The Offical American Idol Thread

Obviously I was mistaken by thinking American Idol was a singing competition. Kind've frustrates me to see the best singer I've ever seen in the show's history (although admittedly I haven't seen every singer...just logically thinking the last few should be the best each year) get knocked out.hblask probably had it right with a few points such as her looks. No doubt the other two have more of that going for them. Also, Melinda's song choices probably weren't recognized by most 13-year olds and lost those votes. It's shocking how many of you geniunely like Blake. His voice is so weak and I hate the way his face looks when he sings. But like the show, your posts prove that people DO like him and that's what wins. I really hope Melinda comes out with some quality music later though...she's nothing to look at but I love her voice and the way she forms each verse.
Only twice on American Idol has the person with the best voice come out on top. It's not shocking that people like Blake. What's really shocking, is all the bashing he gets just because his voice isn't that strong. Plenty of people have made it big in the music business with sub par voices. Take Bob Dylan for instance. Anyone who thinks he has a "great" voice needs to have their hearing checked. He didn't get where he is today by having that "great" voice. He got there by writing amazing songs, and standing out from the crowd. Blake has already proven himself to be very creative, and that's more than I can say about most people in the business who have already sold millions of records.The top 3 vocalists (non winners) imo are... 1. Melinda Doolittle2. Chris Daughtry3. Elliot Yamin/Clay Aiken (had to put a tie here, just because I think Clay has the slightly better voice, but I prefer Elliot's style of music)
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there have been at least 3 who had the best voices. Clarkson, underwood, and Fantasia (even though I couldn't stand her one bit, nobody had a better voice that season). Melinda and Jordin were alot alike in styles, except Melinda was noticeably better. If she wasn't so goofy looking she would have won this competition easily.

1) Weak competition2) He's got a presence, a charisma, that the other contestents lack.3) The beat box thing is interesting in small doses. He needs to figure out how small.4) He's got a very pop-mass-media voice and image.I think it's mostly #2. If you've ever seen Rob Thomas perform, you'd know why those bland Matchbox 20 songs get so much air time. He's a riveting performer that can make average music watchable/listenable. Blake is not THAT good, but it's the same idea.
Funny that you say that because it is so spot on. Rob Thomas is from Orlando and I remember seeing him before Matchbox got famous. Rob was not as charismatic as he is now, but I would say that Blake is a lot of how Rob Thomas was before the hits and fame.I still like Blake. Melinda is technically the best but there is a reason she is a back up singer, she just doesn't have that certain something that makes you crave her... she is awesome but you are satisfied. A great performer is like a 15 year old girl, she will tease the hell out of you, kiss you and rub up all over you but your clothes will never come off and you will leave tormented, frustrated and wanting more.
Funny that you say that because it is so spot on. Rob Thomas is from Orlando and I remember seeing him before Matchbox got famous. Rob was not as charismatic as he is now, but I would say that Blake is a lot of how Rob Thomas was before the hits and fame.I still like Blake. Melinda is technically the best but there is a reason she is a back up singer, she just doesn't have that certain something that makes you crave her... she is awesome but you are satisfied. A great performer is like a 15 year old girl, she will tease the hell out of you, kiss you and rub up all over you but your clothes will never come off and you will leave tormented, frustrated and wanting more.
Jesus... All I know for sure is that Melinda does not make me want to take my clothes off, so I guess I agree?

I know we have another night to top this (unlikely), but the best moment from Idol this season:During one of the audition cities, the old guy singing the song for his love who had just died of cancer.EDIT: Found a link: Top moment from American Idol this seasonWorst moment:The guy in New York with the boa who called himself a superstar. He was obviously not serious, I don't know why they gave him air time. He wasn't funny, cute, or talented. Just someone looking for 15 seconds of fame by being ridiculous.

god what a predictably horridly saptacular song - Blake rightly gave up and rolled his eyes
Were you expecting something different? All of the "Idol" songs are sappy songs. I think anyone could've written something just as "good".

hmm...I think I pretty much agree with Simon. I wasn't so sure of either finalist as I just figured it would rep the loser to Melinda until Doolittle didn't make it.Jordan's second song was just amazing and she obviously sang the final song better than Blake. I was pretty impressed with her. Straight hair definitely looks better on her and if you throw in a trainer this girl has potential. At only 17 the music biz can do a lot. The voice and passion seem very geniune.Blake still looks like he's struggling to hit the notes the way he lifts his chin. Good thing enough of y'all think he's got the pretty boy thing going.

That song really sucked. I think Jordan has it in the bag but Blake is my guy... I really like him.
Jordin has obviously always been the better singer of the two. I would like to see her win, but I just don't think it's going to happen. Some girl at my job told me she voted for Jordin 10 times last night. I then told her, that for her 10 votes for Jordin, some 13 year old voted 50 times for Blake. That is going to be the big difference. All the little girls 12-16 with their cell phones and their damn text messaging. That's also the reason I think Blake will have the top selling CD of any of the top 10 from this season.
That song really sucked. I think Jordan has it in the bag but Blake is my guy... I really like him.
If this thing was based on singing talent then Jordan would have it for sure and Blake wouldn't have even made it this far.You're the perfect example of why Blake has a chance. You really got a thing for brown/light haired white dudes eh?

Blake and Doug E Fresh was way cool and Blake was cool giving all the props to DougBrandon can really sing what the hell happened to him when he was onstage by himselfIf you've watched the show the whole way sure Jordan has a better voice but you would't be caught dead with her album and Blake's will probably be pretty cool

If this thing was based on singing talent then Jordan would have it for sure and Blake wouldn't have even made it this far.You're the perfect example of why Blake has a chance. You really got a thing for brown/light haired white dudes eh?
if it were based on talent Jordin wouldn't be allowed to shine Melinda's shoes
I wonder how many people with TIVO (like me) got hosed by American Idol?My machine failed to pick it up. YAY!!!!!!!!!!! :club:
happened to my parents - probably did it on purpose to screw the shows starting at ten on the other stations

Fricken TiVo. That sucks I didn't get to see the end.and what the F was Joe Mother Fucking Perry doing playing with Sanjya? At least the guitar was good and he played kick *** with Kelly Clarkson.

I wonder how many people with TIVO (like me) got hosed by American Idol?My machine failed to record (edit: the end of it!!!.) YAY!!!!!!!!!!! :club:
We always set up TIVO to record extra because we've been burned so many times by this. In this case, we recorded enough that we got to the revelation plus 18 more seconds....

I, like many, am on the hating Blake side. There is no way that I hear a song by him on the radio in the future and don't turn it. There was only one person I enjoyed watching sing this season, and that was Melinda Doolittle. Also, wow, I've always been a Rubeun Studdard hater, but I was really impressed by his performance last night.

I, like many, am on the hating Blake side. There is no way that I hear a song by him on the radio in the future and don't turn it. There was only one person I enjoyed watching sing this season, and that was Melinda Doolittle. Also, wow, I've always been a Rubeun Studdard hater, but I was really impressed by his performance last night.
damn...where the fukk were you when I got chewed up by the Blake buddy fan club?
Just gotta say that out of all the performances in the finale, Kelly Clarkson's were way above and beyond anyone else's. That girls got a great set of pipes!
The first song she sang (her new single) is terrible. Oh, and she's fat now.
The first song she sang (her new single) is terrible. Oh, and she's fat now.
I thought it was a good song...this album is going to be like Little Jagged Pill by Alanis Morrisett I think. It's like a mad at everything album. I'm sure a lot of teenage girls (and troy) will relate to it and buy it.And if that's fat to you....wow. I think she's the same size as she was during the Idol competition.