Recent Wsop Me Champions

ME Champs  

127 members have voted

1. 1. There's a big stink over at 2+2 b/c DN lumped Raymer in w/ Gold and Moneymaker as "lucky" Main Event champs. Out of the last 10 Champs, where would you rate Greg Raymer as a player?

• One of the better champs (say top 3)
    • One of the middle champs (say middle 4)
    • One of the worst (read luckyiest) champs (say bottom 3)

As a refresher, here are the champs/years:1997 Stu Ungar1998 Scotty Nguyen1999 Noel Furlong2000 Chris Ferguson2001 Juan Carlos Mortensen2002 Robert Varkonyi2003 Chris Moneymaker2004 Greg Raymer2005 Joe Hachem2006 Jamie Gold

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would list them:Stu UngarChris FergusonScotty NguyenJuan Carlos MortensenJoe HachemGreg RaymerNoel FurlongJamie GoldRobert VarkonyiChris Moneymaker
Put Scotty ahead of Ferguson, and I agree.
I would list them:Stu UngarChris FergusonScotty NguyenJuan Carlos MortensenJoe HachemGreg RaymerNoel FurlongJamie GoldRobert VarkonyiChris Moneymaker
+1 With Scotty and Jesus being arguable.

I can see why 2+2 sticks up for their guy, especially after DN and Raymer had the spat a while ago. It looks personal because of the timing, whether Daniel believes what he said or not. Raymer is a legitimate player, but I tend to agree he is probably middle of the pack, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's kind of a shame because both Raymer and DN are usually class acts and this seems to have brought out the worst in both of them. Just end it. Don't talk about eachother anymore, let it go. They may not know it, but it hurts both of their reputations as ambassadors.

stuey as no. 1?i don't doubt that The Kid had skill but being a great poker player isn't only about natural skill. it's also about the other important aspects of being a successful gambler.stuey's...money management? nopesteam control? nopediscipline? nopeliving? nope (this is pretty important to being successful...true story)if i could buy a piece of anyone it sure as hell wouldn't be stu.i need to see more of Raymer to move him up the list but his tournament game is solid and i'd put him right in the middle.
stuey as no. 1?i don't doubt that The Kid had skill but being a great poker player isn't only about natural skill. it's also about the other important aspects of being a successful gambler.stuey's...money management? nopesteam control? nopediscipline? nopeliving? nope (this is pretty important to being successful...true story)if i could buy a piece of anyone it sure as hell wouldn't be stu.i need to see more of Raymer to move him up the list but his tournament game is solid and i'd put him right in the middle.
"as a player" not "as a human"

I would have to agree w/ the consensus that Raymer is middle of the pack. I think you'd be hard-pressed to rank him higher than 6th on the list. Joe on the other hand could be top 3, though it might be too early to tell.Here's my ranking:1.) Stuey2.) Scotty Nguyen3.) Joe Hachem4.) Chris Ferguson5.) Juan Carlos Mortensen6.) Greg Raymer7.) Jamie Gold8.) Chris Moneymaker9.) Robert Varkonyi10.) Noel Furlong

Seems to me DN just does not like Raymer and he took a shot at him again..which is fine, Raymer is a big boy (literally). To win a WSOP ME you have to be above average as a player, with that said Hachem has proven he is a top tier player...while Raymer is a good player. The ME has shown that players that catch cards at the right time can win the whole thing...Moneymaker and Varkony have not won a thing since their wins...We need to measure all ME winners by what they have done since thier win.

I am so sick of people not giving Varkoni his due. I mean did you see what happened to his wife after his training? She beat out like 2000 other players in the 2006 ME, that's way more than Stu Unger EVER beat in one sitting.

