strangest play i've ever seen

I hate to complain about cards and I'm not one to complain about people hitting their flush or straight on the river against me. However, today I saw a play that left me honestly stunned and, quite frankly, feeling almost cheated. Here it is:4 handed 5.50 Sng on Pokerstars, blinds are 75/150on the button, I'm dealt AQh I raise to 450, one call from BB.Flop is 4h Kd TsAt this point I believe I still have the best hand, as I'm playing against a very loose player who was raising and reraising with any paint in any position. I bet 450. He calls. Now I'm not sure if I have the best hand. Turn is a 3h, I decide it couldn't have helped him and bet 600. He calls.At this point his stack is down to about 700. So with blinds going up again in 2 minutes, he's arguably crippled if he loses this hand.River is an 8c. I take one last stab at it and put him all-in, because I really don't think he made a hand.He calls and flips over an 8s6s. A pair of 8s.Can anyone offer a reasoning for him making all those calls with absolutely no hand and no draw, when it meant near elimination in 4th place? I guess some people will say that making all those big bets with no hand myself meant I would get stung eventually, but even if he put me on no hand, how could he think his 8 high was good? The fact is that I really felt I had the best hand, even with him calling me all the way down, and it turns out I was right until that 8 hit. This is baffling me and I'd appreciate anyone shedding some light on the situation.

its called bluffingget over it.you sound like annie duke gettin caught with her pants down on a stone cold bluff. "he shouldve laid it down" no annie, you shouldnt suck balls as much

It wasn't bluffing when the guy called him to the river with 8 high. If it was a low limit game you have to account for - as DN put it - RBF and MCF when playing online. Random Berserko Factor and Miss-Click Factor respectively. Maybe he accidentally called pre-river and happened to catch his 8?Shock

I really don't understand his play, but to be quite honest I'm not really sure of your thought process either.The preflop raise was fine, but after that you start to lose me a bit. You decide when the flop comes down 4 K T that you still probably have the best hand? I don't see why that's a logical assumption. Sure your opponent is playing loosely, but does that mean he couldn't possibly be holding a K or Ten? Regardless, I agree with taking a stab at the pot here, many times you'll take it down right there.After he calls the bet on the flop, you then proceed to fire again on the turn when the apparent blank comes off. I'm still somewhat okay with this move because he could be drawing with Q-J or middle pair like A-10, in which case you probably could get him to lay it down. Plus you've picked up 9 more outs with the nut flush draw.What I don't understand is putting him all in on the river. You took a couple of stabs and got called down the whole way, you would have to assume he has some kind of hand at this point (even though he really didn't). By my math there is now $3700 in the pot, and it's $700 more to call, since he's played his hand out this far, he most likely will call the river if he has any kind of hand.You said that you bet the river because: " I take one last stab at it and put him all-in, because I really don't think he made a hand."My question is, what hand exactly did you think he had? Seriously, what two cards did you think he was holding at this point. He called a $450 preflop raise, a $450 flop bet, a $600 turn bet... yet you still felt there was no way he made a hand? I don't follow your logic on that.As I said I agree his play was bizzarre to say the least, but you decision of putting him in on the river has me confused as well.

I really don't understand his play, but to be quite honest I'm not really sure of your thought process either.The preflop raise was fine, but after that you start to lose me a bit. You decide when the flop comes down 4 K T that you still probably have the best hand? I don't see why that's a logical assumption. Sure your opponent is playing loosely, but does that mean he couldn't possibly be holding a K or Ten? Regardless, I agree with taking a stab at the pot here, many times you'll take it down right there.After he calls the bet on the flop, you then proceed to fire again on the turn when the apparent blank comes off. I'm still somewhat okay with this move because he could be drawing with Q-J or middle pair like A-10, in which case you probably could get him to lay it down. Plus you've picked up 9 more outs with the nut flush draw.What I don't understand is putting him all in on the river. You took a couple of stabs and got called down the whole way, you would have to assume he has some kind of hand at this point (even though he really didn't). By my math there is now $3700 in the pot, and it's $700 more to call, since he's played his hand out this far, he most likely will call the river if he has any kind of hand.You said that you bet the river because: " I take one last stab at it and put him all-in, because I really don't think he made a hand."My question is, what hand exactly did you think he had? Seriously, what two cards did you think he was holding at this point. He called a $450 preflop raise, a $450 flop bet, a $600 turn bet... yet you still felt there was no way he made a hand? I don't follow your logic on that.As I said I agree his play was bizzarre to say the least, but you decision of putting him in on the river has me confused as well.
Ditto
This is baffling me and I'd appreciate anyone shedding some light on the situation.
Whats baffling me is that people never stop being amazed at plays in cheap online tournaments. :roll: :roll: Let me explain... Many players play cheap online tournaments like it was the lottery. Thay can afford to not know the game or just fool around. One thing I've learned over the years is that the more expensive a tournament is compared to a players bankroll the more serios the play. Hence at a 5$ SNG you will find all kinds of baffling plays and amazing calls.

