Random Hockey Observations

Semin with a 1-year $6.7 extension..1. Why would he only sign for one year.2. Who are the caps saving cap for... a $10m extension for Green?
There's a potential multi year threat here... Next season they have 17 players signed including the big ones and 13 million in cap space....http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=30
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Don't know if this has been discussed but:http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/25/hockey.pl...x.html?hpt=SbinI am not sure if I am supposed to be outraged or tell this kid to grow some thicker skin. It feels borderline.
Seems like the latter to me. My favourite quotes:"Bailey, who was drafted in 2005 by the Ducks but has not played in the NHL, was rarely given ice time and was not provided with resources "that were fully available to the hockey players who were not Jewish," he argues."Maybe those other non-Jewish players were also...good?The coach's apology letters:Bailey claims the letters were insincere. In one, Pederson allegedly wrote, "I guess I never stopped to think about the impact my statement would have on you or how it would make you feel. It was not intended to insult or hurt in you in any way, but it did, and for that I am truly sorry." A letter from Raymond states, "As a French-Canadian, I too have come face-to-face with bigotry and understand how such remarks can negatively affect lives." He wrote that he no longer would continue the behavior, according to the lawsuit.Those seem pretty damn sincere to me!Sounds like there were anti-Jewish comments. Maybe meaningful, maybe playful. The kid got offended, complained. They moved him up a league, where surprisingly, he got no playing time, since he was playing above his level. He got apology letters. They traded him to a team also playing him in the AHL.Whatevs. There might have been real issues involved, but if so, it is with an ECHL team's management/coaches, and I couldn't care less.

Apparently Semin turned down a multi-year deal. Same thing happened last season as well.Moulson seems to be a little overpaid, but he had like 30 goals last year, and is on a good pace this year, so it's pretty reasonable. He has a ton of chemistry with Tavares, so why not?

Moulson seems to be a little overpaid, but he had like 30 goals last year, and is on a good pace this year, so it's pretty reasonable. He has a ton of chemistry with Tavares, so why not?
The other thought:1. NY is in a holding pattern until the next CBA and/or the Lighthouse project is resolved2. Given that they have problems attracting FAs and need to get to the cap floor... why not?
Apparently Semin turned down a multi-year deal. Same thing happened last season as well.Moulson seems to be a little overpaid, but he had like 30 goals last year, and is on a good pace this year, so it's pretty reasonable. He has a ton of chemistry with Tavares, so why not?
I think we will see Russians sign shorter term contracts, as the KHL is a viable option. Probably more Europeans too.

While we sometimes mock OUR all star game, the Football Pro Bowl is the dumbest thing ever especially this year.Its being held this weekend, a week BEFORE the super bowl. So the best players who are on the Super Bowl teams wont be there.Why ?What purpose?

While we sometimes mock OUR all star game, the Football Pro Bowl is the dumbest thing ever especially this year.Its being held this weekend, a week BEFORE the super bowl. So the best players who are on the Super Bowl teams wont be there.Why ?What purpose?
It's the most meaningless "game" of the year anyway, what does it really matter?
It's the most meaningless "game" of the year anyway, what does it really matter?
Ya true..They should just scrap it..The other all star games have some sort of excitement to it, and in baseball's case its an actual game..
Seems like a better idea than having it after the Super Bowl... then it's guaranteed to a. have no public interest b. Super Bowl players probably weren't all that interested anyways.

TBH, I hate how bad the press is that the ASG gets, in hockey. It's an exhibition of retarded skill. Period. It's not intense, it's not a playoff game, it's not even a reg. season game. Stop asking for it to be intense. It is what it is. ****ing enjoy it for the skill that it showcases. IMO.

TBH, I hate how bad the press is that the ASG gets, in hockey. It's an exhibition of retarded skill. Period. It's not intense, it's not a playoff game, it's not even a reg. season game. Stop asking for it to be intense. It is what it is. ****ing enjoy it for the skill that it showcases. IMO.
Yeppers. And I'm glad they don't put anything on the line. Hitting is a part of hockey, but it isn't necessary for a good game. Unlike football, where not hitting just complete ruins the flow and changes the game completely. No all-star game will ever be worse than the Pro Bowl.
TBH, I hate how bad the press is that the ASG gets, in hockey. It's an exhibition of retarded skill. Period. It's not intense, it's not a playoff game, it's not even a reg. season game. Stop asking for it to be intense. It is what it is. ****ing enjoy it for the skill that it showcases. IMO.[/quoteBut does it really showcase hockey and the NHL?It showcases OFFENSIVE skill, thats about it.
The best way to showcase the NHL to the "casual" or prospective fan, is to have a game where all the bigger name players can be spotlighted. They're the target audience.
Is this really true?I mean, I've had times where I consider myself a casual fan of the NFL. I never thought that watching the Pro-Bowl was the way to go, it would be the Super Bowl obv. Maybe I could see baseballs game as a good choice, but any other sport is pretty much based on energy+heart+desire, on top of the obv skill, and you dont get that in any all-star game. I would think you would tune into the finals for that.

I think the NHL's goal is to promote names a lot more - to make it so when you think of the Pens, Caps, Wings, or Flyers you think of Crosby, Ovechkin, Lidstrom and Pronger. We're obviously all hockey fans here, so we come at it with a different perspective. What we're interested in, might not necessarily be what a casual observer might be into. I'm not a basketball fan, but I have to admit that when Jordan was playing, I would find myself watching Bulls and even Washington Wizards games when he was on. I'm not a baseball fan, but I'd find myself interested when the home run derby between Macguire and Sosa was playing out. I think the NHL is thinking that promoting names and making that name recognition stick for casual fans is the first step to marketing their sport a bit wider.This is all my opinion, of course.

I think the NHL's goal is to promote names a lot more - to make it so when you think of the Pens, Caps, Wings, or Flyers you think of Crosby, Ovechkin, Lidstrom and Pronger. We're obviously all hockey fans here, so we come at it with a different perspective. What we're interested in, might not necessarily be what a casual observer might be into. I'm not a basketball fan, but I have to admit that when Jordan was playing, I would find myself watching Bulls and even Washington Wizards games when he was on. I'm not a baseball fan, but I'd find myself interested when the home run derby between Macguire and Sosa was playing out. I think the NHL is thinking that promoting names and making that name recognition stick for casual fans is the first step to marketing their sport a bit wider.This is all my opinion, of course.
This is very accurate..I am a VERY casual basketball observer..I love to watch a playoff game between Lebron and Kobe..But i barely catch a handful of regular season games..While Shaquille Oneal might not be one of the best players in the NBA anymore, it is him I want to see in an All star game..

Just had to peek in here as a passe fan and say I LOVE what they did wit the ASG this year, and the player draft, etc. I was curious how it would be handled, since obviously someone has to get taken last (even from an all-star caliber pool). They did great with the donations and a meh car going to the last picked.Should make for a fun game. Excited to see the current champs get to play again together on the same ice.