How Do You Full Timers Deal With It?

Okay here's the deal.When you shove your chips in, consider what you're doing. You are putting yourself AT RISK. Is your goal to money and you're three away? Then fold in. Is your goal to win the tournament? Then you're going to have to PUT YOURSELF at risk. Risk can even be being an 85% favorite... thats NOT a sure thing.AA loses. 87s loses. Everything loses. Even the nuts.Bad beats are part of the game. If you can't deal with them... if you really need to hit things after every beat... then seriously you're in the wrong game. Go knit a sweater or something.

Okay here's the deal.When you shove your chips in, consider what you're doing. You are putting yourself AT RISK. Is your goal to money and you're three away? Then fold in. Is your goal to win the tournament? Then you're going to have to PUT YOURSELF at risk. Risk can even be being an 85% favorite... thats NOT a sure thing.AA loses. 87s loses. Everything loses. Even the nuts.Bad beats are part of the game. If you can't deal with them... if you really need to hit things after every beat... then seriously you're in the wrong game. Go knit a sweater or something.
Thanks. I don't have to hit something after taking a beat. After taking 4 in a row I am definetly pissed off. I am not a violent person so when I said I could rip the head off of a live animal I didn't mean it literally. I was just interested in finding out how other players (especially ones that make poker thier living) deal with the frustration of loosing consistenly even when they are playing well. I have a hard time believing that you all just shrug your shoulders and say 'oh well, that's poker'.By the way, are you seriously suggesting that I fold the nuts here with one card to come?
Thanks. I don't have to hit something after taking a beat. After taking 4 in a row I am definetly pissed off. I am not a violent person so when I said I could rip the head off of a live animal I didn't mean it literally. I was just interested in finding out how other players (especially ones that make poker thier living) deal with the frustration of loosing consistenly even when they are playing well. I have a hard time believing that you all just shrug your shoulders and say 'oh well, that's poker'.By the way, are you seriously suggesting that I fold the nuts here with one card to come?
eventually yes you are going to have to find a way to feel that way.
By the way, are you seriously suggesting that I fold the nuts here with one card to come?
No, he's suggesting that the nuts won't always win with one card to come. You're correct to get all your money in, but you won't always take down the pot.
No, he's suggesting that the nuts won't always win with one card to come. You're correct to get all your money in, but you won't always take down the pot.
Maybe I'm not being very clear. I don't need to know why this happend. I was looking to find out what others do to deal with the frustration that poker can bring at times.
Maybe I'm not being very clear. I don't need to know why this happend. I was looking to find out what others do to deal with the frustration that poker can bring at times.
ok im gonna give you a really honest answer that i hope settles this for you.i used to get mad and throw stuff and yell at my screen.my moniter has chips in it where i threw some keys at it once.i broke a mouse once also. now ive been up and down and had so many bad beats and seen it all that a two outer doesnt even phase me. i have made a conscience effort to try to calm myself down though. sometimes things just start going very badly so i stop playing because i can feel myself getting at that point. however, from working on it every time i get those feelings it takes more and more to get me that way. my thoguths are a little scattered so i guess heres my point1) recogonize when its bothering you, try to let it go2) accept before you even sit down that you might lose3) dont play when you feel frustratedoh and try to take it in humor. i find if i can laugh about it i can feel better about it.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I really am looking for advice here. I have just been knocked out of 4 straight tourneys where I have gotten my money in as better than a 9:1 favorite. I'm pretty sure I could rip the head off of a live animal right now (nothing too big, maybe a rat or a frog).How do you guys deal with the frustration of playing good poker but still coming up on the short end of it even when you are a huge favorite time after time? I've tried to just get back up on the horse but as you can see from my statements above, that's not working so well for me right now.
Answer: you always think long-term. The End.
WOW 4 straight tourneys?!?! sickest cold streak ever...just sick.. how much did that end up costing you?Seriously I cant imagine losing 4 tourneys in a row to bad beats. Just quit.
Is there any other way to lose a tourney? :club:

