***official Chicago Bears Thread***

What radio?Seattle is bringing him in tomorrow to try and get a deal done. Which basically gives Denver the 6th pick in the draft.Also, all 3 guys are signed now. Peppers, Taylor, Manumaleuna.
If I was Seattle I would be offering Denver my bad first round pick (in the teens I believe) not the 6th pick.lmfao at the idea that Denver would give up Marshall for a 2nd year WR with zero track record and an underachieving TE. give me a break.
  • Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now my cynicism has washed away and I've left myself vulnerable because I'm officially excited about the bears again. God damnit o thought I was off that narcotic

Wow! Overtime thriller, baby! Osweiller for President!!!

Sorry, wrong thread.   Mods, please move.

What radio?
670 or 1000...my bro heard it
lmfao at the idea that Denver would give up Marshall for a 2nd year WR with zero track record and an underachieving TE. give me a break.
This is the same team that made the Cutler trade...
670 or 1000...my bro heard itThis is the same team that made the Cutler trade...
Was definitely 1000, I've had 670 on most of the day.Definitely recommend skipping 1000 altogether, that rumor solidifies that, lol. Especially since the Bears are still claiming they're not looking to trade him, but sources inside say they're trying super hard. But as long as they're hiding it, I don't see actual names coming out yet.
I think the Bears are looking for a 2nd round pick or something like that for Olsen. Need a safety and the draft is safety deep.
They dream.They could maybe get a 4th round pick for Olsen.getting peppers is great though.
  • 5 months later...

What a joke!I know it's preseason game 1, but all week they've said they'll play a quarter, maybe more, being a new offense and all. They give Cutler one series and 2 passes!!

What a joke!I know it's preseason game 1, but all week they've said they'll play a quarter, maybe more, being a new offense and all. They give Cutler one series and 2 passes!!
you god damn rube! why do people fall for this every year. THe only preseason game even worth watching (for hte starters) is the 3rd game, and even that's debatable.
  • 4 weeks later...

People are going to bitch about the call, and second guess it ( though not as much as if they would have lost) but lovie smith 100 percent made the right call going for it 4th and goal from the 1 in the 8th minute of the 4th quarter, and for the first time I was proud to have him as the bears coach for making that call. I'm a lovie guy from here on out.

People are going to bitch about the call, and second guess it ( though not as much as if they would have lost) but lovie smith 100 percent made the right call going for it 4th and goal from the 1 in the 8th minute of the 4th quarter, and for the first time I was proud to have him as the bears coach for making that call. I'm a lovie guy from here on out.
You can call it ballsy all day long, but not taking the lead late in the 4th is pretty stupid.
You can call it ballsy all day long, but not taking the lead late in the 4th is pretty stupid.
No, no it's not brv. It's not stupid, and I didn't call it ballsy either, and while it is "ballsy" to go with the correct mathematical play in the face of overwhelming public sentiment and conventional wisdom, what I would call it actually is " smart"here's one site talking about it already, I hope others go into it furtherhttp://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/09/lovies-blunders.html
4thDownAnalysis.com, but I did get several requests to look at another controversial 4th down decision. (And I'll always be happy to take requests.) Down 14-13 to DET, CHI faced a 4th and goal from the 1 with about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. A FG is nearly automatic, giveing CHI a 2-point lead and a 0.59 WP (win percentage)Conversion attempts from the 1 are successful about 68% of the time. A successful TD gives CHI a 6-point lead and a 0.79 WP. A failed attempt leaves DET at its own 1, but with a 1-point lead, worth 0.44 WP for CHI. On net, the conversion attempt is worth 0.68*0.79 + (1-0.68)*0.44 = 0.68 WP. Going for it was the right call by a large margin--0.68 to 0.59.
Kicking the field goal actually gives the bears a lower chance to win the game than going for it on forth down, there for not stupid. You may not agree with the play, and the wp's might not be quite accurate, but at worst, at the very, very very worst, his decision was a coin flip, and if it's a coinflip, it's not a stupid decision, it's a meaningless one.Further on in the article, the guy argues that smith's decision to punt on fourth and 7 later on in 4th quarter was a much larger error, given how little time was left on the board, and how little utility there is kicking a ball from the 38.
LOL - He'll be coaching at North Texas State next year. He's awful.
I concur.
No, no it's not brv. It's smart. It's counter intuitive, but it's smart.here's one site talking about it already, I hope others go into it furtherhttp://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/09/lovies-blunders.html
Then please explain why they didn't go for it on 4th and 3 on the first drive of the game after Forte got stopped on 3rd and 1? The offensive line is bad.
No, no it's not brv. It's smart. Further on in the article, the guy argues that smith's decision to punt on fourth and 7 later on in 4th quarter was a much larger error, given how little time was left on the board, and how little utility there is kicking a ball from the 38.
I agree here. At least take the 5 yard delay of game penalty...

