I Need Some Book Recomendations

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainbow Six is OK, but I really like some of Clancy's other work, namely Without Remorse and Debt of Honor. You don't need to read Without Remorse in order, but it helps if you start at the beginning with Hunt for Red October to see Jack Ryan's role evolve, but I wouldn't say its absolutely necessary.
Jack Ryan is not in Rainbow Six, at least not yet and I am 100 pages in.
I just started reading the Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. About 100 pages in, so far it's pretty good.
this was good and the movie is coming out in December. I'm hoping it won't be a debacle like Eragon.keep in mind you have to read the next two books, its a trilogy so the end just leads into another one.
this was good and the movie is coming out in December. I'm hoping it won't be a debacle like Eragon.keep in mind you have to read the next two books, its a trilogy so the end just leads into another one.
Oh yes I got the series from my Brother in Law. He also said there was a fourth book coming out? or maybe he meant that the movie was coming out. Either way 200 pages in and now I'm hooked, it's a really fun read.
keep in mind you have to read the next two books, its a trilogy so the end just leads into another one.
Thats hilarious, and it reminds me of when I watched Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring with my Dad. I tell him all about how awesome the movies are and all that, so he finnally agrees to watch it. So we get some beers, some chips, some pizza and watch the thing. Eventually it ends and the first thing my Dad says is, "WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ENDING WAS THAT? WHAT HAPPENS TO FRODO? THE RING? WHAT THE HELL?" I kid you not, he didnt know it was a trilogy. I never laughed so hard in my life.

just read Grisham' new non-fiction work. I found it interestingI'm not sure of the authors, but two books that I really liked wereThe ListThe Detective (about a former priest that lost his faith, was a detective and had an interesting crime. good read)Scott Turow wrote one and I'm thinking Steve Martini wrote the otherif you like sports and history at all, read Dick Schaap's autobiography. Great readMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Great book

silentplanet.jpgI was skeptical about this book, but after I read the entire series, it was AWESOME! Don't let the fact that he wrote the Narnia series fool you, awesome books.

All books written by Stephen CoyleGreatest ground warfare writer ever.Fantasy: Stephen Donaldson's White Gold Wielder seriesSpy: Vince FlynnUnbelievablely uncomfortable: Bill Orielly's novel he wrote about a great lover that kills the people that crossed him and surprisingly had an identical life as Bill ORiellyFunny: Hitchhikers ( Must like Birtish humor )More Funny: Who's your caddyEducational: Play Poker Like the Pros by Phil Hellmuth

Jack Ryan is not in Rainbow Six, at least not yet and I am 100 pages in.
WR and RS are two of the spinoffs of the Jack Ryan novels focusing on the John Clark character (with WR being his backstory and which they are looking at turning into a film). Debt of Honor and Executive Orders are basically one huge story. The Bear and the Dragon is another good one. 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001 were interesting.The Godfather was fantastic even if you've seen the movie a brazillion times it adds so many great facets to the story.
If a mod stumbles into this thread, he or she should change the title of this thread to "What Books Are You Currently Reading?"
I'm reading The Collectors by David Baldacci (giving Baldacci another shot even though I really didn't like Absolute Power when I read it about 5 years ago). It's actually very good, fast paced political crime drama. I'm enjoying it, haven't really had time to read anything that wasn't on the internet in the past few months.
I'm reading The Collectors by David Baldacci (giving Baldacci another shot even though I really didn't like Absolute Power when I read it about 5 years ago). It's actually very good, fast paced political crime drama. I'm enjoying it, haven't really had time to read anything that wasn't on the internet in the past few months.
You should read The Camel Club. It's the book before this one and features most of the same characters. Though I'm not sure how reading them out of order will affect your experience.
You should read The Camel Club. It's the book before this one and features most of the same characters. Though I'm not sure how reading them out of order will affect your experience.
Well crap, I didn't know that...Oh well, too late now. I'll definitely do that, thanks.
Well crap, I didn't know that...Oh well, too late now. I'll definitely do that, thanks.
I have a great idea with the possibility of ruining both of the books for you. It would involve stopping where you are at in this book, buying The Camel Club, reading that and then finishing the Collectors. But, I'll keep that idea to myself.
I have a great idea with the possibility of ruining both of the books for you. It would involve stopping where you are at in this book, buying The Camel Club, reading that and then finishing the Collectors. But, I'll keep that idea to myself.
LOL, I just finished it about ten minutes ago (I work nights). Thanks anyway. I guess the same characters are in his most recent book (Stone Cold) too, so I'll probably pick that and The Camel Club up this weekend. The Collectors was really good.

The Things They Carried...great book about Vietnam, Im about half way throught it right now, its fiction but written like non-fiction and very goodThe Devil in the White City is also a good book about the 1893 World's Fair and a serial murderer

LOL, I just finished it about ten minutes ago (I work nights). Thanks anyway. I guess the same characters are in his most recent book (Stone Cold) too, so I'll probably pick that and The Camel Club up this weekend. The Collectors was really good.
I read camel club, and the collectors recently, but I could not find stone cold at Barnes n noble, is it out yet?

I'm surprised noone on here has mentioned Robert B Parker's Spenser novels or James Patterson's Alex Cross series. Parker creates a very real, witty character in the form of a private detective from Boston and Patterson's Cross is a DC detective w/ a doctorate in psychology and usually deals with psychopaths (creepy b/c he teels part of the story from thier pespective). 2 of my faves, but I basically like all the books mentioned on here - Grisham, Clancy, Harry Potter (ya i kno i kno), Catch-22...

Another good bookFly BoysThe author wrote the book Flags of our Fathers.Great book.And the entire collection of Encyclopedia Brown will keep you up late...

Another good bookFly BoysThe author wrote the book Flags of our Fathers.Great book.And the entire collection of Encyclopedia Brown will keep you up late...
I bought that for my grandpa (the one I sent you pics of w/ the plane) and my wife grandpa, he actually worked on the Manhattan project and helped create the deployment system for "The Bomb".Interesting side note, he actually has schematics of a nuclear warhead that he design the launcing system for in his back bedroom at his home. Pretty freaking cool.
If you are looking for some poker related literature, I enjoyed Jim McManus's "Positively Fifth Street." Has anybody else read that?
It was good. Very entertaining. Keeping it gambling related: Banker, Professor, and the Suicide King was pretty good (Andy Beal story)And Amarillo Slim in a World of Fat people was good too