Should I Have Known?

.50/1 NL I'm in the CO with 10 :D 10 :club: ($85). UTG +1 ($115) raises to $3, Mid position calls (70$) and I call. So pot's about $10 going to the flop. Flop:10 :) 7 :D 4 :) Raiser bets $3, Mid position folds. At this point I immediately put him on overcards, AK or AQ and I want to get a little action from my flopped set, so I smooth call. Turn:A :club: Raiser checks. (this I thought was a little strange cause I had him on AK or AQ, but I thought maybe he had JJ and was just playing it passively. Pot was about $16, so I bet $9. Raiser then min check raises me $18. So here I now think I was right and he has AK and is now overplaying his TPTK. I then push the rest of my stack and the raiser calls. He flips A :) A :D I cry like a little girl. Rivers blanks off and I see a nice pot pushed the villians way while the table congratulates him on his fine hand. So, my question is A. Could I have put him on AA after his check raise on the turn? B. Is there anyway I wasn't going broke on this hand?What really threw me off was A. his pre flop raise was 3x the bb, generally in these games guys with AA or KK are raising 4x the bb if not more. Also his bet of less than 1/3 the pot after the flop was extremely weak which led me to believe that he completely missed and was holding over cards. Anyways, thoughts?

.50/1 NL I'm in the CO with 10 :D 10 :club: ($85). UTG +1 ($115) raises to $3, Mid position calls (70$) and I call. So pot's about $10 going to the flop. Flop:10 :) 7 :D 4 :) Raiser bets $3, Mid position folds. At this point I immediately put him on overcards, AK or AQ and I want to get a little action from my flopped set, so I smooth call. Turn:A :club: Raiser checks. (this I thought was a little strange cause I had him on AK or AQ, but I thought maybe he had JJ and was just playing it passively. Pot was about $16, so I bet $9. Raiser then min check raises me $18. So here I now think I was right and he has AK and is now overplaying his TPTK. I then push the rest of my stack and the raiser calls. He flips A :) A :D I cry like a little girl. Rivers blanks off and I see a nice pot pushed the villians way while the table congratulates him on his fine hand. So, my question is A. Could I have put him on AA after his check raise on the turn? B. Is there anyway I wasn't going broke on this hand?What really threw me off was A. his pre flop raise was 3x the bb, generally in these games guys with AA or KK are raising 4x the bb if not more. Also his bet of less than 1/3 the pot after the flop was extremely weak which led me to believe that he completely missed and was holding over cards. Anyways, thoughts?
You were victimized by slow played AA. You would have victimized him if he hadn't hit his set. That's the way it goes. I lost three buyins last night with the second or third nuts each time.BBFI right here.

Not that I know much about anything but by what you explained, it seems like you played it right. I would have been excited about my hand and I also would have thought he had a high hand. I dont know, its just you never really know. But he knew what he had and he knew he had aces so he wasn't going to loose unless you had a rf or something but by how u were betting, he knew to assume youdidn't have a hand like that. You did great!

pretty bad.you can't fall in love with 2nd setit's just 2nd set.
LMFAOI dropped $600 in three different hands in 1/2 live games in Sept with 2nd sets, all in at the FLOP. Three times, someone flopped top set over my second set. I now fold second set to pressure on an uncoordinated board.
pretty bad.you can't fall in love with 2nd setit's just 2nd set.
Assmunch :club: I probably woudl've reraised big with 1010 in position. If I get repopped I fold and don't lose my stack. I would've probably checked behind on the turn just to get tricky, if my read was the same as yours. I probably would've just called the turn and then pushed the river. And still lost my stack.
LMFAOI dropped $600 in three different hands in 1/2 live games in Sept with 2nd sets, all in at the FLOP. Three times, someone flopped top set over my second set. I now fold second set to pressure on an uncoordinated board.
I don't think you can really ever fold 2nd set on uncoordinated flop in a 1/2 game, unless you're playing against an opponent that you've played like 5000 hands with. any other time, i think folding middle set is very -ev. Most of the time you have the best hand here. especially at 1/2
hmmmm.but villain had AA.our turn push was hoooooooooorrrible
trying to goad me? $1/$2 + Middle set + Getting it in on uncoordinated flop + Long Term= make dollars.
Low limits + Middle Set + Getting It in on uncoordinated flop + vs:bottom set, two pair, top pair, anything but top set = make dollars
There.What are you talking about?Obviously in this instance dude man was up against top set, MOST of the time he won't be. MOST of the time he'll be a big favorite. LONG RUN he makes money.Yes?
There.What are you talking about?Obviously in this instance dude man was up against top set, MOST of the time he won't be. MOST of the time he'll be a big favorite. LONG RUN he makes money.Yes?
your sarcasm meter needs work. Better take it to the shop.

