about where he was from, his family history, how he found her (st charles and o'fallon are about 20 miles away, so same vicinity). obviously it all turned out to be false, but that was because someone who knew her intimately specifically targeted her. the only way they could really have avoided this would be to deny her use of myspace at all, and I would think that to be pretty damn overprotective. everything I read from the story tells me that megan's parents did 5 times more investigating into their daughter's online activity in order to protect her than 95% of all other parents in general.this wasn't just some random spam message on myspace, it was a calculated attack by grown ups to manipulate a little girl and to emotionally destroy her. megan's parents did everything the could from what the article said, and did FAR more than the majority of parents throughout this country.
Yeah, it appears that the parents read every bit of correspondence, reading over the daughter's shoulder. The daughter didn't even have the password. It sounds to me like they were suspicious, but weren't about to let their daughter get into trouble. Unfortunately, it all fell apart one time when they had to leave the house for a few minutes, just enough time to crush the daughter.

I prefer this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EndangermentIt's usually paired with the word reckless (Reckless Endangerment)Here's the passage that I thought applied...

Child endangerment: placing a child in a potentially harmful situation, either through negligence or misconduct. Reckless endangerment: A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. “Reckless” conduct is conduct that exhibits a culpable disregard of foreseeable consequences to others from the act or omission involved. The accused need not intentionally cause a resulting harm or know that his conduct is substantially certain to cause that result. The ultimate question is whether, under all the circumstances, the accused’s conduct was of that heedless nature that made it actually or imminently dangerous to the rights or safety of others.
Brad's not 40 yet.
While I agree that the Adults who pulled their little "hoax" are scum, there is something to be said for monitoring your OWN child's actions and emotional levels.
Parents of MySpace hoax victim seek justice‘No apologies’ over teen who hanged herself over failed romance, kin sayhttp://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21882976/?GT1=10547
...and the minute an "apology" is offered is the same minute a civil lawsuit is filed by the other Parents.BTW: This happened OVER a year ago. The Victim parents are just now engaging in a campaign for "Justice" for Megan
jesus christ how can the parents down the street not be charged with some sort of negligent manslaughter/homicide/somethingoranother?
I agree, but I guess there's no law to cover it. At least they got outed in the media though - of course it didn't say their name but I'm sure anybody who lives in the town or knows them will know who it is.
Yeah she's a real looker...tdy_lauer_myspaceparents_071119.300w.jpg
ive seen better faces on a ? (i tried to think of something funny, but all i could come up with was milk carton, and thats not that funny, so i gave up trying...thus, i leave this challenge to you, my friends in the forum)