I would list them:Stu UngarScotty NguyenChris FergusonJuan Carlos MortensenJoe HachemGreg RaymerNoel FurlongJamie GoldChris MoneymakerRobert Varkonyi
Here's mine...I think Moneymaker is over Varkonyi because I don't think anybody that has won a bracelet is a bigger donk than Varkonyi.
"as a player" not "as a human"
if stuey died due to natural causes or freak accident then there'd be a decent debate.but it's not like he died of old age. a poker player typically peaks at age 40-45...now imagine if he was alive long enough to hit that age.nobody would be talking about where stu ungar ranks amongst poker's greatest in the world because he'd be a dead beat junkie. it would be as funny as ranking Moneymaker amongst the greatest.Doyle is one of greatest, if not THEE greatest, of all time because of his ability to play through so many changes in life, changes in the game, and his discipline to stay away from drugs. greatness isn't just about beating the demons of the game, it's about beating the demons from within

While Ungar is clearly the best player of the pack at the moment, I think Hachem may prove to be a better player. He is just awesome. In the last two years, his accomplishments (ME Champ, WPT champ, high finishes) is as good as any player in the game. He has taken some horrid beats in big tournaments, otherwise, he would have accomplished more. He always seems to get his money in with the best hand, and people just either out flop him or suck out. His ability to lead in hands where the money is all in is one of the indications of his outstanding ability.

While Ungar is clearly the best player of the pack at the moment, I think Hachem may prove to be a better player. He is just awesome. In the last two years, his accomplishments (ME Champ, WPT champ, high finishes) is as good as any player in the game. He has taken some horrid beats in big tournaments, otherwise, he would have accomplished more. He always seems to get his money in with the best hand, and people just either out flop him or suck out. His ability to lead in hands where the money is all in is one of the indications of his outstanding ability.
I agree Hachem always gets his money in with the best hand, if Donk Boyd had not kept shoving all his chips in vs Hachem and praying to suck out then finally hitting a miracle...people would be calling Hachem the best right now..

Forgive my ignorance but who exactly is Furlong and what the heck is he doing now?I have heard of all the others except him :club:

As a refresher, here are the champs/years:1997 Stu Ungar1998 Scotty Nguyen1999 Noel Furlong2000 Chris Ferguson2001 Juan Carlos Mortensen2002 Robert Varkonyi2003 Chris Moneymaker2004 Greg Raymer2005 Joe Hachem2006 Jamie Gold
How I rank the "groups":1st tier: Stu Ungar, Chris Ferguson, JC Mortenson2nd Tier: Joe Hachem, Greg Raymer, Scotty Nguyen3rd Tier: Vark, Gold, Moneymaker, Furlong (only b/c I have no idea who he is)You can give Scotty his props where he's due, but I don't think he's past Hachem or Raymer. I think Raymer now is probably the weakest of the 3, but I do think he's a very strong tourney grinder, with a lot of results outside/previous to WSOP/WPT.
Forgive my ignorance but who exactly is Furlong and what the heck is he doing now?I have heard of all the others except him :club:
99 ME champ, also got 6th in 89 ME. Wikipedia says he's a recreational player, owns a carpentry business making millions so he barely plays tourneys anymore.
i don't get it...i really don't. listen, i loooove the stu stories...his name must be associated with half of the Top 50 poker momentsbut why is he "clearly" the best?i refuse to acknowledge him anywhere near the top unless you add a statement (i.e. if they were all sober, alive and at the peak of their game who would be the best?)people, dead guys don't play. WSOP2007 = monkey > stu ungar
if stuey died due to natural causes or freak accident then there'd be a decent debate.but it's not like he died of old age. a poker player typically peaks at age 40-45...now imagine if he was alive long enough to hit that age.nobody would be talking about where stu ungar ranks amongst poker's greatest in the world because he'd be a dead beat junkie. it would be as funny as ranking Moneymaker amongst the greatest.Doyle is one of greatest, if not THEE greatest, of all time because of his ability to play through so many changes in life, changes in the game, and his discipline to stay away from drugs. greatness isn't just about beating the demons of the game, it's about beating the demons from within
Stu ungar did live to 45. he won the 1997 main event when he was 44 and died the next year. Just thought I would clear that up
Stu ungar did live to 45. he won the 1997 main event when he was 44 and died the next year. Just thought I would clear that up
for some reason i always thought he died early...thanks for the pointing that out.however, my reasoning still stands...he blew his mind when it should've been at it's best.