I hate to call a man's character into question without reason, but I don't feel I have much choice at this point. Here are the facts:On the day of the FTOPS PLO8 event, DaRockets PM'ed me to see if I'd be willing to stake him. After some discussion, I agreed to do it. He seemed like a decent guy from my discussions with him and from his posts here, so I felt it a safe move. We agreed that I would make the transfer on Stars, which I did, and he confirmed it.The next day I was stunned to discover that he did not play the event. I PM'ed him to ask why. I told him that I'd like the money back, but if there was a good reason for him not to play I would not be averse to staking him again for another event.Since then, which has been about 10 days, he seems to have disappeared. No PMs, no emails, and no posts. I decided to wait until I returned from China today to make any noise, but still nothing. At this point I am forced to conclude that he ripped me off. I hope I'm wrong.In any event, if anyone is in contact with him, please ask him to touch base so that we can still hopefully clear this up. I would like the money back, but I'm far from starving without it. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth given our discussions, and given that I had really only started staking people in the last couple of months.Any thoughts?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You steaked somebody you've never met before? Wow. Did you even talk to him on the phone? Ask where he lives? (I'm a longtime member of a forum called Ornery Americans (.org) and I've met some of them while traveling on business and talked to some of them on the phone, and if I had the money they would be the ones I went in with, not someone I didn't know much about.I've often wondered where people like Daniel get there original steaks from. I know he's mentioned a lot of people would steak him, but that was after he was somewhat established. How did he get his first start?I'd love to play tourneys, but I never have extra money to risk. I use all my money to pay the mortgage and groceries. Damn kids! :club: Ahh well, I'm 39 and I've only got three more years tilll they go to college. Then after I pay for there college I can start playing. Think poker will still be booming then? And before anybody says it, I suck online. I've won a couple of Moose Lodge tourneys and pretty much dominate my friends, but there never seems to be enough to go to a big tourney. Oh, I live in Texas, one of the only places you can't legally play Texas Hold'em. :(KE

You're a sucker. Like me. Join the club.That sucks bro, but the guy's only made 60 posts. Of course he's going to suck up to you if he's asking for a stake. I think before I staked someone on here they'd have to have like 1000+ posts and post on here pretty consistently and seem like a good guy.But welcome to the sucker club.

We should have a stickied thread with a list of people NOT TO STAKE.I'm not sure that the powers that be here will let it happen, as it could be seen to imply that people not on the list are safe.....until they too screw someone. We are all not totally naive and know that there are scuzzy people out there, but the scamming for a stake bit is really getting old. I think the recent stakings have really added to the sense of community here and I would hate to see people get discouraged and discontinue them.Sorry you got screwed Kestral. How much did you lose ?

I'm on FCP everyday with accounts at almost every online site. There are hundreds of FCP'ers just like me with just as many posts.Please people... talk to us as a 3rd party, or for advice or anything you might be concerned with.when you do transfers , you should have a 3rd party who is trustworthy, when you do stakes. you should have a few notables vouch for your horse.

Guys, a vending machine in Santa Clarita, CA ate my dollar the other day. I wasn't going to say anything, but I didn't want any of you to get ripped off as well. Please be cautious when putting money in any Santa Clarita area vending machine.

Guys, a vending machine in Santa Clarita, CA ate my dollar the other day. I wasn't going to say anything, but I didn't want any of you to get ripped off as well. Please be cautious when putting money in any Santa Clarita area vending machine.
what were u buying?
You steaked somebody you've never met before? Wow. Did you even talk to him on the phone? Ask where he lives? (I'm a longtime member of a forum called Ornery Americans (.org) and I've met some of them while traveling on business and talked to some of them on the phone, and if I had the money they would be the ones I went in with, not someone I didn't know much about.I've often wondered where people like Daniel get there original steaks from. I know he's mentioned a lot of people would steak him, but that was after he was somewhat established. How did he get his first start?I'd love to play tourneys, but I never have extra money to risk. I use all my money to pay the mortgage and groceries. Damn kids! :club: Ahh well, I'm 39 and I've only got three more years tilll they go to college. Then after I pay for there college I can start playing. Think poker will still be booming then? And before anybody says it, I suck online. I've won a couple of Moose Lodge tourneys and pretty much dominate my friends, but there never seems to be enough to go to a big tourney. Oh, I live in Texas, one of the only places you can't legally play Texas Hold'em. :(KE
mmmmm....steak.......

seems like people get scammed on here quite often lately...

This is why I only stake people "live" and those people are my "friends" Im hoping this is getting through to you as bad as it sounds dont trust anybody that isnt close to you in your personal life.No offense but I would never stake/accept a stake from anyone on this forum. It just causes too many problems and then we see like 10 "I got ripped off by [insert screen name here]" threads.

I think before I staked someone on here they'd have to have like 1000+ posts and post on here pretty consistently and seem like a good guy.
<<< You can ship any/all stakes to bdcfcp on stars :D I promise at least to play when I say I'll play.(oops, just saw that you said I'd have to seem like a good guy... :club: )
  • 4 weeks later...

I had given up on this until I saw that DaRockets is still posting in the general form from time to time (I assumed we would never hear from him again). Dude, do the right thing and ship the $$ back to me.I checked him out as well as I could, in that I exchanged emails with him, found out about where he lived, what he does, looked him up on the various DB sites. No red flags so I took a flier; obviously a bad one in retrospect.That said, in response to one poster, and as I've said many, many, many times before - using post count as a measure of anything other than how much free time someone has is absolutely ridiculous.

I had given up on this until I saw that DaRockets is still posting in the general form from time to time (I assumed we would never hear from him again). Dude, do the right thing and ship the $$ back to me.I checked him out as well as I could, in that I exchanged emails with him, found out about where he lived, what he does, looked him up on the various DB sites. No red flags so I took a flier; obviously a bad one in retrospect.That said, in response to one poster, and as I've said many, many, many times before - using post count as a measure of anything other than how much free time someone has is absolutely ridiculous.
yeah....gl man
I've often wondered where people like Daniel get there original steaks from.
This sentence is awesome in a couple of different ways. my guess is the supermarket.