1) recogonize when its bothering you, try to let it go2) accept before you even sit down that you might lose3) dont play when you feel frustratedThat's it .... if you can't recognize your own feelings to ensure you play your best at all times .... if you can't accept that the best hand doesn't always win .... if you can't quit the session in order to save youreslf ..... you shouldn't play the game.Even the best of the best have a hard time suffering beat after beat (look at the recent threads on DN on HSP) but if you accept that **** happens and can and will happen occaisionally more than statistical averages say they shoud, then you'll have the ability to survive. Every hand is a new hand and has nothing to do with the previous hand, play your A game every hand.Very simplistic but 100% true. **** happens, deal with it or don't play.

I'm in the same situation as you right now. I try to stay positive and know I'm getting my money in good. I'm on a break now, but when I do get a bad beat, I like to listen to the words of a true master of the game. His insight strenthens me and makes me a better player. It will help you. http://fstln.com/pokerhands/fri6-9/fri6-9_media/fri6-9.wmv

Hey Zoo,One thing I noticed from your hand history that no one else mentioned (unless I missed it) is that you are playing in a $4 tourney. Those are like freerolls - people will call just about anything and make donkey plays only because there is "no" money involved. Try moving up to a $20-$50 tourney and see how you fare against a tighter game.Paraphrasing what someone above said, a bad beat is only bad if it puts you on tilt or if you don't learn anything from it. Otherwise, it is just poker. If you think everyone is going to play the way the "books" say to play, well....Good Luck4D

Hey Zoo,One thing I noticed from your hand history that no one else mentioned (unless I missed it) is that you are playing in a $4 tourney. Those are like freerolls - people will call just about anything and make donkey plays only because there is "no" money involved. Try moving up to a $20-$50 tourney and see how you fare against a tighter game.Paraphrasing what someone above said, a bad beat is only bad if it puts you on tilt or if you don't learn anything from it. Otherwise, it is just poker. If you think everyone is going to play the way the "books" say to play, well....Good Luck4D
ROFLMAOPlay higher cuz at higher levels then you know you are against the nuts always. Love it. :club: A little something I just noticed. You are in the 15/30 blind level and already at only 550 chips starting. Try to be a little more selective preflop. With an M of 18ish at this level, you have probably already done something wrong. Play hands you are willing to play your whole stack for during that first hour. Here is a strategy guide that I found very useful for these 180's, even the $4.40 ones (for those of you that still consider dollar bills real money). http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=53305
Last 4 tourneys:me 87, board 56J9, push other guy J9 hits J on the river, gg meme 88, flop x8x, push, otherguy 99 hits 9 on the river, gg meme 43, flop J43, push (small stack), other guy AQ, turn Q, river J, gg meme 77, flop x7x, push, other guy KK hits K on the turn, gg meLike I said, better than 9:1 4 in a row.
oh ok. I thought you were 9 to 1 favourite all in preflop 4 times in a row.
Hey Zoo,One thing I noticed from your hand history that no one else mentioned (unless I missed it) is that you are playing in a $4 tourney. Those are like freerolls - people will call just about anything and make donkey plays only because there is "no" money involved. Try moving up to a $20-$50 tourney and see how you fare against a tighter game.
No. Bad advice. Very, very bad.
you're an idiot, if you cant beat bad players then you arent good enough to beat better players

What I don't get is why there have been lots of people being just complete assholes. You don't have to be the biggest prick in the world if you want to get your point across.That being said, though, despite their prickish antics, they are right.You win those hands a milliontimes as a severe overdog, and the only reason why you lose them are because of random fluctuations of just dumb luck.

