Who Died Today?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's colder than that, now.

When DFW died, Chorozzo made a disrespectful comment, and I slowly willed him into the grave over it. I didn't love Prince less than I loved DFW.

jesus would somebody fucking just die already so we can get a break in the music snobbery here?

Posted Images

In fairness, that was Winnie's MO, not Nelson's. If I were going to throw stones at Mandela, it would not be for his revolutionary ideals pre-Apartheid's fall (as south africa was a society in dire need of a revolution), it was the way he crassly sold those ideals out Post-apartheid to form a cult of personality and form a ruling elite, while the average black South african's life progressively got materially worse.

Reconciliation means that those who have been on the underside of history must see that there is a qualitative difference between repression and freedom. And for them, freedom translates into having a supply of clean water, having electricity on tap; being able to live in a decent home and have a good job; to be able to send your children to school and to have accessible health care. I mean, what’s the point of having made this transition if the quality of life of these people is not enhanced and improved? If not, the vote is useless.

-Desmond Tutu

Mandela (in the US, at least) became such a powerful symbol for the civil rights movement, that people stopped viewing him and his post-Apartheid government critically ,and criticizing him became equated with being anti-civil rights. The truth is, Mandela's arc was pretty much predicted by Animal Farm, selling out revolutionary principles for power and material comfort.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...