Flame Wars, Stupid Posts And The Reaction To Them

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen you attacked for apparently no reason. But also you're not afraid to post your opinion, so there are gonna be people who disagree with you. It's just sad that instead of just saying they disagree with you, they have to troll your posts and try to initiate an e-battle.
Yes, Dog, it's true. While I don't expect to have people agree with me, I would hope that these people would rebut my opinion, rather than start a juvenile name-calling battle. Unfortunately, I can be a little volatile at times about this, having endured prolonged attacks of a similar nature in real life. I'm not asking for sympathy about that, but people need to show a little more class and intelligence when responding to people that "aren't deemed worthy of rational repsonses". CUDan is the perfect case for this. he seems like a totally decent guy, intelligent and reasonable. He comes here and has unwittingly attracted the ire of quite a few people. Why? Because one or two or, maybe, more of CUDan's threads were deemed stupid for some reason or another, the one regarding PETA and the cow-killing, for example. A guy being open and honest with himself shouldn't be bashed revealing a certain sensitivity in these matters. It disgusts me that some types of people go for the jugular when they sense a personal weakness.
Here's the real problem. The mods don't really wanna stop anyone. And you all have WAY more fun flaming than you do writing about poker anyway. Isan't that right? Its really just disrespect. You've decided that this is your forum to screw with people and you're gonna do just that. And its gonna be that way until/unless they really do crack down.And I'm sure this will get me flamed, but I doubt anyone will actually prove it to be incorrect.
Who are you even talking too? Noone here has flamed or acted aggressively yet you look to be trying to start something. Don't be part of the problem, chief.
lol see when ron makes a joke its directed at laughing with him not pointing out a guy and laughing at him. I don't think we should stop jokes but we should stop the unwarranted attacks and the gang atmosphere.
you don't know ron mexico very well

seriously we should set a side an area for flaming, where you can go in and be obnoxious and know what you are getting into, and if people have a problem with each other they can go there and hash it out. Get their flames in and not have to pollute everything else.

Who are you even talking too? Noone here has flamed or acted aggressively yet you look to be trying to start something. Don't be part of the problem, chief.
I am simply stating some facts, I do not wish to start anything. Tell me this is incorrect though. Seriously.Or better yet, if you don't believe me, go make a post in General that could be looked up if you searched last year, and see what happens.I just wanna talk poker.
Here's the real problem. The mods don't really wanna stop anyone. And you all have WAY more fun flaming than you do writing about poker anyway. Isan't that right? Its really just disrespect. You've decided that this is your forum to screw with people and you're gonna do just that. And its gonna be that way until/unless they really do crack down.And I'm sure this will get me flamed, but I doubt anyone will actually prove it to be incorrect.
Why would they? Who wants to have to come into a thread and be like "Guys stop flaming, you look dumb, don't make me ban you." It makes you look stupid, ideally they wouldn't have to ban or delete anything, because people wouldn't suck. I highly doubt Keith likes coming into threads saying stuff like that.More fun flaming? I don't think so, but some people need to be flamed a bit. They seek to be flamed, that's why they type the stupid stuff. And for a lot of good strat posters here, this is the only forum they contribute at. So they/we don't want to flame, I'd much rather talk about HHs and then read funny stuff in OT. I don't post anywhere else (though I do read strat other places).
I am simply stating some facts, I do not wish to start anything. Tell me this is incorrect though. Seriously.Or better yet, if you don't believe me, go make a post in General that could be looked up if you searched last year, and see what happens.I just wanna talk poker.
Actually you are kind've incorrect. There are plenty of people who visit the forum who do not post but like reading threads.Yes, FCP is logically a poker forum but you're saying that if it's not poker then it's a flame. If you ever visit the other forums here this place has a lot more to offer. The Off Topic area is fantastic for those who want to take a break from poker without being away from the community.This is not a horrible place and the people are not horrible. It's only a few people and certain threads that 'cause problems. But if the same people crossed paths every single day in the real world there would also be problems so it's not like this is an extroidanary situation.
Why would they? Who wants to have to come into a thread and be like "Guys stop flaming, you look dumb, don't make me ban you." It makes you look stupid, ideally they wouldn't have to ban or delete anything, because people wouldn't suck. I highly doubt Keith likes coming into threads saying stuff like that.The more fun flaming? I don't think so, but some people need to be flamed a bit. They seek to be flamed, that's why they type the stupid stuff. And for a lot of good strat posters here, this is the only forum they contribute at. So they/we don't want to flame, I'd much rather talk about HHs and then read funny stuff in OT. I don't post anywhere else (though I do read strat other places).
Disagree. I would think a few bans would probably get them more respect. You gonna mess with the people who ban?

The irony of all this is that this thread only exists because of one particular Troll who consistently posts completel nonsense and is basically just looking for attention. Not naming any names here because it obviously goes without saying. This one ban in particular would cause at least a 20-30% drop in flaming/derailed threads. Seriously.