also, it's not like this was a short amount of time left in the game. If you kick the field goal, you then have to kick the ball off to the lions with 9 minutes left. They are, on average, going to get the ball back at the 35 ( which is much, much different than the 1) and have a chance to make an evern bigger play on the kick off return. So they have 9 minutes to move down the field, which is plenty of time.. even if they fail, they can put, make a defensive stand and get the ball back. And also, because it's a 2 point game, they only need to get it into field goal range. 9 minutes is plenty of time for that. That's why the bear's winning percentage is only 59% by kicking that field goal. Going for it there gives the bears a 5 point lead if they succeed, and if they fail the lions are in a much worse position on the one yard line ( for obvious reasons) they don't get a free kick off return, and have to run a conservative offense making it highly likely to punt, the resultant punt would put the bears almost in field goal position already, and with less time left on the clock. I know conventional wisdom says " you take the points, the points are the points" but conventional wisdom is often wrong.

No, no it's not brv. It's not stupid, and I didn't call it ballsy either, and while it is "ballsy" to go with the correct mathematical play in the face of overwhelming public sentiment and conventional wisdom, what I would call it actually is " smart"here's one site talking about it already, I hope others go into it furtherhttp://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/09/lovies-blunders.html
That article just proves that Lovie is an idiot.They say that a 19 yard FG is made only 68% of the time? Is that even possible? Are they talking about Robbie Gould or the league average? Because if they are talking about the league average, then their math is flawed.Also, they are obviously showing that Lovie went for it without even considering the math. (or Gould's history at 19 yards) Since he didn't go for the more obvious 4th down play later.EDIT: I see you already saw this and agree with me.EDIT 2: Wade Phillips kicks twice on 4th down from his side of the field last night. I hate Wade Phillips. How have the Cowboys not fired him?
That article just proves that Lovie is an idiot.They say that a 19 yard FG is made only 68% of the time? Is that even possible? Are they talking about Robbie Gould or the league average? Because if they are talking about the league average, then their math is flawed.
No no no. You read it wrong. 4th and goal conversions from the 1 are 68%.
A FG is nearly automatic, giveing CHI a 2-point lead and a 0.59 WP.
Conversion attempts from the 1 are successful about 68% of the time. A successful TD gives CHI a 6-point lead and a 0.79 WP.

Average stats don't really matter. Nothing happening in that game was really average. Offensive line is awful, the Lions hadn't gotten a first down in what? 2 quarters? I think you take the lead while you can, because clearly we couldn't score no matter what we were doing. It's like he completely forgot the last 5 drives we had with amazing field position and no points.

Average stats don't really matter. Nothing happening in that game was really average. Offensive line is awful, the Lions hadn't gotten a first down in what? 2 quarters? I think you take the lead while you can, because clearly we couldn't score no matter what we were doing. It's like he completely forgot the last 5 drives we had with amazing field position and no points.
Even if you half the chance of making the first down ( which is preposterous), the difference in wp of going and not going for it becomes a coin flip., not the stupidest decision ever and worth vilifying him about.