Who Died Today?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's colder than that, now.

When DFW died, Chorozzo made a disrespectful comment, and I slowly willed him into the grave over it. I didn't love Prince less than I loved DFW.

jesus would somebody fucking just die already so we can get a break in the music snobbery here?

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

RIP Stompin Tom Connors

• 4 weeks later...

Holy s@#$*, I would have felt like such a huge sack of s$%# if I was that dude. ************. What an idiot.

That being said, I'm glad he now realizes how big of douchebag he was, and that he has to live with that the rest of his life.

One more thing, thankfully that was written like 3 years ago, so hopefully Roger got to read it.

EDIT: Yep... he read it.

• Like 1

Honestly though, Leich had a point (though he ****ed over a friend in the douchest possible way to make the point) . Ebert had gotten very stale there for a while. And then he got cancer. And couldn't appear on TV. Or talk. And he started writing ALOT. I honestly think his best writing came in the past few years, because he was forced to do it all the time, he had no other way of expressing himself. Beautiful and tragic. Man, I'll miss him.

• Like 1

That being said, I'm glad he now realizes how big of douchebag he was, and that he has to live with that the rest of his life.

He knows what he did was wrong and he apologized and the apology was accepted and you still want him to feel bad for the rest of his life? I mean, he probably will always regret it, but that seems kind of cruel to wish that upon someone.

watching "at the movies" as a kid was the first time I'd seen people, other than some of my "artsy-fartsy" family members, discuss films as something more than entertainment pieces. an earnest discussion of a movie as more than a simple distraction from everyday life. to me, he and siskel made critical thinking about films accessible to the common man. he made it more acceptable to not be accepting of mediocrity or banality in entertainment and that's not a bad thing at all.

Pretty much the same for me, hank. I didn't read Ebert until I went to college and really not a whole lot till after. A friend of mine had a book of his bad reviews, which was hilarious, and that really turned me onto him as a writer. But, it wasn't till he lost his voice, that I really started paying attention to his writing, his blog, his reviews. Just a remarkable writer. It made me wish I had paid more attention to his writing when I was younger.

I saw a number of movies in high school because of their reviews, Pulp Fiction being the most significant.. in many ways they changed the way I looked at movies, what I expected of movies.

I saw a number of movies in high school because of their reviews, Pulp Fiction being the most significant.. in many ways they changed the way I looked at movies, what I expected of movies.

The movies that changed the way I watch movies are Shoah, and In The Company of Men. I'm not sure I can articulate it that well--I think both of these movies have similar themes. The theme of a morally bankrupt idea which is sold convincingly. The audience goes along with the morally bankrupt idea (with the onscreen characters) and then go home hating themselves.

I remember clearly seeing Company of Men the first time, it was part of a stretch of 3 movies I saw, that with Happiness and Requiem for a dream, that made me think "what the fuk is going on in hollywood, with all these nihilistic films..

I remember clearly seeing Company of Men the first time, it was part of a stretch of 3 movies I saw, that with Happiness and Requiem for a dream, that made me think "what the fuk is going on in hollywood, with all these nihilistic films..

What was happening, sir, is they were tapping into my dark heart. Now go watch Glengarry Glen Ross, and know that we're all working for a set of steak knives.

• 1 month later...