If you want to talk poker there are a ton of poker strat boards, poker news boards, poker books, etc. As Flueng said, there is OT, a nice place to fuck around with some people and have fun. GenPo has always been...odd. I tend to stay away as much as possible. Now I will go make a topic on GenPo and get flamed and not get bent about it.
I can also promise you that I've never flamed anyone who was undeserving of one.I know that I've also taken my flames too far from time to time, but, in a lot of ways it's difficult not to.
With much and sincere respect, do you ask yourself why you are such an online idiot magnet?Maybe it's just the spots I see, but more than a few times I've seen threads where you and someone go back and forth; you make good points and then start foaming and make many more posts over the line. People start asking for your ban, things cool and the process repeats.You have an extensive network of friends on here and a real history, why does this happen again and again?
Disagree. I would think a few bans would probably get them more respect. You gonna mess with the people who ban?
Coming from a site where I probably on average for the last 4 yrs have suspended/banned 30+ user a week, no, people still mess with you.
Mess with them? Nah. But I don't do anything inflammatory anyways. I just don't think they want to be seen as all-powerful banning people. It's kind of a sucky job especially when you haven't always been a moderator. KdawgCometh was a poster first and that's how I think of him. He doesn't want to have to answer why was XXX banned, why was XXX thread deleted.I'm just thankful the moderators keep the place running as smooth as possible. Good moderators are like good referees when they aren't being noticed they are doing a good job.

Clearly I'm not receiving CUDan in the same way others have. What exactly is he doing that deserves the really shoddy treatment he's received from some of you? And don't post links to his threads, I want to hear it in your own words and not in vague terms.Does he post way too much? Is his thread content against the TOC? Has he initiated, at any time, an attack on someone without having been attacked by that person?

Clearly I'm not receiving CUDan in the same way others have. What exactly is he doing that deserves the really shoddy treatment he's received from some of you? And don't post links to his threads, I want to hear it in your own words and not in vague terms.Does he post way too much? Is his thread content against the TOC? Has he initiated, at any time, an attack on someone without having been attacked by that person?
I have little time as I have a meeting coming up but will respond to this as best I can.Without links the best way I can describe it is that he form an opinion, says it in an agressive fashion with the sole purpose to start a fight. Then when people start out giving their opinions without trolling/flaming, he then trolls and flames them. The iPod topic is a perfect example of how he operates. Plus half of all he posts is a complete bald face lie. Like winning $61K in an underground toruney and when called out on his lie he just flames. Last night he was the same way, came into that topic looking for a fight. He was whining that it was stupid to have a topic up when we all should just watch cardplayer and keep to ourselves I believe. Some of us obliged, Gov said stop, most if not all did, and he kept it up. He was flinging "**** you's" to anyone he felt like. He is a cancer on this board and need to be sent away. As Yoda said, it would clear up a ton of this mess.

Trolling and Flaming are apparently in the eye of the beholder - many of the posters in this thread are serial Trolls who cannot help themselves from being provocateurs because they think it is funny or they just feel like being cute......and, no, I am not innocent of this, but hey "I can also promise you that I've never flamed anyone who was undeserving of one"

I'm just thankful the moderators keep the place running as smooth as possible. Good moderators are like good referees when they aren't being noticed they are doing a good job.
I absolutely wholeheartedly concur.
The irony of all this is that this thread only exists because of one particular Troll who consistently posts completel nonsense and is basically just looking for attention. Not naming any names here because it obviously goes without saying. This one ban in particular would cause at least a 20-30% drop in flaming/derailed threads. Seriously.
NO this is not a sollution. Because say you banned who you are talking about, what about the next time someone comes a long who you deem to be a "Troll" and you feel deserves to get attacked by a group of posters who I will not name, for any post they make until you deem fit. Then what will you say?? Well they deserved it so lets all gang up on him and make him feel as small as possible??? Let the mods deal with what they deam to be guys making stupid threads and lets let the mods warn them, not unleash a mob to give them what someone deserves.
I have little time as I have a meeting coming up but will respond to this as best I can.Without links the best way I can describe it is that he form an opinion, says it in an agressive fashion with the sole purpose to start a fight. Then when people start out giving their opinions without trolling/flaming, he then trolls and flames them. The iPod topic is a perfect example of how he operates. Plus half of all he posts is a complete bald face lie. Like winning $61K in an underground toruney and when called out on his lie he just flames. Last night he was the same way, came into that topic looking for a fight. He was whining that it was stupid to have a topic up when we all should just watch cardplayer and keep to ourselves I believe. Some of us obliged, Gov said stop, most if not all did, and he kept it up. He was flinging "**** you's" to anyone he felt like. He is a cancer on this board and need to be sent away. As Yoda said, it would clear up a ton of this mess.
That sums it up pretty well. He exaggerates, lies, and posts just plain stupid things to get a reaction and get attention. In addition to the bolded above, he also had to say "Poker players look stupid wearing hockey jerseys." How is that not going to get flames in a DN Rail thread. Just another method of attention getting.
NO this is not a sollution. Because say you banned who you are talking about, what about the next time someone comes a long who you deem to be a "Troll" and you feel deserves to get attacked by a group of posters who I will not name, for any post they make until you deem fit. Then what will you say?? Well they deserved it so lets all gang up on him and make him feel as small as possible??? Let the mods deal with what they deam to be guys making stupid threads and lets let the mods warn them, not unleash a mob to give them what someone deserves.
You don't have to listen to me...make a poll. The results will speak for themselves. ME saying he is a troll means nothing, obv. Unfortunately the majority of the board will agree with that assessment. Therefore, it IS the solution.

Bottom Line: Treat people with respect and have a thick skin when people do not treat you with respect. Expect a reaction when you post something inteneded to provoke a reaction - and even if it isn't intended to do so.