Would You?... Really?

Report the error?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Call the floorman? Yes or No

• yes
    • no
    • I honestly don't know if I would.

So... you're still playing at the WSOP. Down to +/- 25 players and they announce a break and color up the $5K chips.You buy up the extra chips from the others at your table and rush to get to the bathroom.When you return, you notice that you were colored up an extra 2 million when they exchanged your 5K chips for $25K chips at 5/2.5 instead of 5/1. (The floor personnel did the math like they were exchanging $10K chips instead of $25K.No-one else seems to notice and whil eyou're thinking about it you hear the words: "Shuffle up and deal!"Do you call the floorman and point out the error?

Not that, for 12M I wouldn't be tempted to just stfu but...Yes, for two reasons - first of all it's not a win if I win.Secondly, if I don't tell someone, sooner or later someone will probably find out. Even if I never admitted to it, there would be those who said I knew of the mistake yet I didn't say anything. I wonder what will happen if they find out Gold got the chips.So, if I don't tell someone, I'm a loser, a liar, and cheater.

Not that, for 12M I wouldn't be tempted to just stfu but...Yes, for two reasons - first of all it's not a win if I win.Secondly, if I don't tell someone, sooner or later someone will probably find out. Even if I never admitted to it, there would be those who said I knew of the mistake yet I didn't say anything. I wonder what will happen if they find out Gold got the chips.So, if I don't tell someone, I'm a loser, a liar, and cheater.
QFT
So... you're still playing at the WSOP. Down to +/- 25 players and they announce a break and color up the $5K chips.You buy up the extra chips from the others at your table and rush to get to the bathroom.When you return, you notice that you were colored up an extra 2 million when they exchanged your 5K chips for $25K chips at 5/2.5 instead of 5/1. (The floor personnel did the math like they were exchanging $10K chips instead of $25K.No-one else seems to notice and whil eyou're thinking about it you hear the words: "Shuffle up and deal!"Do you call the floorman and point out the error?
I think they double audit everything.
If that's the case, then they messed up when they audited it. there were 2Mill in extra chips in play.I'm pretty sure that all players that were colored up got the extra chips, but I may be reading this wrong.http://craigsjournal.pokerworks.com/2006/0...e-from/#more-99
Or possibly he just made up a hypothetical question after hearing that extra chips were in play by the end of the ME this year..........
Not hypothetical.
I know that they don't!

A stack (20) of 5K chips equals 100,000, which is exchanged for four 25K chips. A rack of 5K chips equals 500,000 (5 X 20 X 5K), which should be exchanged for twenty 25K chips (a full stack). Here is the critical error. A five stack rack of 5K chips should swap for a single stack of 25K chips but, in fact,
the color-up was made at the rate of two stacks for one rack
. So anyone with a rack of 5K chips worth 500K in fact got 1 million in chips; a half million more chips than the value they should have received. One player with two racks may have received not 1 million, but 2 million. We believe that an excess of approximately 2 million chips were added at this color-up by incorrectly exchanging the $5,000 chips for double their worth.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2006/9/two-m...tions-three.htm

Although it is a mistake by tournament officials, I think that a contestant should attempt to rectify the error if they knew about it. Ultimately, you have to be able to live with yourself. I suppose those with little or no conscience could justify not reporting it. Since we ultimately have to answer for all our actions, I would not like to have to answer for this. I think poker is a bit more like golf (where integrity is a part of the game) than other sports like football (where cheating is routine). I'd prefer to think my opponents would have some honor.Burgerman

Although it is a mistake by tournament officials, I think that a contestant should attempt to rectify the error if they knew about it. Ultimately, you have to be able to live with yourself. I suppose those with little or no conscience could justify not reporting it. Since we ultimately have to answer for all our actions, I would not like to have to answer for this. I think poker is a bit more like golf (where integrity is a part of the game) than other sports like football (where cheating is routine). I'd prefer to think my opponents would have some honor.Burgerman
I doubt that the staff could fix the errors if one player's stack were brought to their attention.