Lol, you keep playing your tight-a.ss AQ or better and I'll keep playing my way, K? Loosing as a 9:1 fav has absolutely nothing to do with the starting hands I am playing.Unfortunatly I don't have all of the hand histories because I have a nasty habit of shutting down the table before the hh has a chance to post after I get knocked out of a tournament. This is the only one I have so you will just have to trust me:PokerStars Game #6355058656: Tournament #32243851, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2006/09/20 - 14:06:45 (ET)Table '32243851 8' 9-max Seat #5 is the buttonSeat 1: pokerkev (4550 in chips) Seat 2: tobzon (790 in chips) Seat 3: JuggyBC (1805 in chips) Seat 4: snapperjo (850 in chips) Seat 5: SwampFLoger (1465 in chips) Seat 6: bigroostah (3295 in chips) Seat 8: Hoser67 (2615 in chips) Seat 9: zooooooz (550 in chips) bigroostah: posts small blind 15Hoser67: posts big blind 30*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to zooooooz [8s 7s]zooooooz: calls 30pokerkev: calls 30tobzon: folds JuggyBC: raises 60 to 90snapperjo: folds SwampFLoger: calls 90bigroostah: folds Hoser67: folds zooooooz: calls 60pokerkev: calls 60*** FLOP *** [5c 6c Jd]zooooooz: checks pokerkev: checks JuggyBC: checks SwampFLoger: checks *** TURN *** [5c 6c Jd] [9d]zooooooz: checks pokerkev: bets 360JuggyBC: calls 360SwampFLoger: folds zooooooz: raises 100 to 460 and is all-inpokerkev: calls 100JuggyBC: calls 100*** RIVER *** [5c 6c Jd 9d] [Jc]pokerkev: bets 1350KILA449 is connected JuggyBC: folds *** SHOW DOWN ***pokerkev: shows [Jh 9h] (a full house, Jacks full of Nines)zooooooz: shows [8s 7s] (a straight, Five to Nine)pokerkev collected 1785 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 1785 | Rake 0 Board [5c 6c Jd 9d Jc]Seat 1: pokerkev showed [Jh 9h] and won (1785) with a full house, Jacks full of NinesSeat 2: tobzon folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: JuggyBC folded on the RiverSeat 4: snapperjo folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: SwampFLoger (button) folded on the TurnSeat 6: bigroostah (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 8: Hoser67 (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 9: zooooooz showed [8s 7s] and lost with a straight, Five to Nine
um ok let me get this straight.you have 550 in chips and you limp utg for 30 with 87s...YSAPthat answers it

Ok, I'm not going to get into the preflop action, that's another issue.Let's look at this from the point you pushed all in:The pot is 1585 after you push with a raise of 100. That gives anyone odds of almost 16 to 1, any hand worth a damn is going to call this bet.Your 78 vs J9 is an 11 to 1 favorite, 16:1 > 11:1 equals automatic call.Against a flush draw, which there are two of you are a 5:1 favorite, again instaCALL.Against a set, you are about a 4.5:1 favorite. Without a huge over bet anyone that has half a brain will call this raise. You can't make this kind of move and expect people to fold without a must larger raise. Next time I'd wait to push pre-flop for 500 or so with something better. GL

Ok, I'm not going to get into the preflop action, that's another issue.Let's look at this from the point you pushed all in:The pot is 1585 after you push with a raise of 100. That gives anyone odds of almost 16 to 1, any hand worth a damn is going to call this bet.Your 78 vs J9 is an 11 to 1 favorite, 16:1 > 11:1 equals automatic call.Against a flush draw, which there are two of you are a 5:1 favorite, again instaCALL.Against a set, you are about a 4.5:1 favorite. Without a huge over bet anyone that has half a brain will call this raise. You can't make this kind of move and expect people to fold without a must larger raise. Next time I'd wait to push pre-flop for 500 or so with something better. GL
LOL, who said anything about wanting them to fold? I have the nuts with one card to come. Of course I don't expect them to fold to a $100 raise. That is not the point at all. And if you can tell me that you would fold here I call BS.

Well you original post asks about these bad beats and one way to avoid them would be to make these kinds of moves with a larger stack to avoid it or just not play this hand in this situation.

You yourself answered your own question, you WANT these calls, how the hell would any of us make any money if people folded every time you bet.Dont fall prey to results orientated thinking when you lose a FEW hands in a row.Gunn