Based on your analysis of the hand, I think you may have mis stepped this hand in one spot. I won't necesarily say that you played the hand bad. I will give you my perspective, but I will let you know that I'd rather plays lots of small pots instead of big ones. I typically only try and play big pots with the nuts.In your assessment, you thought the OR had AK or AQ, but were confused to why they checked the A on the turn. This should send up a red flag right there. This should indicate that your opponent may have AA and you should slow down. In a cash game, I'm likely to just check behind on the turn and flat call the river. AA, AK, and AQ will likely all lead out on the river in this spot to try and gain equity from their hand. I would not raise the river because their akward turn play could be AA and you could potentially lose a large pot. Its okay to try and play small pots because it also prevents you from losing large ones. Also, when you get check raised the minimum on the turn in a cash game you are likely looking at a very very large hand, and in this case, I think its very clear that your opponent does have AA. This is where controlling the pot size becomes very important (both in cash games and tournaments). It prevents you from going broke in a tournament (although you will lose chips, but not all of them :club: )if your oppoent does have AA, and you don't lose a large pot in a cash game.If your opponent does have AK, AQ, or JJ then I think you should slow down for a few reasons. If they have AK or AQ, they are drawing dead. So check the turn behind them, and let them lead out at the river. If they have JJ you are not getting a call on the turn. Plus, they are drawing too slim to the river , so you are ultimately losing a small pot if they catch up. If a blank rolls off the river, they could lead out and you could just flat call and pick up some chips that you likely wouldn't have had you bet the turn. Also, if they check the river (its likely they don't have AA), you may be able get a call by making a bet.In the event your opponent holds KQ, KJ, or QJ, you lose your action if you bet the turn. I wouldn't necessarily "protect" my hand against a draw in this spot because the odds are too likely that they are not making it. Plus, if they miss a draw, they may bluff to try and pick it up. Once again here, you can call just in case it is AA, but you pick up extra chips you wouldn't have if he is indeed bluffing.If your opponent did lead out on the turn, I may just flat call in case it is AA, because I'm still making bank if they have AK or AQ, and I'm still not going completely broke if it is AA (although I'm still losing a lot of chips).Overall, checking the turn is IMO the best play. It prevents you from losing a lot more chips if your opponent has AA, and it gives you the opportunity to pick up chips you probably wouldn't have against a wide variety of other hands. Remember, it is always safe to play a little passive in a spot like this. A lot of people go broke with a set because its a big hand, but remember, its not the nuts. I hope this gives you some good insight.AlphaP.S. - I think it is smart that you didn't make a reraise preflop because most people would and potentially lose some more chips in this spot. By calling in position, it gave you a lot of ways to play the hand. I think you did everything really well up until the turn.

Alpha:I hope my sarcasm didn't make you feel more comfortable posting the most insanely weak advice I've ever seen on here.I'm embarrassed for you.And, for all you doubters out there that don't think posting results matters? Pleeeeeeaassssseeee think again. Even a hand like this, posting results matters.that was disgusting

Terrible call. My grandma can lay that **** down :club:
we didn't call.we pushed.or you mean preflop?unless you think villain made a horrible calljudging by your inability to read a simple post, nothing would surprise me.************Big:Is that you in the Avitar?If so, I live in California.You look strong