This did not happen to me. It is a hypothetical question based on the 2006 WSOP. In my mind it is easier to imagine one floorman at one table making the exchange error than all three (or four) tables having the exact same error made. I think the chances are good that at least one in three players would say something if the error was made at each table.See below link for the story.http://www.pokernews.com/news/2006/9/two-m...estions-one.htmOne player form each table bought up all the $5K chips. They were then chipped up. The chipping up happened after the race for the spare chips. I suspect that no-one else was watching (running to dinner/bathroom/quickie phone call/quickie anything :club: ) so it is very possible no-one caught the error. It would be an easy error to make especially since a floorman would have been ready to follow established protocol, exchanging $5K chips for $10K. There was a late decision to exchange $25K's instead. If you already programmed your brain to exchange 1/2 you would trade one rack of $5K's for one half rack of the next denomination. It is also possible the floorperson didn't really look at the chips, they handed him the chips & he just assumed they were $10K's. There are more than enough stories from the WSOP about inept floormen to make this believable."Also, often 10 or 15 minutes before the color-up break, the floor staff will come around to each table and give the biggest stack a couple of racks and ask them to: "start buying up" the lowest denomination chips. This can usually be done without interfering with the final hands of a round and it facilitates the color-up by having most of the chips consolidated into the hands of one player, who can then have the chips color-up into large denomination chips. This is a convention that has developed in most tournaments but does lead to potential for large exchanges of chips between the floor staff and a single player at each table. Such a concentration of chips could mean that inadvertent mistakes would be magnified."I like this look at it from "Gazman": "Poker is about exploiting edges, but on the other hand the integrity of the game is of paramount importance. It's not the players fault - it is up to the Tournament Directors to uphold the integrity of the game. All that should be on the players mind is how to win the tournament. "Is this a 2 million dollar edge?This is my first post, thanks for noticing. Thought it was worth everyone's time. I hope to contribute. :D

1st off why is anyone surprised that harrahs fu.cked up coloring up chips? They were too cheap to buy more cards and put old marked ones into play in the HORSE event! :club: They are ruining the WSOP just but the way they are running things there! :D

If there was a 2 million dollar mistake that wasnt in your favour (you lost 2million)Do you rate your chances of getting anyone to believe the mistake?If you have to grin and bear it in the above situation why not do it here? at least the grin will be real B)

Welcome to the forum, Jamie.

I have problems remembering **** and counting stuff correctly (ADD/sucking at math/slight dislexia). I think I wouldnt notice or I would just be in doubt for a long time without telling anyone so I wouldn't look retarded in front of everyone.On the other hand, if I knew for sure what my chipcount was because I counted it 3 or 4 times, and then I knew for sure that I had 2 mil extra in chips after the break, I would certainly inform the floor. Mainly because Im an extremely paranoid person, I'd worry that the cardplayer people would figure it out, or that someone would randomly ask for a chipcount, that the TV people would know, or that it would come out on TV later on and people would think I'm a cheater, etc... So yea, I'd for sure give my 2 mil chips back, regardless of how big the 1st prize is.

If I knew that without a doubt I had been given more chips, I would alert the floorperson.It's dishonest to knowingly keep additional chips that you did not earn through play.How would you feel if you knew for a fact that someone at your table had been the recipient of additional chips? Say it's a very strong player who will be in a better position to bully you and the others with his added chips. Would that be fair to you or the others?

Not hypothetical that Harrah's staff colored up incorrectly.
Right. As I have said twice now, we know that.His hypothetical question was "What if all 2 million chips DEFINITELY went to one player and you were that player."If you could save your corrections until I'm actually wrong, I'd really apreciate it.

I have only read about half of the posts on this topic, but that was enough for me. I don't want to come off sounding like a saint, because I do have my vices, but I have 5 kids and I live with the belief that I cannot teach them honesty, integrity, pride, work ethic, etc... unless I live it. I truly believe this in all aspects of my life, I cannot stand a hypocrit in any fashion. Growing up during the Jim Baker/Jimmy Swaggert days, I really have a distaste for religious hypocrits. I don't have any problem with ANY religion, or anyone that lives that life. Anyway, I don't want to get off on any religious tangaent, but I have to try to live in such a way that I can teach my kids honesty, and I can't do that if I can't look them in the eye. So yes, I would say something. Besides, isn't the way you play supposed to decide how good you are? What is the difference between taking those "extra" chips and taking some chips when everyone is at the bathroom?