Anyone Interested In A Ppl Type League On Stars?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I propose this:Teams consist of 5 people, there are 9 teams There is 2 tournaments a week, each team can only play 4 players, it's ok if you play 3, but you can't play less. The entry fee I suggest for this is 20 bucks, but the tournament is set up for free in private, so you have to send the entry fee to the host and in return he gives you the password. Then points are given to each team and person depending on the finish. After every 2 weeks, on sunday there is a tournament in which the prize pool from the other tournaments is awarded. In this tournament, the 2 teams with the best finish can play 5 players, the 2 teams with the 2nd best records 4. 3rd/4th best get 3, 5th/6th gets 2, and the rest 1.The teams best players based on the performance of the preceding 2 weeks play in this tournament. The points for this tournament are doubled. Then there is also a tournament the last day of the month, where only 1 player from each team participates. That person is whoever performed the best during the month. I suggest the entry fee for this tournament is between 100-200 dollars, but has to be put up by the whole group. and the winnings are then split within the group as well.The points for this tournament are tripled. I know its crazy and I haven't proof read so I'm sure there are some flaws, but I think this has potential.Edit: for the draft, you have 4 people in each group (randomly), the picks are awarded to the captains (randomly), and after the groups are posted, each captain has 2 hours to make their pick after the person before picks (so there is a forum just for this).

The good thing about this setup is that no shows will not have as big of an effect.If we had 4 players per team, there would be 4 matches with 8 players each. If a team member didn't show then he wouldn't play in his match and that table would only have 7 players to start. Your team would still play in the other 3 matches and could still gain points.
If you had 6 player teams you could count the best 4 scores for the team score. If a team member didn't show it wouldn't hurt the teams that much.
Alright I propose this:Teams consist of 5 people, there are 9 teams There is 2 tournaments a week, each team can only play 4 players, it's ok if you play 3, but you can't play less. The entry fee I suggest for this is 20 bucks, but the tournament is set up for free in private, so you have to send the entry fee to the host and in return he gives you the password. Then points are given to each team and person depending on the finish. After every 2 weeks, on sunday there is a tournament in which the prize pool from the other tournaments is awarded. In this tournament, the 2 teams with the best finish can play 5 players, the 2 teams with the 2nd best records 4. 3rd/4th best get 3, 5th/6th gets 2, and the rest 1.The teams best players based on the performance of the preceding 2 weeks play in this tournament. The points for this tournament are doubled. Then there is also a tournament the last day of the month, where only 1 player from each team participates. That person is whoever performed the best during the month. I suggest the entry fee for this tournament is between 100-200 dollars, but has to be put up by the whole group. and the winnings are then split within the group as well.The points for this tournament are tripled. I know its crazy and I haven't proof read so I'm sure there are some flaws, but I think this has potential.Edit: for the draft, you have 4 people in each group (randomly), the picks are awarded to the captains (randomly), and after the groups are posted, each captain has 2 hours to make their pick after the person before picks (so there is a forum just for this).
This sounds like a cool idea. How long does this go on for? With regards to the draft, I don't like the idea of doing it in the forums. I think it would work better if there was a private chat on AIM or another instant messenger.
This sounds like a cool idea. How long does this go on for? With regards to the draft, I don't like the idea of doing it in the forums. I think it would work better if there was a private chat on AIM or another instant messenger.
problem with the thing you quoted, is I dont know of any site that allows freerolls. It isnt feasable.
I dont think the conept of having teamates at the same table would work. It would promote a lot of unethical play.
Bingo, it would be too easy to chip dump and soft play with more than one teammate a table.The PPL is more like a cash game than a tournament. You would find better success doing something in a private play money game then you would find doing a SNG. Once again, FCP has a great setup for even private play money tables. JS

Would the players pay one lump buy-in at the beginning or buy-in every week?Also, will the money be distributed weekly (individuals or teams to split) or given at the end of the season to teams based on their performance, or both?I think a special cash prize to the top one or two performers is a good idea.

I really don't like the idea of it being multiple sit n goes a week.I think it'd be much easier, more fun, and bigger payouts (per tourney) to have one big MTT - and award points based on final table finishes. Winners get points, and cash from the tourney.It just seems more logical to me that if my team puts 3 players at a final table we should get more points than a team who has one. I don't think you can really do this with a sit n go. It's very linear and very, well.. boring. We've tried that before and it doesn't work, the one tables. If my team has the discipline to have all of our guys show up to a tourney and only have to play 20 guys that night, we should be awarded. If we manage to get 3 FT'ers we should be awarded. Besides, the PPL isn't a sit n go format, now is it?BTW - see page 2 for my proposal.

I really don't like the idea of it being multiple sit n goes a week.I think it'd be much easier, more fun, and bigger payouts (per tourney) to have one big MTT - and award points based on final table finishes. Winners get points, and cash from the tourney.It just seems more logical to me that if my team puts 3 players at a final table we should get more points than a team who has one. I don't think you can really do this with a sit n go. It's very linear and very, well.. boring. We've tried that before and it doesn't work, the one tables. If my team has the discipline to have all of our guys show up to a tourney and only have to play 20 guys that night, we should be awarded. If we manage to get 3 FT'ers we should be awarded. Besides, the PPL isn't a sit n go format, now is it?BTW - see page 2 for my proposal.
no, the ppl is an 8 handed, one person per team per table cash game basically. The major flaw in everyone in one mtt, is there will be a very good chance that there will be softplay and dumping... poker is not meant to be a team sport, especially in one mtt. All this would do is end up seeing who the best "cheating squads" are. Read the following entry in DN's blog.. explains well why teams at the same table dont work... http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-jour...&ucat=&

I like the idea of the play money tables to make it more like cash game play, but even better would be a small stakes real money table, so it is actual cash game play, and each player could keep his winnings while earning points for his team. Perhaps have a $25 NL or .25/.50 limit table, maybe even mix it up so the teams could arrange to have their players play in their best format. That would give more strategy to drafting. There should be no rebuys and points based on money held after a certain amount of time, then playing a final round until the button reaches the left of where it started.

Ok, I will try to put together a list of 4 or 5 of you guys that have expressed interest in running the league and we can try to get a time and place together to have a live chat to get the setup hammered out.
this sounds like a good idea.

OK how about we have a chat on Sunday evening 8pm est?Here is a list of guys that have shown interest in helping run the league that are invited to join. My screenname on AIM is chopper320. Just let me know if this time works for you guys and your screenname. Thanks.eboyd21myplayisrabsupertouchwaffles2003capthowdy981sfkidthe stein

I'd be interested in playing too.The only thing I don't get is how the captains would determine their draft depth charts...that's half the fun of the ppl. I guess sharkscope and pokerdb stats or something. And if we did the league a 2nd time everyone who tears this one up would be quality draft picks.