The most confusing part is why, after thinking that you had him beat on the river, you bet him. He'll only call if he has you beat. The only draw he could have been on was 10/Q for the open ended, and that missed, butif you just checked it, you'd still have _that_ beat. If he had any pair and was calling it this far, he WILL call the final bet for a tiny fraction of what the pot is.

honestly he had pulled a delayed bluff a couple times and had showed the hand. i wanted to take it away from him, which is actually what i would have been doing if he didn't catch an 8. He didn't have a whole lot of chips, and I did, so I took a shot at crippling him.

I can certainly understand what you are saying about him pulling a delayed bluff, but if he has a consistant pattern of that then you are probably better off using that information to trap him with a big hand. I think, IMO, many times when someone identifies a player as loose they tend to never give them credit for ever having a hand. Certainly you must play a loose player differently then you would a tighter one, but this doesn't mean always assume he has absolutely nothing. If he's playing loosely and delay bluffing a lot, don't worry, you'll catch him eventually. You just need to find the right time, and again IMO that was not the time.Not trying to rag on you, just offering my thoughts.

honestly he had pulled a delayed bluff a couple times and had showed the hand. i wanted to take it away from him, which is actually what i would have been doing if he didn't catch an 8.
What do you mean a delayed bluff? Calling down to the river, and then betting for a tiny fraction of the pot, hoping to bluff out someone who's been betting strong the whole way?

yes it is baffling, stupid and almost completely devoid of logic.i have also seen friends make similar plays. the logic is the following:calling PF raise with a nice drawing hand. ok.calling you on the turn because they saw you bluff before. still ok, but calling not such a good way to do it.check the turn. "oops! couldn't bluff on a 3, that'd be too obvious as a bluff.call the turn. shit i missed a bluff opportunity, oh well he has nothing, pot is too big."river is an 8. "woohoo i'm so smart what a good call."that's basically the thought process as i understand it. oh well, i guess they can keep drawing to one pair on the river on the hopes that you raised pre-flop and bet each round without a pokcet pair, 10 or a king.good luck,daniel

its called bluffingget over it.you sound like annie duke gettin caught with her pants down on a stone cold bluff. "he shouldve laid it down" no annie, you shouldnt suck balls as much
its tough to bluff when your checking and calling
if you thought he didnt make a hand on the river than why did you bet?your betting assured you would get called when beatif you thought he had no hand just check behind himyou cant extract chips from a player who has no hand, so betting the river is pointless
its tough to bluff when your checking and calling
The guy was referring to the OP bluffing, not the calling station.

I think the OP's big problem is he's not ready for the level of donkitude opponents will show at this level.For fun, he should observe some Party 5+1 SNG's. People playing at the lowest level on the softest site and accepting a 20% vig may prepare him for anything, or at least be good for laughs.

This is a clear case of"I think hes bluffing, so all I have to do is hit a pair"
YESS!!Best quote ever, this happens a lot at shorthanded limit games with idiots toosay someone raises preflop, and someone decides to call out of the bb with 46s and the flop comes 8810 and the person that raised preflop bets out and the guy with 46 decides, "Im sure he is bluffing, so all I gotta do is hit." HAHAHHHA... anyways, great quote and yes very likely that happened in this situation.