Main Event Ppv - Phil Gordon

Phil Gordon has cemented himself in the Poker Pantheon as the biggest d00che bag alive. Worst commentating ever, bar none.According to Phil:Doug Kim is 33Doyle Brunson is 79Ro Sham Bo is a side business. Please feel free to add to his list of d00che baggy-ness below. I think Celebrity Poker Showdown is calling Phil...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil and his sidekick Ali ruined it for me.I really wanted to just listen to the players and watch the action. Instead I was stuck with listening to continuous inane commentary pointing out stuff that was already obvious, or making guesses that turned out to be wrong more times than not, countless interviews which, although would be interesting at other times, took away from watching the action, and the stupid "rock paper scissors" contests. Half of the time I couldn't tell what the bets / raise amounts were because the commentators refused to give me that info. And the live crowd had that info beause the announcer there was telling them what was what, but I couldn't hear the damn announcer because Phil and / or Ali were blabbing on about something else.It felt like amateur hour.Having digital cable, it would be a neat option to just turn off the commentary but keep the sound feed to the players on. That would have made it so much more enjoyable for me.

I like Phil Gordonthere, I said it
do you also like having man-sex?

The commentary was the reason I bought the ppv event. If I just wanted to follow the action, I could have done that for free.I was very happy with it. I think they did a good job, and enjoyed it very much.

I know Phil GordonPhil Gordon is a friend of mine.You sir, are no Phil Gordon.
Its cool, Im sure I have a friend who is a d00che bag too...Im sure we all do. There is no shame in that.

There was some good commentating. I like when Phil would discuss certain tells, like Gold bluffing with his sloppy raises in the pot. Overall though I wish they did not interview other poker players while the action was going and that they talked a little less. Gotta cut them a little slack since this was the first live televised broadcast from the ME.

There was some good commentating. I like when Phil would discuss certain tells, like Gold bluffing with his sloppy raises in the pot. Overall though I wish they did not interview other poker players while the action was going and that they talked a little less. Gotta cut them a little slack since this was the first live televised broadcast from the ME.
I hear ya, its just amusing to me that Phil didnt know Doyle Brunson's age...and didnt know it was his birthday when he was a guest on the show. There are a whole slew of players they could have gotten to do better commentary. Ali didnt do so bad but again they talked to much and Phil was supposed to be the expert and he is a mediocre player at best. Any of their guests minus Zolotow and Grey would have done a better job.

I don't mind Jamie Gold, but I did mind the commentating. I guess that's why most of these things are edited, because it was frickin' horrible.I was about to fly to Vegas to wish breast-cancer on his grandmother if I missed one more hand due to roshambo.

I would love to see / hear any of you commentate a live event. Its not quite as easy as you probably believe it is. Filling time, no silent gaps of more than 2 seconds, not only pressure sometimes, but when the event doesn't give you anything to talk about...

I would love to see / hear any of you commentate a live event. Its not quite as easy as you probably believe it is. Filling time, no silent gaps of more than 2 seconds, not only pressure sometimes, but when the event doesn't give you anything to talk about...
Im pretty sure ESPN isnt going to call me up and ask me to do live commentary. If they did I would turn them down so I wouldnt embarrass myself. My point is that this guy has done live commentary for CPS and seemed to do fine...but he totally sucked it up last night. He tried to do too much. Talked to much and the effing RO-SHAM-BO has got to stop. Its funny when you see it on ESPNs 'The Nuts' but its not funny to see it in every segment over a 12 hour live event.
Im pretty sure ESPN isnt going to call me up and ask me to do live commentary. If they did I would turn them down so I wouldnt embarrass myself. My point is that this guy has done live commentary for CPS and seemed to do fine...but he totally sucked it up last night. He tried to do too much. Talked to much and the effing RO-SHAM-BO has got to stop. Its funny when you see it on ESPNs 'The Nuts' but its not funny to see it in every segment over a 12 hour live event.
anyone know the final tally of roshambo?I pray to god gordon lost money.edit: I dont hate gordon i find him annoying after a while though. He did a fine job imo, but hes not my favorite. I did like his book though.
anyone know the final tally of roshambo?I pray to god gordon lost money.edit: I dont hate gordon i find him annoying after a while though. He did a fine job imo, but hes not my favorite. I did like his book though.
I think Phil lost 'I dont care' out of 'who gives a sh!t'...but i could be wrong.
The best part was Phil Gordon trying to explain "Fold Equity" to Chris Ferguson
Or when he tried to tell Doyle that Binger had a double gutted straight draw. Again...what a d00che.