Paul Wasicka - Is He Really That Good Or Just Lucky?

This is pretty much a pointless topic, but I'm just curious. I've only heard Paul Wasicka's name 3 times ever and it was for the 2nd place finish at the WSOP main event '06, the season 3 HSP and now at the '07 LA Poker Classic final table. He seems to play very very tight and winning rediculous amounts of money. I would have to assume that playing that tight, you have to get lucky sometimes to avoid people drawing out on you. So, do you think he is that good or do you think he is just having a very good run of cards over the last year?Has anyone in this forum ever played against him?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are hundreds of very good players who make a better than average poker living that you have never heard of. He just isn't as marketable as others so you won't hear his name over and over.

Howard Lederer.
Seems like everytime I try to tighten up my game, it never works out. I guess that is why he is a pro making over 6 mil and I'm an idiot on a forum talking about it!You have to admit it was amazing how most players on HSP new he played tight and still gambled with him. They didn't say how much he was up on the last episode, but it had to be at least 50 grand, probably more.
This is pretty much a pointless topic, but I'm just curious. I've only heard Paul Wasicka's name 3 times ever and it was for the 2nd place finish at the WSOP main event '06, the season 3 HSP and now at the '07 LA Poker Classic final table. He seems to play very very tight and winning rediculous amounts of money. I would have to assume that playing that tight, you have to get lucky sometimes to avoid people drawing out on you. So, do you think he is that good or do you think he is just having a very good run of cards over the last year?Has anyone in this forum ever played against him?
He is good, iv been talking with him recently. Hes doing real well on High Stakes Poker. He is also play 10-20 NL on Bodog and killin it.
He is good, iv been talking with him recently. Hes doing real well on High Stakes Poker. He is also play 10-20 NL on Bodog and killin it.
How do you know him? Through Bodog? Must be nice having an extra 6 mill laying around. I'd be thrilled with 6 grand, no wait, 6 hundred would be nice.So how does someone like that breakthrough? Get lucky in the first tournament? Get backers? Slowly build-up a bankroll? I need to know how this happens.

I would hazard a guess that anyone who's FT'd a main event has more skill than your avg player ('cept maybe aaron kanter)He's got more money now, he's gonna play more tourneys... HSP.... we'll see in the next couple years if he becomes consistant in tourneys.

Wow. 10-20 NL on Bodog. For a a pro, why is he playing 10-20 if he is that good?
because it is easier money than the bigger games with less risk to his roll. oh and to the op, the answer to your question is both.

He's good, but as mentioned before, he isn't very marketable as he is a quiet, tight player.He came 2nd in the ME and won on HSP, and he is at the FT in LA of course. But other that that, I believe he went deep in the WPT championships in Bellagio and also went deep in a WSOP preliminary event. I've also heard that he beats the 25/50 (EDIT: looks like its 10/20 after reading other posts) shorthanded NL games online. Anyone know his screen name out of interest?

What kind of bankroll do you need to play 10/20 NL? More than $1000?
Well over $1000.

lol, i hope theres alot of sw missing. To play 10/20 NL, a minimum of 25k is needed I would say. The skill is alot higher too at that level so an even bigger roll is needed.

What kind of bankroll do you need to play 10/20 NL? More than $1000?
One buy in: $2000 or $3000Bankroll: 20 buy ins minimum - range of $50,000As far as Wasicka playing too tight, it probably cost him a victory in the WSOP because he folded the OESFD when they were three-handed and he would have made the winner on the river. But this is a debate that won't be resolved here.